Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2002, 09:19 AM   #41
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Erudite Epona! Blimey. Can you read Latin then?
I can read a bit, but I mostly do inscriptions these days being into archaeology. Therefore my translation skills are fine for tomb inscriptions, but passages of text floor me somewhat (it's the grammar!) so I had to dig out that translation - the words I knew, but the order they go in makes a difference and that's what I find difficult! It doesn't matter so much when you're translating that "Maximus the Centurion woz buried 'ere"!!
Old 07-05-2002, 09:40 AM   #42
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

One point Id like to make about the removal of words. Ive seem more blacks call eachother the "N" word than Ive ever heard white people use it. "N this" "N that" "Wut up N" "N you CRAZY!!" Many dont mind if a white person says it---- its in the tone of voice that pisses them off. Say the "N" word one way and they laugh and pat you on the back all buddy buddy. Say it the other way and they try to take your head off.

Historicly the Chinese hate the Japanese and visa versa. Maybe thats the problem. I dont know what the cause is or who the group is but its pretty damn stupid.

Ive never BEEN politicly correct. I never WILL be politicly correct. Im not even going to TRY to be politicly correct. They can pass all the dumb laws they want but it doesnt mean I wont ignore them if its not convenient for me. It doesnt matter if its how much pressure I can have on my showerhead or if its the word "oriental."

People have been using the word "oriental" for hundreds, even thousands of years. Passing a law will NOT stop that overnight.

I know alot of my fellow Texas often refer to ANY soft drink as a COKE. We say "lets go to the store and get a Coke." Often times we buy Dr. Pepper or Pepsi or Mountain Dew or R.C. or Sprite.

Might as well be trying to outlaw the word Coke when not actually talking about Coca-Cola. (The word coke comes from the Coca plant that cocaine is made from. The word Cola comes from the Cola bean which also an ingredient in Coca-Cola. Yes Coke still has cocaine in it but its be processed down so many times its called De-cocanised coke. There are only about 4 particles in a 12 ounce can, and they have no potency.)
Old 07-05-2002, 12:33 PM   #43
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I take it that you will end up dying of caffiene overdose long before cocaine overdose when it comes to Coca-Cola?
Old 07-05-2002, 01:58 PM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Erudite Epona! Blimey. Can you read Latin then?
I can read a bit, but I mostly do inscriptions these days being into archaeology. Therefore my translation skills are fine for tomb inscriptions, but passages of text floor me somewhat (it's the grammar!) so I had to dig out that translation - the words I knew, but the order they go in makes a difference and that's what I find difficult! It doesn't matter so much when you're translating that "Maximus the Centurion woz buried 'ere"!![/QUOTE]Wow. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 07-07-2002, 04:17 AM   #45
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
I take it that you will end up dying of caffiene overdose long before cocaine overdose when it comes to Coca-Cola?
Precisely I hate to think of how bloated one would get trying to drink enough Coca-Cola to OD on. [img]graemlins/drunkass.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/repuke.gif[/img]

[ 07-07-2002, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Earthdog ]
Old 07-07-2002, 04:37 AM   #46
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
I always thought that the orient was a geographical description for the eastern asian countries. The people from it would the be called orientals. Is that discriminating? Does that mean you can´t call people from Scandinavia Scandinavians?
I will not be sad or angry if someone called me an Scandinavian but i have never been called that so most people from other parts of the world say "ohh you are an Norwegian and so on so i cant understand if they will remove the word "orientale" from the english language anyway what is wrong with that word?

[ 07-07-2002, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-07-2002, 04:37 AM   #47
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I dont think they *will* ban it... if anything, if it offends, they will probably make it 'politically incorrect' or something stupid like that...
Old 07-08-2002, 06:13 AM   #48
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Rimjaw:
Like my compatriots just said, I too wouldn't get angry if anybody called me 'Oriental' Although I don't think anybody's called me 'Oriental' to my face before. Its an archaic, poetic, hyperbole-ish word that doesn't have much use in modern conversation (probably more use in literature) when you can simply call the person an 'Asian'.
In the UK the word 'Asian' is used specifically for people from India and Pakistan. Obviousy the word can be used in a wider sense (evidenced by my latest copy of Asian Babes).

There is a move by the Indian community in Britain to distance themselves from the term 'Asian' because they feel they are lumped in with Muslims and want to differntiate themselves in the wake of the terrorist attacks.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show