Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

How Many Expansions For IWD are There? I Think There Is Two, Heart Of Winter, And Another. Is This Other A Free One Which Black Isle Released Over The Internet Or Something? If So Where Can I Get It? Also, Are They Add Ons Or Add Ins?
Old 02-06-2002, 04:35 PM   #2
Durwyn
Elminster

Yes, its called Trials of Luremaster you can get it at Gamebanshee.com Fileplanet.com - also programs like Morpheous, Win MX, KaZa, anything.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:40 PM   #3
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Is It An Add On Or An Add In?
Also, Is It Official?

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Beaumanoir ]

Old 02-06-2002, 04:57 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, it is an official release from BIS and not a "mod" and its free! It does require that HOW be installed before ToL can be installed.

Trials is not a stand-alone expansion ala HOW which can be played seperately. The ToL areas can only be accessed thru a dialogue option with an NPC found in one of the HOW areas. I don't whether that makes it an Add-in or Add-on. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:31 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

HOW is an official add-on, created by Black Isle Studios (BIS) that you can buy in stores.

I don't know what you mean by "add-on" vs. "add-in." Think of HOW as an "overlay" to IWD that enhances graphics and other things in the original IWD (e.g. adds support for MUCH higher character levels), plus adding new places to go adventuring.

Trials of The Lure Master (TOTL) is also an official BIS product, that is an overlay to IWD/HOW (I believe you must have HOW already installed over IWD before overlaying TOTL). TOTL adds a large new adventure. The biggest difference is that TOTL must be downloaded (76MB).

I **THINK** (from what I've read) that the enhancements from HOW were great, but only added about 20 hours of game time. So BIS had released a high quality product; but not high on QUANTITY of extra gaming. Not wanting to sully their grand reputation of giving their customers great value for the dollar, BIS released TOTL for **FREE** in order to shore up the only complaint that could be levied against their HOW product. I have not played that far yet (I understand that you need a party that averages level 12, with no character less than 9, to enter HOW); but hear that TOTL, in addition to making some bug fixes to IWD/HOW, provides oodles of the only thing HOW was lacking: QUANTITY.

Hope this helps.
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

Download sites: I know there are at least a few threads in this forum that that give that info. I also remember that one of the sites listed is an official BIS site. I started downloading last night, then saw how long I'd have to stay up, and cancelled out. I'm going to try again, today; and will try to reply to this thread with the site I used and the results. If you can't wait that long, just do what I'm about to do: Snoop around.

Regards,
Old 02-06-2002, 05:45 PM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Just ran across this from Jonni Voodoo, in a reply a few threads down:

Now to answer your question - Fileplanet isn't the only site that has ToTL. Gamesdomain has 4 mirrors for it: http://www.gamesdomain.com/demos/demo/1470.html

--------------------
Old 02-06-2002, 06:28 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

O.K., The file size is just under 72MB. I tried mirror 3 at the above link, and got booted after 36MB. Tried again and got a successful download of 72MB in just under 13 minutes. (No Virginia, you shouldn't expect this kind of performance with a 56K dial-up connection. I was using a T1 back bone connection at work.) The point here is that the site will not likely be the limiting factor on how fast you can download.

Now, just need to burn TOTL ont a CD, buy HOW, and I'm in business....
Old 02-07-2002, 04:11 PM   #9
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Cheers Guys! How Much Is HoW In £££?
Old 02-07-2002, 06:44 PM   #10
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL ... not sure about the currency conversion or foreign markups, BUT i've seen HOW available for 10$ US. At 1.5$ per UK pound, you should be able to get the game for 6 to 10 UK pounds.

BTW, if you are planning to do any multiplayer gaming with IWD et al, make sure you download the TOL expansion. IWD with just HOW installed had some SERIOUS slowdown problems in mplayer mode, and TOL seems to have cured some of those problems.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote