Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2002, 02:10 AM   #21
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Boots of Speed will make this fight a breeze.

Failing that, just drink an Oil of Speed potion.

Run in circles around the room, pausing only occasionally to turn around and fire off a few arrows. The Shadow Dragon casts Protection from Magical Weapons and Stoneskin, so shoot normal arrows for 4 rounds, to get rid of his Stoneskins and wait for the PfMW spell to run out.

Once his spell protection has run out, switch to Acid/Fire/Ice Arrows. The Stoneskins will absorb the physical damage, but the elemental damage will go through. Once the Stoneskin wears out, swtich to Arrows of Biting/Piercing to rapidly reduce the Dragon's Hp.

The fight is winnable, I fought it with my solo Archer on Insane Difficulty and only received damage from the Wing Buffet. Firkragg has fallen too as well.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 05:16 AM   #22
banzai
Manshoon

If you have the shadow dragon wardstone cast magic resistance at him. Use you cleric with the lowest level for this - he will just have about 15 - 20 % magic resistance after that. The best is he won´t consider this as a hostile action and turn red.
Take all your spell casters and cast your best mind influencing spells (feeblemind, chaos etc.) at him.
In my case I had 3 spellcasters casting chaos (ST -4), feeblemind (ST -2) and strict thought at him. I tried this several times (just to be sure) and at least one of those spells always get through.
Afterwards it´s just hacking him into pieces without any resistance ...
Old 02-23-2002, 07:08 PM   #23
hitherebobby
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just killed this guy (relatively easy with "lower magic resistance" and sequenced "magic missile") but his corpse didn't have anything on it. Fikragg had the weapon and the scales, but the shadow dragon didn't even show a corpse that could be clicked on.

Does he have anything?
hitherebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:23 PM   #24
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
Does he have anything?

He Drops:

spoiler
Shadow Dragon Scales (forged to make Shadow Dragon Armour)
Crom Faeyr Scroll (Super weapon component)
Random Gems
A few thousand gold pieces

If you have ToB installed, hold down TAB and the items should be highlighted. Failing that, go over every pixel of the corpse until you find them.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: Jim ]

Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 07:48 PM   #25
Meanal
Dungeon Master

Im new to this game too, and i have just beat the shadow dragon without casting one spell, these are the people i had

Alan(wizard Slayer) lvl 9 with a warhammer+1 giantkind+4
Korgan lvl 9 with the frostreaver axe and a large shield
Minsc lvl 9 with the flail of ages and a normal mace
Mazzy lvl 9 with a shortbow that fires 3 shots a round and ice arrows
viconia lvl 9 with the dragons bane and sunstone bullets
Jan lvl 9 with a light crossbow+1 and lightening bolts

I did this on my first attempt, now this is what i did

1) Put all 3 of my fightersright next to him, one to the left one to the right and one in front

2) I then put all my archer behind him at a distance

3) The all attack him at the same time

4) When you start to attack him he casts protection from magic weapons so have a spare normal one

5) He also uses a Wingbuffet when he does that just keep fighting they will regain concouis(i cant spell) in a few seconds

and thats how i done it ohh and by the way my 3 archers did not get hit once and my 3 fighters didnt even lose half there hp
Old 02-23-2002, 07:53 PM   #26
SoaS
Dungeon Master

quote:
Originally posted by Meanal:
shortened out

Very cute and good and all, but off target, he's asking how to beat him on a solo carreer.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #27
Nifft the Nimble

Solo Archer vs Dragon: poison and speed.

Boots or Oil, you'll need speed.

Get some Scrolls of Restoration, too -- if the dragon breathes on you, you'll lose levels. Run away and restore yourself.

Now for the poison: Arrows of Biting (or Bolts of Biting if you're going the Crossbow route). They're very expensive, so make sure you're hitting her when her stoneskins are down. Before her stoneskins are down, use Arrows of Fire / Ice / Acid / Dispelling.

I recommend taking on this dragon only after you're 9th level or above. She can cast Death Spell... it's best if you're immune to it, as there is no saving throw.

Other Potions: Get a Potion of Invulnerability. +5 Saving Throws (think breath weapon), plus lowering your base AC (instead of armor) to 0. Probably better than whatever leather you're wearing. Does Invisibility work on dragons? Find out!

Do you have any way to summon little helpers? Horn of Valhalla, Spider Kithrix, Staff of Fire / Air / Earth, Efreet Bottle, Ring of Djinn Summoning? Some of these are easy to get, others are not found until late in the game. (Don't use the Ring --- if the Djinn dies, the ring goes to. Or so it says. And you're summoning a little helper primarily to take the heat while you run away.)

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote