Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2001, 05:06 AM   #21
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...well, maybe - yes. I think that some kind of 'dictatorship of reason' would server best. Democracy, as it is nowadays, has the big disadvantage, that everyone is allowed to vote. As there are many people who are not familiar with politics, have no clue of economy at all -- these are the people who elect politicans for questianable reasons, maybe they like his face, his charisma or merely like his statements - which are usually quiet exaggerated. So normally the winner is not the person with the greatest qualifiction but the person with the greatest popularity...

...I have to admit that i do not know a way to avoid this, though. Our constitution says every one is to be treaded equally regardless of origin, religion, gender a.s.o, and i actually like this special paragraph - but i don't think, that democracy works very well...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:39 AM   #22
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I must admit I have a problem with saying "This is not a good reason for voting" to people LG. Who decides what is a good reason.

When you are saying that you must vote for *these* reasons you are one step away from saying that you must vote for *my* reasons. And then you are only one step away from saying you must vote for *my* candidate. Not good at all I think.

Democracry needs to serve the people, at present it doesn't do that IMO. But that doesn't mean we can give up on it just yet. I admit that I think we need some kind of revolution (preferably peaceful) but it will not come for a while as I have said repeatedly. And when it does I think we need some kind of democracy in operation - that is where the USSR went wrong IMO. It didn't listen to the people once in power.

Once capitalism is abolished then in theory there will be no need for a political state as an entity. However this is looking into the very, very, distant future.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 07:20 AM   #23
KHaN
Drow Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Once capitalism is abolished then in theory there will be no need for a political state as an entity. However this is looking into the very, very, distant future.

I'm not really sure people CAN "do away" with capitalism. It's not so much a way of greed per se as it is a competition between one body vs another body. It doesn't matter if you believe in Creation or Evolution (or something else) history through written record clearly shows that man has been in competition for resources since he discovered there was someone else that wanted what he had (ie private ownership). Look at the animal kingdom the competition between preditors for land rites sometimes becomes 'kill or be killed'.
My point is that through "free enterprise" we have developed a very advanced way (ie capitalism) to compete for anything and everything. Like it or not human nature is about survival (namely self-preservation)...and that only includes others when self-preservation is overridden by intense emotions or isn't a concern. Capitalism is here to stay because of our deepest ingrained human beliefs. Do away with competition for resources and then I might say 'maybe'. With an ever increasing population on this planet though I say 'not a chance'!
Old 12-14-2001, 07:22 PM   #24
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

And grow beards?

I see Dramnek has a hitherto unappreciated sense of humour.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2001, 07:46 PM   #25
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:

I see Dramnek has a hitherto unappreciated sense of humour.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Uh Oh, Cheeta is back! Everybody straighten up and act like we haven't been running rough shod in the war forum [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

J/K Glad your back, did you catch up on your work?