Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

SPOILERS

-------------

------------------

----------------------

ACK! Ok, so I made it through the dang Fell woods....killed six MILLION Spiders and TROLLS and Barbarians....even Doppelgangers.....but NOW, they want me to do in three White Wyrms and TWO White Dragons? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] Yikes!

I need some pointers, because my mage just got whacked and I'm losing hit points like water through a sieve! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:21 PM   #2
Azred
Drow Priestess

Are both white dragons coming out of the cave or only one?
Well, rest up and be fully healed, then give everyone as much protection from cold as you can. Stock up your mages and clerics with fire-based spells; haste has effect on only one person under 3rd edition rules so skip that one. If you have potions of strength let your tanks use those. Finally, summon some allies--I had a zombie lord and two boneguard skeletons (all of whom are immune to cold; I love Animate Dead). Finally, Web and Stinking Cloud can help you make the territory work for you.

I just beat them a week ago, but that worked for me. Good luck! [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:32 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

I think that there are at least 2 different ways that this battle can occur, depending on how you interact with the doppelgangers at the start of the area.

1. You don't recognize the doppelgangers for what they are. You get ambushed outside the cave by 1 white dragon and the wyrms. The 2nd white dragon remains inside the cave.

2. You DO recognize that there's something wrong with the "doppelgangers". You kill the doppelgangers. You go inside the cave and run into both white dragons and the wyrms.

Either way is very nasty. In the 1st scenario, you don't get any preparation time. In the 2nd scenario, if you want, you have plenty of time to prepare. Just expect to have a nasty battle on your hands.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:49 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Interesting. We always had the fake letter from Denham, so the doppelgangers were always exposed at the end of the temple, when the glacier came down. So my parties always had the one dragon outside/one dragon inside (both with friends, of course) setup.

By the way, Azred was a little off. There is a L6 Mass Haste spell, that affects everyone it its radius, rather than just one person. Good to have, now and for the future.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I'm in the 2nd scenario and it IS a bad one, because one of the danged dragons is right ON TOP OF US as we enter the cave. My team gets bunched up and easily hit by the cold. I've beefed them up , but OUCH, by the time I call any summoned creatures, I've got a few people in serious hp deficit!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:18 PM   #6
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Here's what I did:
Basically, you want to exploit the game's limited AI as much as possible.
I was in the 'exposed the doppelgangers and fought 2 Dragons at once' scenario.
Now, when outside the cave beef yourself up with your favourite power-up routine (I like bless, remove fear, mass protection from evil, emotion rage and hope, with Ilmater's fortitude and Tempus' strength to top it off). Run on into the cave, concentrate all attacks on one of the dragons, bring his ass down (getting your magic user(s) to launch a continuous stream of fireballs helps alot here). Now, here comes the cheesy bit, run back outside once one or two of your enemies are dead, the remaining enemies won't follow you out. Once outside rest up and repeat the process 'till they're all history. Killing nature's beautiful creatures in the name of second-rate civilization is such delightful fun.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #7
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

My tactics were simple:

1. Doppelgangers - Got rid of them earlier in the previous chapter. You must have the letter with you.

2. Dragons and wyrms - As soon as you entered the area, cast "animate dead" and summon about 3-5 undeads. I picked this spell for my female sorcerer and I have to admit, this is one of the most useful spell in IWD2. Put the undead in the front and switch all party members to use missile weapons (bows, slings etc.) I then set my fighter to "hide in shadow" and explore ahead. Even though my fighter is invisible, the dragons and wyrms seems to be able to "see" the rest of the party members that remained behind and they will charged toward the rest of the party. Once the dragons and wyrms are close enough, the undead will automatically engage them while the rest of your party pounce them with arrows, slings and spells. Apply the same tactics to the ones inside the cave.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
Azred
Drow Priestess

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
By the way, Azred was a little off. There is a L6 Mass Haste spell, that affects everyone it its radius, rather than just one person. Good to have, now and for the future.

Nightowl2
True, there is Mass Haste, but I don't have that spell yet. I was simply pining for the BG/IWD 2nd edition Haste which has an effect on your entire party. I don't like the 3rd edition Haste....*sigh*

My poor 11th-level mage hasn't been able to find 6th level mage spells yet. [img]graemlins/verysad.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:11 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

That's why I like sorcerers. Maybe not as many spells, but you have no worries about learning them. You can cast more per level, too.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for all the tips! So I can assume that the dragons are succeptible to fire spells, then. GOODY! My mage, Sazeriffic, took proficiency in fire based and acid based spells...BWAHAHAHAHAHA! [img]smile.gif[/img] ahem.... Thanks, I'll try these ideas and suggestions next chance I get!

I'm playing IWD2 single game as well as NWN AND am doing multiplay with BG2 and IWD (HOW etc) at same time, so it's been fun juggling the games around and keeping in mind which things work where! [img]smile.gif[/img]