Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2003, 02:47 AM   #1
Manshoon

I know, I know... once you read this you'll think it should be somewhere other than general discussion, but I wasn't sure WHERE that would be.

See, here's the dilemma; I installed Warcraft 3 on my computer and downloaded all patches and everything. Long story short, there's a graphics glitch that, according to Blizzard's tech support site, is caused by the graphics/video card I have.

http://blizzard.com/support/?id=awr0555p
Mine is the S3 ProSavageDDR, and the problem I'm having is exactly what they describe. So, naturally I follow all avenues recommended.

1. I contacted Blizzard, and they only could tell me to contact the manufacturer or the computer and ask what would be compatible that I could install and get the game to work.

2. I contacted my computer manufacturer and asked what could be done, explained everything... they said it sounds like a corrupt card and say to reinstall. (obviously they didn't get the part where I said "This is a common problem with EVERYONE who has this card) I humored them and reinstalled it, and it fixed nothing. Their next idea was to adjust about a million and one settings, which, again, fixed nothing. They kept thinking the card was bad or something. They didn't get that it was working FINE, it's just a problem with compatibility. Their next brilliant idea was Blizzard's first; pass the responsibility to someone else. So they told me to contact the company that made the video card.

3. I emailed the company, twice... it's been two weeks and there's no response.

I can't stand playing my game when it glitches as badly as it does, and I can't even use the Night Elves because I can't see half of the units at all. It's all messed up and I don't know how to fix it... any suggestions or information about compatibility with video cards would be welcome.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:10 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

This card is known for it's glitches (my experience) in almost every 3d rendering game. My mate has it and when I installed Morrowind there was all this weird white/metallic shading everywhere and on Thief 2 the shadows (of all things the shadows!) wouldn't render properly and the gamma was seriously messed up - these two games are the only ones I got to try on his PC before giving it up and cursing the thing. Really I have found it to be a terrible card that should be isolated to managing applications only, and that's my honest opinion.

I did not waste much time attempting to tweak it however so you may well be able to. But again, on install of both of games the graphics were always glitched and that can't bode well at all.

I'd seriously think about buying a new card, a different one. Even a cheap Geforce 2 MX (20 bux ebay) will play Warcraft wonderfully (or at least acceptably).
Old 09-04-2003, 03:43 AM   #3
Manshoon

Yeah... I'm thinking that's what I may need to do. But like I said, Compaq wasn't much help when I was asking what would be compatible with my current setup, so I'm really hesitant to mess with it. But I'll do some research on that card. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by 605:
Yeah... I'm thinking that's what I may need to do. But like I said, Compaq wasn't much help when I was asking what would be compatible with my current setup, so I'm really hesitant to mess with it. But I'll do some research on that card. Thanks for the tip
if you post your current setup im sure we can tell you what would be good
Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
Manshoon

current setup = what info? I'm not very computer savy, so tell me what ya mean and I"ll find it out
Old 09-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #6
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by 605:
current setup = what info? I'm not very computer savy, so tell me what ya mean and I"ll find it out
CPU: Make and Speed;
RAM: Amount (ie Mb);

thats pretty much all thats needed to tell what card would be good. unless youve had a major upgrade this characterises the system .