Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2003, 12:36 AM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I just finished the game in normal mode and plan to soon start a new game in HoF... i know i can (am supposed to?) use my exported characters from my previous game but... if im going to play the same stuff over again I might as well try new races, classes, allignments (going for good, neutral, evil mix this time; for the first time after playing BG twice, BG2 twice, IWD1 three times and IWD2 once, I'm actually including evil characters in my party [img]smile.gif[/img] )

So i thought I will create new characters and use cheat codes to raise their XP to the level they wouldve been had they been exported from a finished normal game... It is cheating, but i already finished the game properly and Im not going to give them more XP than my exported characters...

so my questions:

1)Im very concerned about using cheat codes. I will only use them beginning of the game then switch them off.... will using cheat codes have any bad effects in the game?

2)what XP should i start my party at... im going to have some ECL including svirfneblin. I want them all to start with same XP (so not same level)... and when suggesting starting XP keep in mind those points:
i) I want my ppl to be powerful enough to defeat those HoF monsters..
ii) Not too high starting XP so as not to make those fight too easy
iii) Most important I want them to have enough XP to reach level 30... remember there will be 6 of them and one is a svirfneblin making the limit 528000 if im not mistaken...
I was thinking of starting with 100000 making most of them level 14... any better suggestions...

Thanks
Old 06-21-2003, 04:01 AM   #2
Snowking
Dungeon Master

Maybe you should look at the exp value of the characters whom you used to complete the normal game,then you use the same value for the new party.I think.......this is not consider as cheating,right?Coz you will loose all your equipments.Anyway,no lvl 1 character can kill monsters in HOF,you get what I mean?
Snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:05 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowking:
Maybe you should look at the exp value of the characters whom you used to complete the normal game,then you use the same value for the new party.I think.......this is not consider as cheating,right?Coz you will loose all your equipments.Anyway,no lvl 1 character can kill monsters in HOF,you get what I mean?
I'd just like to point out that i have taken a level 1 character through the game in HoF mode once, it can be done, you just need to be very patient with your bow in the early game.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:15 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ZFR,

1) No. Using the cheat codes will not have any adverse effects on the game.

2) It's really up to you as to where you begin in terms of xp. It IS possible to start a HoF game with level 1 characters and finish; it's not EASY but it is doable.

3) I'm not sure if a party of 6 can reach 30th level by the end of the game even in HoF mode. My current party of 6, with 2 ECL 1 characters, is now at 24th / 25th level and they just finished the Monastery (Chapter 4). They MIGHT make it, but I doubt it. This was the original group that finished on normal difficulty (level 16/17) and was exported.

Unlike IWD1, QUEST xp is NOT morphed in HoF mode in IWD2. It's exactly the same in normal difficulty as it in HoF mode.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Micah, I recently completed IWD2 in HoF mode and my party of 6 only reached level 26 or 27.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Magness
Quintesson

ZFR, why don't you export your previous party's characters (with as many of the good items as possible) and start your HoF game. But don't leave the boat. Then one by one, replace your old characters with your new characters. Before dropping each old character, drop all of its items so that the new character can pick them up. After you've done this for all 6? characters, you'll have a well equipped new party and plenty of extra exquipment to sell for the GP.

ALSO... before cheating yourself the XP, plan out exactly what kind of characters you want. Pure class characters are not a problem, jsut give the the full amount of XP and level up. However, Multiclassed characters must be managed more carefully. If you give yourself 16 levels worth of XP, you cannot pick and choose how to allocate those levels. You have to take them all in one class. Therefore, you have to do it differently. Take all of your levels i the first class at once. Then take all of the levels in the 2nd class all at once. (And so on.)

Just be certain that any MC combo you've created avoids the favored class XP penalty after you've added all the XP and leveled up (unless you don't care about the XP penalty, that is).
Old 06-21-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

It's possible to do HOF with a brand-new party, but extremely difficult. Many players who try this usually have spellcasters with summoning magic, and plenty of it. Everyone who can summon has as many spell ready as possible - and they run back to the ship to rest rather often

Generally though, you're better off trying out your experienced group first, so you know what you're up against. HOF critters are much tougher than they are in normal modes. They also give more experience.

There are no problems with using the cheat codes to advance low-level characters, except for multi-class. If you have any multis, advance them one level at a time. Because if you don't, the experience comes all in one gulp, and you can only advance one class. A friend of mine learned that the hard way (doing what you plan to do, use a pafrty of different mix).

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

Nightowl makes a good point.

ZFR, you might find it beneficial to play your previous party thru at least some of HoF (maybe just the prologue and some of chapter 1) to get a feel for HOF play. It might be useful for deciding how to build/level up your new party.

The tactics that worked for your party in normal mode may not work as well in HoF mode. Damaging spells are not as important as stunning, charming, immobilizing, and summoning spells.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

thanks all...

i think in that case I will plan my party classes on the basis they reach 26 level, (23 for my svirfneblin)