Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 04:03 PM   #1
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

A married couple whom I'm friends with recently had a baby.

They go to my church. They hear me sing regularly there and own a copy of the album of "contemporary praise" I recently finished for the church.

So, they played it while she gave birth. It calmed her and the child. They told me that my voice was singing at the moment the child entered the world.

Now, whenever the baby is upset, they put on the CD and it calms him. Obviously associating the calmness his mother has experienced while hearing the music when he was in the womb.

Anyhow, this blew me away. I do not have children. While I was married I did want children - in hindsight this would not have been good of course... But still.

I was deeply moved that by creating a CD I could be present and impacting an event I was not physically there for. The birth of a child is of incredible significance, to the parents, and to the child of course To be affecting such a moment is so very humbling. To be physically calming them... it blows me away.

Anyhow, in contemplating all this I realised again, what wonderful people nurses and midwives are. It's an everyday job for them, yet their impact on people is unthinkably large. Makes making music seem trivial.

Still, I felt touched and honoured that they told me. That my music meant enough for them to have it playing at such a central event in their life. It will always be associated with it for them.... astounding.

Thanks for reading this. I had to share it.

Be safe all. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Wow. Bet that feels ace [img]smile.gif[/img] Good on ya mate!
Old 06-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Your effect on the child will stay with it, consciously or subconsciously. For that you should be extremely proud. Well done [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Poor kid.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Horatio

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Poor kid.
In a Vaskez kind of mood? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #6
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Wow! That is incredible! I heard you sing on the preview of the album you posted a little while back, and you sound incredible. The child is very lucky, and yes, the music will stay in his subconscious for the rest of his life if he heard it at birth. Who knows, it may be source of comfort for him (it is male??) in the future. Well done!! I don't know what else to say... [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Awwwwww... that's a great story Hugh!!
And I can see why the parents did it - you do have a very pleasant sound to your voice... What I mean is, personally I adore Natalie Dessay singing the revenge aria in Mozart's Magic Flute, but I wouldn't exactly think it a pleasing or soothing sound for a baby. Your voice does have a soothing, warm quality though, I can imagine if it was played at birth it would make the baby feel happy/relaxed if it was played again later. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I'm of the opinion that music is good for everyone, anyway - definitely for kids too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

that's great, I'm sure the child will be your biggest fan someday.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:49 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric

What a beautiful testament to the gift God has given you, Yorick. That must be a truly wondeful feeling.

Good for you, my friend. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2003, 12:07 AM   #10
sylent
Emerald Dragon

beautiful to be able to share something like that [img]smile.gif[/img]
I make a spot of music from time to time, and I get a kick out of sharing it.. not because I seek praise, but because I like what I do, and its good to see other people liking it.

I'm sure I'm just an amatuer in comparison, but its still good fun.
Thats pretty special though, definately an incredible experience.
Good for you [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-17-2003, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: sylent ]