Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

WASHINGTON (CP) -- It's still the ultimate defining day in America. But three years after suicide airliner hijackers killed nearly 3,000 people, it seems the tragedy of Sept. 11 has long lost its power to unify the country.

At best, it's still a symbol of personal courage and heroism; at worst, say some, an election-year marketing tool that will doubtless help determine whether President George W. Bush wins a second term this fall.

Source
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I don't see your take on it. Does it bother you? After all, it is politics, and the bashing season is in full swing.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The Bush Administration's use of 9/11 for political gain is unparalleled... except, of course, by the anti-Bush crowd's use of it.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

What would you expect, after all they have used it so far to put their whole agenda into motion, adding it to their election machine is just a added bonus.
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:06 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Yep, it's all politics. Bush was president September 11 three years ago, and the Republicans are gonna use this to their advantage. They also going to present Bush as a strong and courageous leader who took a stand against the terrorists.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
The Bush Administration's use of 9/11 for political gain is unparalleled... except, of course, by the anti-Bush crowd's use of it.
Please elaborate.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

It's unseemly, but it's 90% of the party's platform.

Here's my statement from another thread on this forum:

Quote:
Okay, let's get to fear-mongering. The Dems do NOT have a corner on the market anymore. Did you miss Cheney's threat that if you elect Kerry we WILL see more terrorist attacks? That's the most obvious form of fear-mongering I've EVER seen. How does he know? Does he have terrorists waiting in the wings to unleash? Is it an overt threat??? Enquiring minds want to know.
[ 09-12-2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 09-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Inquiring minds also want to know.

I really thought that Cheney's remark was in poor taste. And really, how easy would it be for the Dems to claim that Bush himself is a threat for making more enemies of the US? An absurd argument, but just as valid, or moreso, than Cheney's.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #9
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Please elaborate. [/QUOTE]Afraid I'm dodging again.

Just the obvious stuff, like the fact that Bush will never be able to hold a September 11th anniversary memorial, or meet with a survivor, or meet with a victim's family without the cry of politics. Of course every year every US President for as far into the future as I care to see will do those exact same things.

Bush uses September 11th for fear mongering while everyone knows that terrorists can't destroy the world? Some see it that way, but not everyone. The ABB crowd offers fear mongering regarding September 11th and how Bush might use it to destroy the world? Some see it that way, but not everyone. Of course both sides will say that they aren't fear mongering at all because THEIR position is the only one that makes sense based on the facts.

Basically Bush offers September 11th as a defining moment when America was changed, and the anti Bush crowd offers September 11th as a defining moment when America was changed. It is only the defining they disagree about. One side is no more reverent of the memory than the other despite claims of foul. Seems like there is some... I don't know... um.... magic word that may describe this irony, but I can't... remember.... what it is...

I'll end there and skip any Michael Moore reference. I'm trying to cut down. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I really thought that Cheney's remark was in poor taste. And really, how easy would it be for the Dems to claim that Bush himself is a threat for making more enemies of the US? An absurd argument, but just as valid, or moreso, than Cheney's.
You haven't heard that one yet?