Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 05:04 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I had a friend question my faith in God right after the terrorist attack on America. Her question was simply put, "Where is your God today?"

She was very hurt, as all Americans were, so I tried not to react defensively. Since that moment I have prayed and grieved over the disastrous events. However, I believe I have the answer. I know where my God was the morning of September 11, 2001! He was very busy.

First of all, he was trying to discourage anyone from taking this flight. Those four flights together held over 1000 passengers and there was only 266 aboard.
He was on 4 commercial flights giving terrified passengers the ability to stay calm. Not one of the family members who was called by a loved one on one of the hijacked planes said that passengers were screaming in the background. On one of the flights he was giving strength to passengers to try to overtake the hijackers.

He was busy trying to create obstacles for employees at the World Trade Center. After all only around 20,000 were at the towers when the first jet hit. Since the buildings hold over 50,000 workers, this was a miracle in itself. How many of the people who were employed at the WTC told the media that they were late for work or they had traffic delays.

He was holding up 2 110-storey buildings so that 2/3 of the workers could get out. I was so amazed that the top of the towers didn't topple when the jets impacted.

Although this is without a doubt the worst thing I have seen in my life, I can see God's miracles in every bit of it. I keep thinking about my friend and
praying for her every chance I have. I can't imagine going through such a difficult time and not believing in God. Life would be hopeless.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-17-2001, 05:15 AM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

He also gave a group of passengers the courage to try to overpower their hijackers.

That is a beautiful post Memnoch.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:19 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

Although this is without a doubt the worst thing I have seen in my life, I can see God's miracles in every bit of it. I keep thinking about my friend and
praying for her every chance I have. I can't imagine going through such a difficult time and not believing in God. Life would be hopeless.

Not meaning to take this off topic or into a religous debate but IMO believing in god is just an fictional source of emotional support for a person. People create different ways of dealing with things. For me, I use my conscience to deal with things like that, and talking with friends. For others my belief is they use god as someone to look to for support suring emotional turmoil whether joy or sadness or anger. And this is great for them as religion and prayers to god are their way to express their emotions to themselves in their subconscience while they are thinking they are "praying" to god. Remember this is only MY opinion and Im not telling you the way it is but the way I percieve it to be So you dont have to rely on god. He is not the saviour of all problems, but then again maybe he is, since he is part of all religious human beings. Part of their mind. A haven that they can retreat and appeal.
Did I take this off topic?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:40 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Memnoch - first off, I am happy that you have found a way to turn this terrible event into a source of comfort and strengthened belief in your god. I do not desire - nor do I believe I could anyway - to poke holes in your belief.

But, I think maybe your friend meant 'where was your god to let this happen in the first place?'

Listen, dear, if he could do all the things you claim for him - why was he unable to prevent this tragedy occuring at all? Why not have made it impossible for the terorists to get on the planes? Why not have prevented the terrorists getting to the airport on time? Why not have caused blockages to prevent people going into the upper stories? Why not have caused the entrances to to the buildings to 'short out' and stay locked so no-one could get in at all?

Why did he show favour to some and not to others? I'm sure that those who were killed were no worse than those who were saved.

Do you see what I mean...?

(I don't say 'why not change the terrorists intentions' because I don't think anyone can change the mind-set of a fanatic, not even god).

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:13 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

Listen, dear, if he could do all the things you claim for him - why was he unable to prevent this tragedy occuring at all? Why not have made it impossible for the terorists to get on the planes? Why not have prevented the terrorists getting to the airport on time? Why not have caused blockages to prevent people going into the upper stories? Why not have caused the entrances to to the buildings to 'short out' and stay locked so no-one could get in at all?

Why did he show favour to some and not to others? I'm sure that those who were killed were no worse than those who were saved.

The point of my post was to point out the symbolism that in the midst of all devastation and despair, there is always hope. It's got nothing to do with my faith or religious beliefs, which will not be swayed by anyone - no disrespect to anyone intended.

We can get technical and literal here and try and work out what God's schedule that day was, try and find out if He had a meeting with the angels earlier in the morning and so missed the first crash into the WTC, thus being indirectly responsible for people's deaths - but we would be missing the point, I believe.

------------------
Old 10-17-2001, 09:25 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I had a friend question my faith in God right after the terrorist attack on America. Her question was simply put, "Where is your God today?"

She was very hurt, as all Americans were, so I tried not to react defensively. Since that moment I have prayed and grieved over the disastrous events. However, I believe I have the answer. I know where my God was the morning of September 11, 2001! He was very busy.

First of all, he was trying to discourage anyone from taking this flight. Those four flights together held over 1000 passengers and there was only 266 aboard.
He was on 4 commercial flights giving terrified passengers the ability to stay calm. Not one of the family members who was called by a loved one on one of the hijacked planes said that passengers were screaming in the background. On one of the flights he was giving strength to passengers to try to overtake the hijackers.

He was busy trying to create obstacles for employees at the World Trade Center. After all only around 20,000 were at the towers when the first jet hit. Since the buildings hold over 50,000 workers, this was a miracle in itself. How many of the people who were employed at the WTC told the media that they were late for work or they had traffic delays.

He was holding up 2 110-storey buildings so that 2/3 of the workers could get out. I was so amazed that the top of the towers didn't topple when the jets impacted.

Mems, you had me in tears. This is a beautiful testimonial and I couldn't have written anything better. God Bless, my friend, and may your friend one day understand.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-17-2001, 10:17 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Memnoch - first off, I am happy that you have found a way to turn this terrible event into a source of comfort and strengthened belief in your god. I do not desire - nor do I believe I could anyway - to poke holes in your belief.

But, I think maybe your friend meant 'where was your god to let this happen in the first place?'

(I don't say 'why not change the terrorists intentions' because I don't think anyone can change the mind-set of a fanatic, not even god).

First of all, F, this is a mini-rant.. and no offense to you!

We maintain (Mems and I and any other Judeo-Christian believers) that God gave us free will (and around and around I go.. I've posted THAT a few dozen times!). Second.. if you are happy Mems found comfort why then denigrate his belief system?!

This seems to be an ongoing thing here at IW lately and has nearly driven me off this board on a number of occasions. I accept that you and others don't believe as I do, but I'm tired of everyone trying to PROVE that I'm wrong!
Those of us who are believers aren't likely to ever be 'swayed' by such tactics and all it seems to do is provoke repetitive debates on the merits of our beliefs. (which have bored or offended a whole lotta people already!) Ok, so I'm replying and continuing the 'debate', sheesh.. I need to take my own advice! LOL

F, You say "IF God could do these things"... Of course he CAN. You suggest he was unable to stop the events as they happened, I say ridiculous! Question is, as you point out regarding Memsy's friend, why let it happen? FREE WILL.. I've said this before and am getting to feel like nobody pays a bit of attention, they just go on breezing past any 'religious' comments and continue the same tired debate. again, F, not singling you out, LOTS of anti-religious sentiment around here - eh Az? .... so please don't either of you take this personally!).

Point being that by giving us the gift of free will, God made US responisible for our decisions. He is by no means HAPPY that evil rules many of those decisions but what YOU seem to suggest, F, is that God could/should make a perfect little world where nobody ever gets hurt or sick and then what? He'd need to redesign humanity or the world as we know it because overpopulation creeps in if nobody dies... hmm.. gee.. Paradise with a price again.. Seriously, if God DID make it all perfect, what then would be the reason for us to bother? hmmm? why get up or get dressed? NOTHING can go wrong so why sweat it? Pretty dull experiment in creation, if you ask me.. we'd have no choices of our own other than what color to wear and hell, if we didn't have free will, would we even do that?

Mems posted something from his heart and soul. Something that he FEELS strongly and just wanted to share. He didn't post a debate starter, just a 'feel good', life affirming post that is something this place has been missing for some time now in my opinion. So how about we accept the SPIRIT of his offering and stop debating the letter? Ok?

Cloudy, stepping of the soap box, dropping the bullhorn and hoping nobody is too offended by her rant

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old 10-17-2001, 10:27 AM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

God certainly could have stopped the terrible events of September 11. He was not overburdened. He did not do "all" he could to stop the attacks. If it was his desire to stop the attacks, they would have been stopped cold. For that matter, he could stop all the crazy things in the world in an instant if he chose to do so.

But God has given us all freewill. The ability to choose between right and wrong. The ability to live our lives as we see fit. The ability to choose God, or reject him, is left to each individual. This does not mean there isn't a price to pay.

Asking where God was September 11th, is much the same question as why He lets a child contract cancer, or allows a bus full of kids on a church trip to die in a traffic accident. We don't know. We can't possibly understand His reasons, but we can believe in God and trust with FAITH.

None of us are promised an easy or perfect life, and sometimes we are outraged to see that evil people not only get away with murder, but prosper from their lifestyle.

For those who don't believe in God, I'm sure this seems like nonsense and that is your choice to make, but for those who do believe, HAVE FAITH.

------------------

"The Martyr" (excerpt)

There is sobbing of the strong,
And a pall upon the land;
But the People in their weeping
Bare the iron hand:
Beware the People weeping
When they bare the iron hand.

--Herman Melville (written after the assasination of President Abraham Lincoln)
Old 10-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

I read this somewhere and it is an interesting thought!

God answers all prayers, realise that sometimes the answer is NO.

Mark
Old 10-17-2001, 10:53 AM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Howdy Ronn_Bman! I don't believe we have been formally introduced! I like your post and think that I've said a lot of similar things all over this board lately! Dunno if anyone notices, mind you, but I type it out anyway!

I know it's a wee bit late as you are in the hundreds for posts, but Welcome to Ironworks!

Cloudbringer
Official Welcome Wagon of the Ironworks Forums

------------------

CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 10-18-2001).]
Closed Thread