Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 09:28 AM   #1
NobleNick
Quintesson

(HoW spoilers)
~
~
~
~
~

I have only fought this battle once, and "won;" but lost 4 of 6 characters, including one that was not resurrectable. Also, I found that I get dumped out of HoW after this battle without a chance to do final errands in HoW or continue on to TotLM. So, will need to start over from save just before departing for Sea of Moving Ice, and go back to Lonelywood for errands and to do TotLM. So, it will be a while before I return to this fight, but when I do...

My questions are:

1.) Is there a good technique for not getting hit with "Finger of Death" by Isaracht's (sp?) gem? I lost two characters to Big I and minions, but resurrected one, for a net loss of only one; but then the gem toasted 3 more. The only good way I could find to damage the gem was melee: Missiles weren't much good, and magic was virtually useless. Also, I'll guess the FoD spell can take out characters attacking from missile range. Unfortunately, my melee guys would get blasted when they started pounding on the gem. Ideas?

2.) If you just sit around after beating Big I (but not the gem) will the gem keep sending summons after you indefinitely, or is there a limit on its ability to produce these baddies?

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-15-2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hay NobleNick I found that the best strategy for the gem was sending summons in first. Then several fighters, the summons should be the ones to take the death spells.

Have your mage stand in the back and fire whatever spells he can. It has been awhile but I don't believe the soul gem has an overly large amount of resistance. As well the occasional long range weapon does get the occasional damage in I just can't remember which weapons work best. My druid had a returning dagger I think that worked, and I think another character had a returning axe that I believed worked. The Umber Hulks should eventually stop appearing.

My favourite part of the battle was against Isaracht and his small army.

[ 09-16-2003, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Thanks, pritchke!

Duh: should have remembered this tactic from the fight to gain access to RBP's chamber. Ah! Now I remember why I didn't do that: I had fought all the way through the caverns, depleting my spells, and didn't have any summons (or much of any spells at all, for that matter) left after the main battle with big I. To complicate matters, three of my characters are restricted to slings and had run out of bullets.

Those V-guys (umber hulk-like critters) are just easy extra expo for a full party: They were cutting 'em down 4-6 at a time, earlier. But it's a bit tougher when you are down to just a Mage, Bard and almost-dead Cleric with no bullets (and all with no good spells left). Next time I'll tweak the spell mix, rest and reload, and hopefully have a full party AND summons when Big I goes down.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Lymond
Manshoon

NobleNick,

I can't offer anything intelligent on the final fight of HOW, because I've only done it once. I don't recall receiving the finger of death, but I probably did and reloaded. My first time through, my strategy was usually to rush into things and that's probably what I did.

Thanks for the shout out back in the Gloomfrost. My party was on vacation last week, which is why I didn't shout back.

I will probably see you in TOLM soon. I'm planning my trip back to Lonelywood to wrap a couple of things up. Once that's done, I'm going to stop by the Gallows to talk to that guy.

See you there.

Lymond
Old 09-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

You are welcome, Lymond!

I noticed that I hadn't seen posts from you recently. Figured you were too busy turning Ice Golems into snow cones.

I am trying to finish TotLM before my class kicks into overdrive and forces me into a 2-month sabbatical; but don't know if I'll make it. My party just got there and are getting their fannies kicked big-time.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!