Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2003, 11:34 AM   #51
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
[qb] You must prove that for me to believe it Magik.

As far as I know, it is not proven that drug legalization will lead to an increase in drug use, nor is it proven that drug users in genersal, not just addicts, are any more or less productive than say a person who drinks, or is totally sober.

Your are right there Chewie, I have no statistical analysis to work from, all I have really is annecdotal evidence from my very first two years in the navy before they implemented widespread urinalysis programs....I know which people were likely to do better work and which ones were likely to get me or someone else killed. And I agree 100% with you that Alcohol is just as deadly as pot, and I can also tell you..in my current company we just had a guy fired due to his sloppy work which was brought on by alcoholism, he was the second one since I have been working here.. Drunk or stoned..you are not a good employee or an effective worker...In my own experience of course...but as I said I have no studies to back this up.
[/QUOTE]Yeah, substance use at work I would usually frown upon, I fired this kid who came to work all stoned and reeking of pot, he must have been smoking a few moments before coming to work. Doh! He told me he thought I would over-look it considering it was a job at a music store. Nope, being all red-eyed and like "dude" is unprofessional.

I have no problem if he wants to play "Bill & Ted" during off time, but not on my watch.

That said, I have read that pot is used in some cultures, predominately African, to increase the productivity of manual labor! Oh yeah- the use of Coca and kat are also common "motivators".

Also the Rastafarians are know to use pot to facilitate an atmosphere of reason while having discussions. Boy we could use that around here some days!

All in All, I know alot of casual pot-smokers, more than not. They certainly are not dragging society down any more than casual drinkers are. They are psychiatrists, HR managers, lawyers, doctors, photographers, furniture salesmen, small business people, soldiers, state building inspectors, students, homemakers, and parents, ect. The most unproductive thing about this lifestyle is getting caught, you miss work if your in jail or in court.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:45 AM   #52
MagiK

To be honest, my more harsh comments are directed at more...hard core drugs than pot or alcohol.

[ 06-04-2003, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-04-2003, 11:54 AM   #53
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

To be honest, my more harsh comments are directed are more...hard core drugs than pot or alcohol.
I can dig it. I was a cocaine addict for a few years (I'm going on 10 years sober from the white demon.) I didnt care about work or life or anything then, only coke.

Fortunately I recieved help from people who didnt see me as a criminal, but as someone with serious health issues, both mental and physical. With a lil perspective, some support and new belief in myself I did overcome. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway... I feel like I know where you are coming from with regards to hard substances. People who play with fire risk getting burned....
Old 06-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #54
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I smoked crack once, and belive me when I say this...Never again I did not eat for 4 days, and still have trouble being hungry, It was less than a year ago, so I know why people should stay away from them, plus I have seen what it did to my brother, he spent 6 months in jail for breaking into my home and stealing my baby, but he was under the influnce plus he is Schisophrinic, and had a "flashback" to when we were children and thought he was protecting her, he is sober and clean now, and we are all proud of him
Old 06-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #55
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

Subject 1: Original Focus
In the original debate, I attempted to establish that without a real power to resist, people's freedoms were inherently at risk. Without the power to stop criminals who don't bother with gun laws anyways, people's safety is dependant on a slow-reacting police force, even if they're doing the best they can, it's better that the people have the power to fill that gap in safety.
Subject 2: New Focus
I agree with the criminalization of marijuana, or at least being able to legally fire someone who comes to work high, just as one can be fired for showing up drunk. As a 'privacy of their own home' sort of thing, it should be legal. Smoking/snorting/shooting in public should be illegal, on the grounds that once that crap is in the air, I'm forced to inhale it. The sulfide pollution from smoke stacks is less dangerous...