Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

I'm suprised this game hasn't been mentioned here in this forum considering the nature of the factions available to play, so I'm curious if anyone here plays it.

The opening scene of the U.S. campaign, where you siege Baghdad, nearly took me aback, as I started playing the game shortly after the war began.

Then the is the GLA faction, aka the rebel terorist faction, with units like toxin tractor, suicide bomber, and scud launcher.

I'm suprised the press hasn't made a big deal out this either, though I heard a rumor the game was temporarily banned in Germany.

Anyway, it is a superior and graphically beautiful RTS game and lots of fun, particularly online, though it lacks the uncanny storylines, FMV, and almost humorous slant found the previous CnC games.

Any thoughts on this game?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

I didn't like it. Sorry but it was simplistic as hell; hardy any tactics required, had a somewhat clunky interface and ran like dog unless you were playing it on 800 by 600. Definately not as good as Red Alert 2.

Germany wasn't the only one to ban it. China as well, apparently they were offended with the cinematic of Tiannamen Square getting blown up.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rimjaw:
I didn't like it. Sorry but it was simplistic as hell; hardy any tactics required, had a somewhat clunky interface and ran like dog unless you were playing it on 800 by 600. Definately not as good as Red Alert 2.

Germany wasn't the only one to ban it. China as well, apparently they were offended with the cinematic of Tiannamen Square getting blown up.
Yeah the SP campaigns lacked challenge and depth for the most part, but it was fun and pretty, but not as good as RA2 for sure. It sucks, I lost my cd key for RA2, so that game has been reduced to a couple of coasters for me.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #4
MagiK

Chewie, if you registerd the game you can probably get the company to reissue the key for ya. I hate it when I screw up like that. Fortunately it only happens to me rarely.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Wutang
Manshoon

I've had a lot of fun with C&C. I also don't see any problems with C&C on any moral issues since all sides (GLA, US, China) are armed to the teeth with awesome firepower.

I don't see any faction represented that is totally defenseless.

Sure there are sterotypes in the game but then again all sides are being sterotyped.

I never played RA2 or Tiberian Sun but it does look like C&C doesn't deviate much from the game genre very much.

If these games were banned for whatever reason, that's unforunate.

In today's video game industry, there's always going to be some group that is insulted by a video game on whatever subject be it shooters, fighting, deer hunting, fantasy etc.

Maybe we should just all play PacMan or knit

[ 04-29-2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Wutang ]
Old 04-29-2003, 10:33 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Haven't played this one yet, but i will sometime. I've played every game so far in the C&C series, they're quite entertaining.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:44 AM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Haven't played this one yet, but i will sometime. I've played every game so far in the C&C series, they're quite entertaining.
It got very possitive reviews everywhere. And I found this one even more entertaining then RA2! Even though I was forced to run it in a lousy 800*600 resolution.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote