Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Just a little list I need my memory refreshing on:

Amulet of Spell Warding
Ring/Staff of Earth/Air/Fire
Scroll of Contingency (probably with the drow?)
Beljuril (not the chicken one, that has passed me by)
Ring of Danger Sense
Ring of Wizardry
Ring of Acuity
Golden Girdle

All help gratefully recieved and goes to a loving home [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 08:03 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Spoilers ahead:

Amulet Of Spell Warding-Underdark-Beholder City
Staff Of Air-Planar Prison
Staff Of Fire-Planar Sphere
Staff Of Earth-Buy from a merchant in Ust Natha

Ring Of Fire Control-Ilithid Lair
Ring Of Earth Control-Nalia`s Keep
Scroll Of Contingency-Buy from a merchant in Ust Natha
Beljuril-don`t know
Ring Of Danger Sense-Planar Sphere
Ring Of Wizardry-Harper`s battle or Mage Stronghold
Ring Of Acuity-Planar Sphere
Golden Girdle-Planar Sphere

Cheers [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:04 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Must admit that I needed help from Mike to remember some of these, but here they are:

Amulet of Spell Warding: Loot from the Elder Orb in the Underdark
Ring of Earth Control: Found in the lion statue in de'Arnise Keep
Ring of Air Control: Sold by Ribald
Ring of Fire Control: Found in the Illithid-lair in the Underdark
Staff of Earth: Sold in the Tavern in Ust Natha
Staff of Fire: Found in the Planar Sphere
Staff of Air: Loot from the Demon in the Planar Prison
Beljuril gem: Loot from a troll in a secret room in Firkraag's Dungeon
Ring of Danger Sense: Found in the Planar Sphere
Ring of Wizardry: Loot from Lavok outside the Planar Sphere
Golden Girdle: Reward from the Solamnic Knights in the Planar Sphere for returning them home

From the looks of it, you're going through with a Mage or Sorcerer? [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-01-2003, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Sir Exxon ]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 08:15 AM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Well, Kensai/Mage dual now [img]smile.gif[/img]

L21 Kensai, currently L18 mage [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for your help guys, I just needed to know where some items were for the item upgrade mod. Looks like the planar sphere is my next port o' call.

Arr!

Oh, I'll also post my characters stats upon attaining the end game bonuses because he IS a God. Literally as perfect as you can get a character without cheating [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-01-2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Dace De'Briago ]
Old 03-01-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Slight corrections to Sir Exxon's (and, by extension, Mike's) list:

Staff of Earth: Sold in the Ust Natha Bazaar. (There are no items for sale in the Tavern.)
Staff of Air: Loot from the Master of Thralls in the Planar Prison
Beljuril gem: Loot from a container in a secret cave in Firkraag's Dungeon
Golden Girdle: Reward from the Solamnic Knights in the Planar Sphere for returning them home, only if you have the Sphere as a Stronghold.

No, Sir Exxon, by the looks of it he's poring over the components listed in the README of the Item Upgrade MOD, and making out a wish list. Nothing like a little Golden Girdle / Amulet of Ilmater / Ring of Elemental Mastery action to improve the AC of your Kensai->Mage.....

Personally, I think it sucks that the Golden Girdle is only for Wizard PCs. Besides, if the item followed you from BG1, how the hell did it get inside the Planar Sphere? (I could say the same about the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.) When I play a non-Wizard PC, I buy an extra Girdle of Bluntness, throw it away, and then hack in a Golden Girdle. It's mostly fair, and saves me a headache.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:26 AM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
[QB]
Personally, I think it sucks that the Golden Girdle is only for Wizard PCs. Besides, if the item followed you from BG1, how the hell did it get inside the Planar Sphere? (I could say the same about the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.)QB]
Lets be a little fair and give the game the benefit of the doubt that there is more than one of each [img]smile.gif[/img] I mean, statistically speaking there are going to be many swords that qualify as +1 enchantment, loads of magical gauntlets etc.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:06 AM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Except that the Gauntlets of Ogre Power are quite clearly described as being a UNIQUE item. How many Ogres named Takkok do you see walking around? ("None, because they're all hunted down to have their hands chopped off & made into Gauntlets, haha.") I can see several Golden Girdles floating around, but not Ogre Gauntlets. (I just realized what a stupid acronym they make: GoOP.)

This is where you point out that supposedly-unique items are already duplicated, such as the Rings of Regeneration, Boots of Speed, and Rings of the Ram. But let's examine those Rings: In both cases, the item description is vague enough to suppose that numerous copies were made, as the enchantment was a simple one. Heck, the Ring of Regeneration even posts the recipe right on the box (as it were). The fact that you can get 3 Rings of the Ram from the same guy lends credence to the idea that he knows how to make them. And what about all those Rings of Protection+1 that seem to come standard after your first full year of Harper membership?

So, certain magical items are more common than others--many are absolutely unique. Let us now compare the Gauntlets of Ogre Power with the Boots of Speed. Both were unique in BG1. Both have highly detailed histories that describe either their precise origin and maker, or the user that made them famous. In BG2, one of the items is still unique, but the other one has mysteriously spawned two additional copies, all with the exact same Description of having been worn by the exact same assassin. ("Will the real Boots of Speed please stand up?") Now, I ask you: Would you wish to create this type of incoherency for the Gauntlets of Ogre Power as well?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:24 AM   #8
Imrahil
Elminster

To be fair(er?), neither Boots of Speed nor Gauntlets of Ogre Power are "supposed to be" unique. In the PnP game, they are "just" magic items, as are RoP+1. The fact that the BG designers gave them unique descriptions doesn't really matter - they aren't (supposed to be) artifacts.

Heck, there are some items, complete with descriptions & names, which are "merely" +3 weapons/armors (which I guess made sense before ToB, when such items didn't grow on trees - they needed to be unique as far as the game was concerned).

Still, GoOP (heh - you're right) were never meant to be unique items as far as the game (meaning D&D) is concerned - they just got a cool write-up in SoA.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:00 AM   #9
Manshoon

I noticed that myself... a lot of the items had these really neat stories behind them... armors, and swords and all kindsa good stuff... The first time I played through the game, I spent a LOT of time reading descriptions and histories of items I had going, "Well, this armor sounds cursed, but this Aegis armor sounds pretty bad ass, but it looks weak. Maybe if I just equip it... No, that didn't do crap... well, maybe on a thief... noooooo... a ranger? No, damn what am I missing?" It adds a lot to the game, but it WAS a bit confusing at first.

But yeah, they're not supposed to be one-of-a-kind-items... except in this game. There's tons of pretty much any item in D&D... lucky for me [img]smile.gif[/img]