Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2001, 06:41 PM   #1
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Anyone read any of the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley? I am actually waiting for the tv movie, The Mists of Avalon, which is on July 15th. I had hoped to read the first book before then, but it doesn't look like I will make it with only a couple weeks to go.

------------------

Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:21 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

I did...I especially loved the one entitled Mists of Avalon....it was such a powerful and convincing rendering of the story, that I couldn't help but keeping it in the back of my mind when reading other Arthur-renditions and comparing them with it
It is a wonderful wonderful book, VERY well written and I enjoyed it immensely
I don't know how fast a reader you are but if you still have several weeks to go you should easily be able to finish the book! It is so compelling that you will be speeding through in no time (finished it in a day myself but I am a fast reader)

Enjoy, Lady Avalon!!!

------------------
Melusine, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, the LH,
the HADB and the SPAE(Society for the
Prevention of Acronym Extinction) &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 07:30 AM   #3
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Thanks Melusine. Now, I can't wait to get started on it. I should finish the book I'm reading today and then I'm going to read Mists of Avalon.

------------------

Old 07-04-2001, 03:18 AM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, I have read it and agree with Melusine. It may be a long book, but I could not put it down. Very good, characters that grabbed me from the start.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2001, 06:57 PM   #5
AliCat
Drow Warrior

I believe there are three MZB Avalon books, which I've read, and I'm now reading through a short story compilation called Out of Avalon, edited by Jennifer Roberson. That's good too, although not as consistent (I prefer novels to short stories).

MZB is an excellent author. If you are into fantasy/sci fi, it's worth picking up her Darkover series as well.
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 02:49 PM   #6
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Just finished "Mists of Avalon." What an excellent book. Thanks Melusine and Cloudy for getting me going. I loved it, what a terrific story. And coincidentally, the movie comes on tonight. I am going to definitely read more of Marion Zimmer Bradley's books. I am hooked. I loved the writing style and yes, it was very hard to put down. One night, I was reading and my eyes were watering from so much reading and I still had a hard time stopping.

------------------
Old 07-16-2001, 04:03 AM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Is AliCat female also? I can't stand MZB's style, Mists of Avalon (classic my a$$), the darkover novels (howard stern might though, nawww not graphic enough), or a just about any arthur-legend novel.

This just has to be a gender thing - which is to bad for you ladies as there aren't a lot of good female writers out there in this area. If you want emotion in your sf/fantasy w/out the petty char.s then check out some books by Orson Scott Card. If you prefer to have plenty of petty then look at (crap I forgot the name of the writer - fantasy series w/ dragons and sun-wielding mages written by a female), it is a much better book/series than M. of Avalon or any of MBZ'z books (well - that I have read). If you like Yin & Yang (though i'm sure the yang isn't up to the quality of the yin) then check out the Wheel of Time series (my fav.).

For those in the US - ever noticed how most of the so-called new modern classics in HS/C.undergrad english seem to be female oriented (prob. because most of the prof. and teachers in english lit. are female.)

(and I have read a lot of books, more than enough to know when I'm unfairly biased - here I'm only being unfairly biased on the arthur-legend.)
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 09:05 AM   #8
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Anybody see the movie on TNT this past Sunday and Monday? I waited for this movie for months and months and I was extremely disappointed. I guess it is very hard to condense an 876 page book into a 4 hour mini-series, loaded with commercials. I don't think you got a chance to really know the characters in-depth from the tv movie. They even changed some of the story, I guess to fit the time length and I thought it took away from the book. The movie did follow the book, but when pieces are missing, it just doesn't do it in my book.

------------------
Old 07-18-2001, 09:48 AM   #9
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
They even changed some of the story, I guess to fit the time length and I thought it took away from the book. The movie did follow the book, but when pieces are missing, it just doesn't do it in my book.
Yeah, when that happens it loses something. That's why I'm really psyched about the Tolkien movies coming out. I *really* think they did a good job based upon what I'm reading and hearing.
Waluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 01:49 AM   #10
mystic78
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
I guess it is very hard to condense an 876 page book into a 4 hour mini-series, loaded with commercials.
I'm new and just inserting my two cents having read the conversation thus far. I did see MoA and loved it.

I have to agree with you about condensing, though. When NBC made The 10th Kingdom, it was a new idea to go beyond two, rarely three, parts; they did five. I felt like that, or something similar, is what MoA needed to really let it flow. However, two parts with loads of commercials is the norm and that is what TNT did, which I can't fault them for.

I'm just hoping that when the tape/DVD is released it might have some deleted scenes included.

Barbara
mystic78 is offline   Reply With Quote