Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 09:21 PM   #1
Tom
Elminster

Ok, why are there lvl 6,7,8,9 spell pages in the mage book if you only get 5 and below?

Another thing, on one of the TotSC items, it says ...much like the lvl 8 spell mind blank.

What were they(game designers) thinking?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Because it is possible to learn Level 6, 7, 8, or 9 spells. Not in BG1/ToSC, of course, but if you take your character further into the series, you will find those spells. I realize that those pages of the spellbook will always be BLANK in BG1 (unless you're playing Dark Side), but the alternative--having one's spellbook stop at page 5--implies that there are no more spells to learn, and would almost be a nod to the EXP cap, another way of saying "This is as far as you can go in this GAME."
Old 01-11-2002, 06:02 AM   #3
Anarion

what is 'playing dark side' ?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Playing Dark side, refers to playing DSOTSC. This is Dark Side Of The Sword Coast, which is an unofficial expansion pack for BG1. It also requires TOTSC, and it also lets you goto higher levels, has new NPC's, and lets you have up2 level 9 spells.

I have it, but have never played it.

It can be found online, I think (if memory serves, at one of the following, cant remember which)

http://www.darkside.com
http://www.dsotsc.com
Old 01-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #5
Psybeznia
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
B]Originally Posted By Tom[/B]
Much like the level 8 spell Mind Blank

Fair enough, but if my memories serve me correctly, there is no Level 8 spell called Mind Blank in Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal! Sorry, just had to say!!!!

Oh, by the way, what does the dark side envolve? Evil characters, mages only, please respond. Thanks
Psybeznia<br />Archmage Of Illusion<br />Legendary Wizard<br />Lieutenant Commander of the DJG Swashbuckler-Mage Extraordinaire Bartenders<br /><br />Son of a Murdered Drow<br />And I SHALL have my REVENGE!<br /><br />Since I am not always at my computer, ususally hunting for my Drow Father\'s murderer, please accept a responce from DJG as a responce from me!
Psybeznia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Psybeznia:
Oh, by the way, what does the dark side envolve? Evil characters, mages only, please respond. Thanks

No, it's basically an expansion just like TotSC which adds new quests and stuff, only it's unofficial.

Refer to Lavindathar's post on where to download it, if you want to get it.
If one of those sites doesn't have it, try www.teambg.com

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:35 PM   #7
Benthic
Welcomed New User

I have played through BG1 and TotSC twice and have started again but with DSotSC v.1.0.3 installed. It runs without bugs and has new NPCs, new spells, new weapons and enhanced encounters (even more encounters). It is awesome. If you like BG1-TotSC, you will LOVE this game. Also, as was mentioned above the level cap is set to 40!
I highly recommend it.
Benthic
Benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #8
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I like Dark Side not for the 5 quests and 8 NPCs it adds, but for the terrific spells it gives you: up to level 9 for mages, level 7 for clerics, and level 6 for druids. That and some very nice items for clerics, paladins, bards, and druids. Also it looks like druids (and rangers?) get special abilities to morph into a variety of higher level monsters.

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Lemernis ]

Old 01-15-2002, 08:49 PM   #9
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Lemernis,

What changes, if any, does DSotSC make to the basic BG1/TotSC game? Aside from adding new spells and items, and the new NPCs and game areas how does the mod change the encounters originally found in ToTSC? Have they been altered / made more difficult; or is more of a straight forward add-on similiar to the manner in which both Trials and HoW simply added new areas, items, etc did to IWD?

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 01:11 AM   #10
Mossy
Dungeon Master

They beefed up the quests abit. Don't want to spoil it for you but the first time you run into a goblin shaman it'll get you back into playing the game.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote