Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
Gheital
Dungeon Master

Maybe it's stupid to ask things like this in here but here we go...

Can I make with a party that includes Druid, two Rangers and a sorceror?

This is my 'nature'- party [img]smile.gif[/img]

I could probably make the other ranger a barbarian... smart one ofcourse. I dont want any idiots to my group.

I've been thinking that I'll make my duid an Aasimar. Is it a good or a bad choise? The other ranger/barbarian will be human. If it'll be the ranger he will use Great Sword if it'll be barbarian then I don't know yet... tell me. The other ranger will be wild elf bowman that uses probably Great Swords in melee combat too. Sorceror will be just a normal sorceror [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, please tell me that can I make it with this party (no thieves and such and a lack of people). And should I change the other ranger to barbarian. All hints are welcome!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Sure you can make it. Just make sure you get the spells detect traps and knock. That should fix most of your thieving problems. You can also have one of your character raise disarm trap as a cross class skill, just make sure the character has high dext.

Humm... an Aasimar Druid. That would be a good choice, but that's not very nature oriented, considering Aasimar are the children of an outer planar creature and an human. That make then a little unnatural.

I recommend you get a Barbarian instead of two rangers. Barbarians have lots of health, and you will need as much as you can. You could always have him use axes.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 PM   #3
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I would make a Half-Orc Druid 20 Str 18 Wis etc. He's Green and that 'Natural Looking', and he probably smells alot like nature. He's also look as ugly as a bear and have twice the vocabulary.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:08 AM   #4
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

A half-orc druid? That sounds interesting.
You can also get some extra rages from one or two or three barbarian class(at level 3,6,9 etc.) without losing any experience because of your favorite class, barbarian.
Let the enemies feel your polar bear's wrath with the barbarian's rage! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 01:17 AM   #5
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

I would never develop a pure sorceror since sorceror is such a good choice for multi-class characters. Paladin/Monk/Soceror
one level of paladin + one level of monk + twenty eight levels of sorceror
You should add as much charisma as you can. This character will have extremely high saving check from paladin's charm modify and evade effect from one monk level. Your character then will not be hit by any magic like fireballs or dragonbreath.
Human is the best race for this class. You will gain no experience penalty.

[ 10-24-2002, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: Jellyfish ]
Old 10-24-2002, 02:57 AM   #6
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I agree on the Monk/Sorcerer/Paladin... but not for the same reason.
Paladins bonuses I beleive come at 4th level BUT I dont care his/her best bonus comes at level one: Being able to use the Holy Avenger + Monks can use the Gauntlets of thundering clap (er something) that adds 2 attacks per round... Now you have a level 20+ sorcerer that in a pinch weilds the best sword in the game and gets 5 attacks per turn with it... A little improved invis and you got a COMPLETELY unstoppable solo character. Human/Wild elf would be your only options here I beleive. I like human better. Never been a big fan of High Dex spell casters I would rather have the hitpoint and concentration bonus from high Con.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:31 AM   #7
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

ah...Mrs. Jack, I will never use such a character in melee combat.
It won't be effective, and I do not have enough points to go around with str
with max char and max con and not too low int.(to learn spirit of fire etc., we have to add spellcraft.lol)
And the magic I possess is enough to deal with the foes.

A magical fighter might be developed in some other way, more levels as a fighter I mean.

So what do you mean by 'Paladins bonuses I beleive come at 4th level BUT I dont care his/her best bonus comes at level one'?
I have one level becuase I want paladin's charisma modify to saving. With that, my character can have all the savings around 20 at level 12.

As I said before, I got one monk lv only to get the evade effect not to use that glove. So now I can drop fireballs right to my feet, cast N skulltraps or delayed fireballs then rush towards them to active them, smile and say 'bless you' to the sternutative black dragon.

[ 10-24-2002, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Jellyfish ]
Old 10-24-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Actually, if you wanted that triple class of Pal/Monk/Sorc, you could choose from three races without penalty: Wild Elf (fave class sorc), Human, or Half-Elf since the last two have "favored class highest".

I think "paladin bonus" refers to spells. They can start casting a limited number at 4th level.

If you were really going to go with this combo, you might want to bring up Paladin to 2nd, to get immunity to all sorts of fear effects. And you wouldn't be in the exp. penalty zone, since the two low classes are within one of each other.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #9
Gheital
Dungeon Master

Well, now I have made the party but I'm in the beginning so I could moderate the chars if I'd change my mind.

-Aasimar druid. (20 wis and cha)
-Wild elf barbarian [img]smile.gif[/img] (20 dex)
-Wild elf ranger (20 dex)
-human sorcerer

My barbarian is using a shield and large swords. She doesn't seem too barbaric [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, can barbarian use all the armors just like fighters without any disadvantages? (with armor prof, ofcourse)

How can you use the Animal Empathy and how usefull it is?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:37 PM   #10
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

Barbarian can use all armors as well as wizards.
But you will have penatly on several skills such as hiding, and you will lose certain dex bounus to your armor class.
And also, since you have such a high dex for your barbarian and ranger, you may not wear any armor at all. Instead, you can cast a mage's armor for your warriors.
I was wondering why you have your druid be so charmful. Is she/he the leader of your team?
Animal Empathy can be used by clicking on the skill button. You will find an icon with a wolf head on it. Sadly, it is not very useful.