Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 12:51 PM   #1
Sark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What graphics card do people use for this game? I bought a 32MB ATI Radeon AIW PCI card yesterday and am experiencing polygon 'glitching' when looking around the site you begin at.

(The pc is a PII-450, Win98, 256MB RAM [pc100] - above the specs listed on the box)

thanks.
Sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

The card shouldn't be a problem, but you may wish to reduce the resolution since you're running the program on an older CPU (Pentium II rather than III or 4). That should fix the issue of polygon glitches.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 01:43 PM   #3
Merkin
Manshoon

I finally ditched my Radeon when I found the G-Force 2 64 meg on sale a few months ago. Best damn upgrade I've ever made. The G-Force 3 is state of the art, but mondo expensive (about $300) The G-2 feels like I got a whole new system for $100. Best buy available for graphics cards right now.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:18 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

try a couple of things.

run "Setup" from the wizardry group in your start button/program listings.

ok. it does all the autodetecting, but now, you have options not only with the resolutions mentioned, but with how your card interprets everything.

the default is DirectX 7... try using the others. (sometimes using the software mode from the dropdown menu will make all that go away. but if you can run it with Dx, that would be best!)

now, pick a resolution and go into the game and try it. keep doing different combos till you find what you like.

i have a Radeon 32 and find that Dx 7, res 800x600x32 works very well.

i also think that you should make sure your desktop resolution is at the same setting or higher than your game setting.

::looks down at her knees:: whaaat?
is my slip showing or something?
ok, ok, so that may be an old fashioned way of thinking, but in some games i find it works very well.

i hope you get it working and soon! i can't stand the thought of a player not playing. ::smiles::

V***V
Old 12-03-2001, 03:30 PM   #5
Hooptie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just so you know a good video card to get now is the Ge Force 3ti 200. Its not as quite as fast as the Ti 500, but its about half the price. I'd get the GE Force 3ti's before going with a GE Force 2 personally...
Hooptie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:36 PM   #6
Sark
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the replies so far.

Veselle I think I'll tinker as you say first before trying what Saz says. I know it's an old (to some "now archaic" system, but for 9x its still a fully functional sytem - I'm just not a hardcore gamer... the previous card in the box was a Millenium II.... works sweet for Rage/Sparcade/Mame

hooptie, thanks for the suggestion. not sure what the specs are on that card but, given the age of the machine, I don't want to bung mucho dineiro on a card for an old box.
Sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 03:44 PM   #7
MagiK

I've got a GeForce 3 card (Hercules) Its great, love the resolution (1600x1200) in 32bit mode. If your gonna buy a card Id save untill you can get a G-3 or a Radeon 8500 You will be very glad you waited...and you wont have to upgrade for a long time.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:47 PM   #8
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
::looks down at her knees:: whaaat?
is my slip showing or something?
ok, ok, so that may be an old fashioned way of thinking, but in some games i find it works very well.

V***V

You lost me there Vesselle what on earth are you talkin about??
Old 12-03-2001, 04:06 PM   #9
vesselle
Hathor

~~magiK~~

LOL! am i too blonde today?

anyway, IRL when i suggest matching desktop rez to game rez, most of my friends just stare at me like i either have something green and yucky stuck to my lip or i forgot to get dressed......

i thought i might get away with it ::sighs, smiling:: i usually do. but you caught me fair and square.

i'm actually rather pleased that this has been the only thing in all my 300-odd posts that anyone has actually said "what the huh?" to.

V***V
Old 12-03-2001, 05:21 PM   #10
Mage of Mystra
Dungeon Master

Asus v8200 GeForce 3 here. So graphics ain't a problem for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mage of Mystra is offline   Reply With Quote