Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Shut up, B**ch, I ain't gonna shoot you,
I'm gonna pull you to this bullet and put it through you.

-Eminem

Guess it is the bullets to blame, then, huh.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #12
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
I don't blame the gun. I blame the bullets. Guns don't kill people, bullets do.
But without the gun the bullets couldn't have been fired...[/QUOTE]And without the bullets the gun is only useful for beating a dead horse [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 04:44 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by slicer15:
Ooookaaaay. If that gun firm hadn't produced the guns, then a different one would have. How pointless is that? Are they looking for someone to blame APART from the actual snipers? If so, why exactly?
Sorry if I sound a bit heartless, I may be wrong 'cos I've never lost anyone close to me, and I hate to think about that. But the real perpetrators have been caught. Why want more?
Because the snipers are what's called "judgment-proof" (i.e. poor). Can't get blood from a stone. And, the families have sought lawyers asking something any one of us would - "I know these guys will go to jail, but can I sue somebody for money for my lost loved one?"
Old 01-16-2003, 05:17 PM   #14
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I wonder what their motive is.
Respect for the dead.. or money?
Old 01-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #15
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

The motive for this is simple greed, and as far as I'm concerned the courts should slap this down before it even gets through the preliminaries.

Now this doesn't exactly apply to this situation, but there's a saying I remember from growing up: "A thief is shot in the night; who's finger is on the trigger?"

Everyone (except the canadian anti-gun politicians, of course) knows the answer to this riddle is "The thiefs". The thief entered into the situation with both eyes open and has noone but himself to blame for getting shot at while doing a b&e. Likewise, these families have noone to blame but the snipers...
Old 01-16-2003, 05:36 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

So, Sir Krustin, the answer is simply "too bad?" "Look, we know your husband and the father of your children is dead, and you have lost your only means of income, but it's no one's fault but these criminals - so just suck it up like a good American, okay."

Perhaps that *is* the answer. Perhaps these families have no recourse. I sure wish they did though. Why can't rich f-ers be the ones to commit crimes? Like OJ - he won his criminal trial and then had EVERYTHING taken from him in the civil trial.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:48 PM   #17
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:

-Eminem

Lmao never would of thought Timber of all people would be a Eminem fan (well if hes not even to know the lyrics is suprising). Anyway its not the guns fault or the makers of the guns fault. For somereason *money seems to heal all wounds* [img]graemlins/headshake.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM   #18
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
So, Sir Krustin, the answer is simply "too bad?" "Look, we know your husband and the father of your children is dead, and you have lost your only means of income, but it's no one's fault but these criminals - so just suck it up like a good American, okay."
Basically correct - like you said, the gun company has money so that makes them a target.

The wage-earner could just as easily died in a landslide or a freak accident at work, and the result would be just as devastating to the family.

Looking for a scapegoat doesn't solve *any* of the problems, and allowing the lawsuit to succeed out of sympathy for the family's predicament just sets a precedent for other greedy people to do the same.

Lawsuits are for legitimate beefs, and what I call fivolous lawsuits are ruining the states, and rapidly becoming a problem up here as well.

Look at civil aviation, it died a quiet death in the seventies because people died in aircraft accidents, and the victims families sued the aircraft manufacturers for the deaths - even when the crash was plainly the result of pilot incompetence or lack of maintenance. You know what? The lawsuits succeeded! Simply put, there was no way to prove a negative - the aircraft manufacturers couldn't prove that there wasn't a hidden manufacturing defect responsible for the crash - after all the aircraft is now a mangled piece of wreckage.

This is why you can only really buy private aircraft in kits that you build yourself (with the exception of very expensive Lears and Gulfstreams, of course)
so the kit manufacturer can decline responsibility for the airworthiness of the airframe.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Blind_Prophet:
quote:

-Eminem

Lmao never would of thought Timber of all people would be a Eminem fan (well if hes not even to know the lyrics is suprising). Anyway its not the guns fault or the makers of the guns fault. For somereason *money seems to heal all wounds* [img]graemlins/headshake.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]You'd be surprised how much I find in common with a whiteboy scrawny foulmouthed trailer park trash punk who cut his teeth on rap music in high school and still occassionally succumbs to wilding out and being violent, catching a good old fashioned passionate ass whoopin and getting your shoes coat and your hat tooken.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:05 PM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sir Krustin, my firm has a rather decent aviation law practice, so I know what you mean.

One nit-picky point: had he (our hypothetical sniper victim) died in a landslide at work, worker's comp would give the widow income.

What about the $$$$ given to victims of 9/11. Do you folks support that? If so, would something similar be appropriate for the sniper victims? In case you didn't know, in most cities/states if you are a victim of violent crime and can't afford medical care a state fund covers it for you.