Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 04:04 PM   #1
Ranger
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all! I have been an AD&D player since I was about 10, back in the early 80's. Now I am enjoying the Baldur's Gate Series of CRPG's.

I'd like to know a little more about the history and evolution of D&D and AD&D.

As I understand it, Gary Gygax and two other fellows created the gaming system of AD&D in the early to mid 70's. Did they also create D&D? What is the distinction between D&D and AD&D?

I've read and re-read the Tolkein trilogy. Fantastic books that must have had an influence on Gygax's work on the AD&D gaming system. Does anyone know if Gygax claims to have used these books as a reference or inspiration?

I'd appreciate any insight that you folks have about the evolution of D&D, the early works of Gygax, or the part that Tolkein's books played or didn't play in the development of the gaming system.

Thanks for your help,
Ranger
Old 11-27-2001, 04:08 PM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

This is a good initiative! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I, for one, will look forward to any answers!
Old 11-27-2001, 04:14 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

D&D(Dungeons & Dragons) came first.

Then AD&D(Advanced Dungeons & Dragons). Followed by the different "editions".

Both by the same people, just an evolution of the process.

I'm sure they were influenced by Tolkien's work, the story of Camelot, and all the other fantasy work up to that time.

I think that's right [img]graemlins/arcadefreak.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Hiya Ranger,

I see our names are somwhat Simlar

Anyway, I think what Ronn_Bman said was pretty accurate but I am not too sure.

Memnoch might know, well I am sure alot of people know but he is the first that comes to mind.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:58 PM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

I copied this from HERE

A Brief History of Dungeons and Dragons
"Oh, you play D&D? I remember that from junior high. I didn't think anybody played it anymore."

I hear that comment over and over, and it's made me think, exactly how long have I been playing this, anyway?

Dungeons & Dragons was begun by Dave Arneson in 1971 at the University of Minnesota. In 1973 he approached Gary Gygax and they formed Tactical Studies Rules (TSR) to make the game. In 1975, the company incorporated as TSR, Inc., and D&D took its place as the grandfather of all role-playing games. Although TSR, Inc. experimented with a number of other game genres, its first creation, D&D, remained the mainstay of TSR, Inc.'s corporate strength.

In 1979, TSR, Inc. released the first book for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, with more sophisticated divisions between races and classes and more complex rules for character development and game mechanics. AD&D swiftly surpassed the simpler D&D in popularity and is now the preeminent of the two games.

In 1989, a second edition of AD&D was released that began shifting the game's focus to a point-based system. Virtually all subsequent modules and reference books written for AD&D use second-edition rules, and second-edition AD&D is still the implicit core of D&D publishing. However, in 1995, TSR, Inc. took the controversial step of publishing the first of a set of Player's Option rulesbooks that continued to move D&D closer to a point-based system. When the PO books were published, many players assumed they were the "third edition" of AD&D. However, TSR, Inc. vehemently denied this.

In 1997, Wizards of the Coast bought out TSR, Inc. A lot of people worried that this meant the end of D&D, but judging from plans, that doesn't seem to be the case. As of this writing, the FAQ about product plans acknowledges that a third edition of D&D is being considered, but nothing concrete has been determined (or, at least, released to the public).

So, let's see ... it's not quite 1998 yet, so D&D has been around 24 years! I guess it has been a long time, hasn't it? Well, if that means some mundanes think my interests are stuck at a junor high level, so be it—I intend to still be rolling dice and slaying dragons even as they roll me into the nursing home....

Written by Dru Pagliassotti