Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2002, 02:58 PM   #1
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Okay, I may not be a newbie when comes to CRPG, but all these 3rd edition rules is really confusing and I am not really good in creating fresh party. In my previous attempt (IWD 1), I ended up with a bunch of retards which forced me to cheat in order to beat the final boss. I hope I won't have to do that in IWD 2. Okay, here is my party:

1. Paladin (Asimar)
2. Fighter (Human)
3. Barbarian (Half-Orc, preset party member)
4. Evoker (Moon Elf)
5. Druid (Half-Elf)
6. Rogue (Lightfoot Halfling, preset party member)

I would like to have a balance gameplay where my party would have a balance in spell casters and fighters. Do you have any suggestion on any further refinement?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
Kalak
The Magister

If it was me, I'd drop the barbarian and make a true cleric...they can't be beat b/c they don't need to memeorize healing spells now, and then I'd change the druid to a wizard or sorceror, whatever one you don't have...simply b/c sorceror get boo-koos of spells to cast without resting, and wizards get spells earlier and get boo-koo spells they CAN cast.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:47 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with the above concerning the cleric, just because I always like some healing hands nearby. I tend to be the guy that rushes in and fights up close and personal. Some people like to sit back and shoot off spells or darts from far away, but that is not my style...and as so...I require alot of healing.

That is my only observative council.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Kalak,

1. Hmm...I thought my evoker is already a wizard... I mean not a generic wizard but she is a wizard nonetheless.

2. Druid for Sorceror? Okay, I will give it a try.

3. Barbarian to cleric? I would consider that but I do not want to over emphasize on casters only, I prefer to have some frontline fighters to go melee while my spell casters casts healing spells and offensive/defensive spells. Hmm...maybe I could multi-class a cleric to fighter/cleric. What do you think?

The reason I used druid because I thought druid should make decent melee fighters (correct me if I am wrong). Honestly speaking, I am more of a melee guy and as such, I don't really know how to manage a party full of spell casters. Anyway, I will drop the druid and change it to a sorceror... I hope the gamble pays off.

Anyway, if it is not too much, could you let me know your party components and why do you choose to set it up as such. Maybe it will give me more ideas on how to fine tuning my present party to my playing style.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:38 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

My party is here

1/ You definetly need a cleric, I would drop the rogue and put cleric in instead.

2/ Half-Orcs are not a good race. -2 attribute and no outstanding special powers.

You will end up with a party that looks very much like mine [img]smile.gif[/img]

I've detailed why one does not need a rogue in another thread anyway:
1/ Hide and move silently can be replaced by an invisibility spell.
2/ Pick pocket is useless after chapter 1.
3/ Open lock can be replaced by bash or the Knock spell
4/ That only leaves disable traps, which can be taken as a cross skill or soaked.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:19 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Ahh..Warhammer; I have read your previous post on the recommendations of dropping the rogue altogether. So, correct me if I am wrong, you current party is as such?

Tiefling Fighter (18,12,18,12,10,8) Will stay as a fighter.
Aasimir Paladin (17,10,15,10,16,12) Will dual as a fighter (for the feats).
Tiefling Monk (14,16,14,12,16,6) Will stay as a monk.
Drow Cleric (16,12,14,10,16,12) Will stay as a cleric.
Human Necro. (10,14,16,18,10,8) May take a couple of fighter levels.
Aasimir Bard (10,16,14,14,10,16) Will DUAL as a sorcerer.

1. Is Bard any good? (I mean as a fighter)

2. Monk...hmm... I have read quite some negative posts about the usefullness of this class, main due to the limited type of usable melee weapons.

3. You seems to have many fighters around. By any chance any of them are dual weilding?
Old 09-13-2002, 04:17 AM   #7
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:

1. Is Bard any good? (I mean as a fighter)

2. Monk...hmm... I have read quite some negative posts about the usefullness of this class, main due to the limited type of usable melee weapons.

3. You seems to have many fighters around. By any chance any of them are dual weilding?
1. Bard as a tank ? Same BAB progression as a Druid or a Cleric. The other problem with a bard is his spells are considered arcane (impeached by armor).

2. One of the reason why I have 3 warriors in my party is that I like to use a whole bunch of different weapons, so the monk is not an option for me.

3. Yes my drow fighter dual wields Bastard sword - Short sword, or mace-shortsword against undead. My Paladin/Fighter dual wields longswords (Longsword - shield against very tough opponents)

If I might add, I am positivly surprised by my Druid. In human form she has both healing and offensive spells, and is quite good with a spear. Shapeshifted (dire bear right now) she is a good tank too.

[ 09-13-2002, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Warhammer ]
Old 09-13-2002, 11:53 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks for the insight. I will restart the with a new party. I might try out this combination:

1. Fighter
2. Paladin
3. Ranger
4. Wizard
5. Druid
6. Cleric

Maybe at later stage, I might multiclass my fighter into a fighter/rogue and also cleric into cleric/fighter.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:30 PM   #9
Kalak
The Magister

If you want a fighting cleric, try a battleguard of tempus ;-P