Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
JakesOrBetter
Dungeon Master

When soloing, how do you contend with all the locked Chests/Doors if you are not a thief? Wanted to run a Kensai/Mage but thought I would have to much trouble with Locked items. Any suggestions?
JakesOrBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
Bristowe
Elminster

If you played as a Kensai/Mage, there is a spell called knock that can be used on most locked chests/boxes etc, you could also bust open boxes depending on your strength. Locked doors however arn't really much of an issue as most important locked doors are opened with keys which you'd have to find. yeah? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

As Bristowe mentioned, it isnt any problem at all, especially since you're a Kensai/Mage. The second level Mage spell Knock opens all locks (except those who requires a key), no matter how difficult it is. Knock is better the the Thieving Pick Lock.
And this is also where the 'Draw Upon Holy Might' comes handy. Most classes have this ability, which will raise their strength with many points. While this works, press on your weapon to 'activate' it, and attack the chest/door/box you want to open. Works like a charm. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Since you will be unable to actually disarm anything you will have to set off most traps.

Setting off traps as a solo mage is a whole science where you will have to use your protections cleverly (though the stoneskin wards off most common traps).

Sometimes you might also just bite the bullet and take the damage.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:13 PM   #5
Terl
Dungeon Master

Trap disarming is where I disagree with the game design. Hordes of monsters can run back and forth over these traps and not set them off, unless they are ones you set specifically for them. Also, creatures you summon will not set them off. Why is that?
So much for summon minesweeper.
I haven't tried to gate in a sweeper, or use a similacrum as one, but I think the result will be the same.
Terl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 02:58 PM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Terl:
Trap disarming is where I disagree with the game design. Hordes of monsters can run back and forth over these traps and not set them off, unless they are ones you set specifically for them. Also, creatures you summon will not set them off. Why is that?
So much for summon minesweeper.
I haven't tried to gate in a sweeper, or use a similacrum as one, but I think the result will be the same.
I so agree. It is a positive thing if you have your own summons, though. It would be a pretty bad thing if a man couldnt send out a Wizards Eye without it beeing smashed by traps. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 03:10 PM   #7
Kaltia
Jack Burton

WELCOME TO IW JAKESORBETTER! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:16 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
WELCOME TO IW JAKESORBETTER! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
YOu have to spam down EVERY board, dont you?
J/k

I agree, welcome to Ironworks, JakesOrBetter! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
JakesOrBetter
Dungeon Master

Thanks, never thought about just smashing things open. Obviously pretty new to RPG. I knew about the knock spell but did not want to have to memorize it 5 times and waste the slots.
JakesOrBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:43 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Since you will be unable to actually disarm anything you will have to set off most traps.

Setting off traps as a solo mage is a whole science where you will have to use your protections cleverly (though the stoneskin wards off most common traps).

Sometimes you might also just bite the bullet and take the damage.
Since he's probably got a fair amount of HP, most traps shouldn't be a problem, xcept for the instant death variety.