Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
Sorcerer Alex

A single fly has been buzzing around me for the past week whenever I sit down at the computer. I'm at my wit's end - I've tried reasoning, cajoling, compromization, coaxing - nothing seems to work. It will not leave me alone. For the first couple of days we had a love/hate relationship - it seemed to love me and I hated it. But now my anger towards it has slowly but surely slipped into a semi Nebuchadnezzan rage. I've been actively trying to swat it with every type of object imaginable this morning. It escapes me each and every time.

Now this subject may seem incredibly trivial to some of you - but I feel that this particular fly has deserved a post here at Ironworks. If an ordinary winged insect can cause the demise of an intelligent human being then it has certainly deserved its thread.

Oh and before I forget... does anybody have any fly-swatting tips for me? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2002, 09:05 AM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

Wait till it gets dark then turn off all of the lights and open a window. The fly will fly out to the lights outside then close the window.

Does it have a name?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-10-2002, 09:07 AM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Does it have a name?
Not yet, but I am open for suggestions. I'm starting to see it as one of the family, after all.

Old 05-10-2002, 09:23 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Sugar Cube.

Sledgehammer.

Nuff said.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:28 AM   #5
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Sugar Cube.

Sledgehammer.

Nuff said.
Those are really bad names for flys.

(boom! boom!)
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 05-10-2002, 11:40 AM   #6
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, the mistake most people make is to raise the swatter high, the bring it down on the fly, but because flies see everything almost in slow motion, they see it coming a mile off (they have alomst 360 vision and we're far too bog to get directly in their miniscule blind spot.)
So what I do, I get as close to it as I can without it flying off, lift the swatter without bringing your arm too far up or back, then just quickly and sharply tap it.
You don't have to pelt it hard, they aren't the strongest things and a well-placed tap should either stun them or damage their wings to the point of not being able to fly any more.
Then they are at your mercy!! Muhahahaha!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
Deathcow
Elminster

have you tried spraying it with something? spray him, and then hes all yours for REVENGE! pull his wings off, fling him around with a spoon, and then drown him in orange juice! and tack him to the wall as a warning to any other hoodlum flies that try to torment you
Old 05-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Ever tried a .357 magnum? It could be incredibly satisfying!
Old 05-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #9
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I say the fly is Indiana Jones in a fly costume. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi