Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2002, 09:37 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Damn damndamndamn...parn´me

I just spend somewhat like three hours downloading these great pics from a site to use in BG2 and waddaUknow they don´t work there is only a question marked edge of a character where the pic should be....

Now since the pics are bitmaps I´m wondering if they should be in another format...I downloaded them all into the portraits folder

PLEAZZZZZ help

I wanna look cool when I MDKs my way through the game
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Are you sure they have the right sizes? The small ones shall be 38x60, IIRC, and the big ones 110x170.
It is also case-sensitive that they are bitmaps.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 AM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

This is so strange....I just checked it out and everything is as it should be...size is ok...it is bitmaps and I placed them in the portraits folder???

Could it be a bug
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

From the readme file.
Quote:
Custom Portraits:

The measurements for player portraits are 38X60 pixels for
the smaller portraits (8-bit color runs faster but it can be
up to 24 bit color), and 110X170 pixels for the larger
portraits. To use a custom portrait, place it in the
Portraits directory (in the install directory for the game)
and add an S to the end of the small portrait name and an L
to the end of the large portrait - otherwise the two names
must be identical. The names must be 1-7 letters long,
maximum - so the filename with the S or L added to the end
is no longer than 8 total characters. The portrait files
must be in BMP format.

For example:
XXXXXXXS.bmp for small (38x60, 8-bit)
XXXXXXXL.bmp for large (110x170, 24-bit)

For multiplayer, each player must have a copy of the
portraits, otherwise they will see a blank icon instead of
the other player's custom portraits. You will need to
manually send these portraits to your friends as BG2 has
no method of transferring them.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

No matte I found the solution...I put a dot in their name and I shouldn´t have done that...

REMEMBER if you save custom portraits that you should keep filenames simple

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 09-20-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
Mr Flibble
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have also had problems similar to this...

What do you do if the small picture had too much color resolution (like 24 bit color)? Will it still work? The lowest res my picture editor has is 16 bit... and even then when I tried to change it from a higher res down to 16, it looks terrible so I didn't even try to see what it looked like in the game.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:02 PM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

The small version of my favourite custom portrait is 24 bit, and it works just fine.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
Hecate
The Magister

Hi - If you're having problems with the colors in your editor try using MSPAINT95. I've been downloading portraits from various places like Kirith's and The Portrait Portal with no problem. If you don't have MSPAINT95.EXE you can always get it from Microsoft.
Hecate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:24 PM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

The reason the small portraits are meant to be 8 bit is the spell effects. If you have too many colours, the icons can look VERY strange.

[ 09-20-2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:29 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparhawk:
No matte I found the solution...I put a dot in their name and I shouldn´t have done that...

REMEMBER if you save custom portraits that you should keep filenames simple
So you`re saying that BG2 only looks to the first dot; rather than the last to find the extention ?? Or was the dot an extra character over the 8 limit ??
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote