Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 05:13 PM   #11
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

I'm going to hell right?

I'll see you there! We'll have a barbecue.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: MILAMBER ]

\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 01-10-2002, 05:32 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I think as along as you are not making money from using software, and by that I mean not games, then it's okey to use it. I have a pirated version of 3d Studio max, I'm learning how to use it and as soon as I get a job using it, then I'll pay for it (well in theory). I never pirate games cause their prices are not as insane as applications.

I'm going to hell right?

Sorry, but copying a program of any sort that is being sold by it's creator or the company who developed it is considered software piracy. If the program is shareware or freeware it's different. The people who worked on creating the program have to feed and clothe themselves too. Every copy that is stolen instead of purchased is less income and less incentive to improve the program or create new ones. And those of us who buy software pay more because of it.

I don't expect my dentist to fill a tooth for me and not pay him nor do I think I can walk out of store with an armload of groceries or jewelry without paying, so I have to expect to pay for the software too. I won't say I've never used pirated software, but I try not do knowingly do so now.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]

Old 01-10-2002, 06:01 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I gotta agree that it isn't right to copy games. The game developers then don't get the money they earned, and also because of that sometimes no more games are made because of lack of finances, so in the end, the game copyer loses as well.

I know some people who do it all the time. Luckily now many games cannot be copied, as I figure developers are getting a bit keen on what is going on re copying. I know some people who would go out and buy the game, copy it, then return the game for a full refund! Yeah, it's a neat trick, but not a very honorable one.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 01-10-2002, 06:31 PM   #14
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
I download FULL games off warez for free.

I can see why people say they don't agree, but it saves ME a hell of a lot of money. And if i said I cud get you FULL FREE games, I'm sure you'd be tempted.

The question isn't one of temptation--after all, many of us may feel tempted to commit a variety of crimes, such as ramming the car of some bozo who shoots around a corner into a parking space we were angling into. No, the question is one of succumbing coldly to a temptation to steal something that belongs to somebody else.

I think I can talk, because I've been on one of those chat/file services that actually includes a few warez sites. Stopped in on one, once. Saw what was going on, the names of the games being offered for free download, etc. Left. I save up my money, and buy exactly what I want from reputable sources.
Old 01-10-2002, 06:44 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by fable:
I thought about placing this topic under Polls, but really didn't want yes/no answers as much as civil discussion of the issue. It's arisen over in the Wizardry 8 forum, and there have actually been a couple of people defending the idea of piracy--on grounds that I found rather feeble, personally.

My own feelings are that pirating software is a stupid, short-sighted act that cheats the developers. It lessens the chances of further games in the same line, because it shrinks the visible market for the product which accountants use to determine where company profits will go in the future. It's not like the stolen game can be simply "written off" as theft by a store; the merchandiser doesn't see a copy getting stolen when it's pirated. And when lots of pirated copies are out there (and this happens unfortunately), it makes a good, popular game look much less appealing to publishers thanks to poorer than expected sales.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: fable ]

What got me is the "I'm sooo poor" yet he HAS a PC and HAS a Inet connection.. total BS. As someone said, Games are a luxary.

Ironworks won't support anyone that Pirates a game. it's STEALING, and makes it cost more for us all.

MOST warez people say 'I try before I buy, to see if it's good'.. well, there is USUALLY a demo you can download these days.

Anyway, my and Ironworks Stand on this..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 01-10-2002, 06:53 PM   #16
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Ok, I'll be honest.

I can see why people say they don't agree, but it saves ME a hell of a lot of money.

While it saves YOU a lot of money, it's making excellent gaming companies like Sirtech Canada go out of business.

Now about 3D apps. A LONG time ago a friend gave me a copy of trueSpace1, and I didn't even KNOW at the time it was a bigtime app, hell, I thought it was SHAREWARE! lol, but After I found out, I saved my money up and purchaced it. It was $799.00, and was the second best app I have used. (Adobe Photoshop 5.5 is my #1 app I bought and use). and you don't see me warzing Adobe Photoshop 6 "JUST to have the latest version" -- I do without.

Old 01-10-2002, 06:56 PM   #17
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

It's funny to see people distinguishing between games and other programs. Is it ok to copy Photoshop but not BG2? Is this intentional or just the way you all are writing? Out of curiosity, how many of you paid for your copy of photoshop? How many of you paid for photoshop plugins?

I have never met anybody in my life that personally owns a registered copy of every piece of software on his/her computer.

Do all of you own all of your software?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 01-10-2002, 06:57 PM   #18
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
There is no justification.
I am just a dispicable person
but i'm ok with that.

Hey, Where are your Golems??? If you still have them (The larger versions) can you email them to me? I just want to archive all the best sig's for the future-- Working on a 'sig museum'.. kinda cool!

Old 01-10-2002, 07:08 PM   #19
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I am closing this thread--before anyone ELSE admits to this.. I don't wanna know okay? Geez. It just makes you look bad guys.