Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2003, 11:29 PM   #1
InspectorCluso
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there a reason why a priest cannot acquire speels by reaqding scrolls the same as the mage can.

My party as 1 mage , 1 priest, 1 paladin, 1 ranger, 1 thief and 1 fighter

thanks
InspectorCluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:00 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

mages and bards acquire spells from scrolls by inscribing them into their spellbooks

clerics and druids get spells directly from their dieties....

by the way... i would suggest for your party to have a bard... since many cool items later on can be used only by bards... also his high lore ability is needed.... you dont really need a separate fighter since you already have paladin ranger and cleric as possible tanks... i suggest either remove fighter and put a bard in his place... or remove fighter and thief and have a fighter/thief and bard... how far in the game have you reached?

[ 05-11-2003, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 05-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Welcome to Ironworks, InspectorCluso!

Actually Priests (Clerics and Druids) have an advantage that they don´t need to scribe scrolls to gain spells, in other words they don´t need to buy or find a scroll to be able to use that spell as a mage or bard have to do, they gain all their available spells automatically.

I would also, if possible, follow ZFR advice on the Bard and the Fighter/Thief. A F/T makes a much better backstabber and with a Ranger, a Paladin and to some extent a Priest ( I assume it´s a Cleric) in your party you don´t really need more tanks.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:29 PM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

A bard is a must if you have HoW installed. If not, then you may not wish to bother, but the Fighter/Thief combination is always good if you take the appropriate race.

Similarly, firm favourites of the board are Dwarven Fighter/Clerics and Gnomish Cleric/Illusionists. Try them on for size!

BTW welcome to the boards!

[ 05-11-2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 05-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
InspectorCluso
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I forgot I have a fighter/thief and I am waiting to acquire the extension for Icewind DALE.

I have all the badges and was about to I believe get to the end off the game.

It must be too late to change one off the fithter to be a fighter/bard or can I?

You dont get all the cleric spells because I could not get entangle

thanks
InspectorCluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Entangle is not a Clerical spell, but a Druidic spell. Both types are Priestly, but have their differences.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

With the expansion added on it might be worth the change but, and you knew there'd be one, you can't dual class to a bard (or paladin for that fact). The only classes you can dual to are the ones that are available as a multi-class. That way you get some idea of how the demi-humans work without playing them. Of course, you need the stat requirements as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't worry about the bard though; they only really come into their own in HoW.