Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2000, 04:08 PM   #1
Adhrael

Well I´m thinking on a party to play that will consist on:

Elven Cleric (low level) dual-classed to fighter.
Gnome fighter/illusionist.

I was thinking on including a thief or making the second character a thief/illusionist but then I realized: WHY SHOULD I USE THIEVES ?? In IWD, there are only a few places (like the hand) with traps or closed chests, so why waste a character in a guy that won´t do anything ??
Old 10-24-2000, 04:45 PM   #2
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, the only reason I keep a Thief around is to disarm traps, some of which are very dangerous (Dragon's Eye also has a lot of nasty traps), and Backstab. Pick Locks is unnecessary, since any of your Fighters will have the Str to bash them open in IWD. But with a Fighter/Thief, a high-level Backstab can do tons of damage, over 80 damage is not out of the ordinary. I don't think a single-class Thief is worth it, but I'll always bring a multi-class Thief with me.

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2000, 01:50 PM   #3
Khelbin

Actually, there are several places where you'll need a theif. The severed hand, dragon's eye, dorns deep, and lower dorn at the end of the game. Theif/Illusionist is a very good character. He or she will have more hit points than an ordinary mage, and with the right armor, will have a low AC. I think a plain theif is worthless, but the theif/ illusionist is an excellent choice.
Old 10-27-2000, 04:22 PM   #4
Adhrael

I agree with the fighter thief combo...Think of a fighter thief with: (sorry but I have the spanish version so the names won´t be exact)

Ring of thieves (+1str, +1 attack per turn)
Ring of dwarven bone (+1 str)
Fire of Bhaal
Dark armor (+1 str, +1 dxt, ....though it doesn´t work)
Shield of strength (+1 str...)
Boots of the fox (speed, +1 AC)
Girdle of stromnos (str set to 19)
Gauntlets of Kaylessa (+2 dxt, +1 AC...in fact gives 1 to dext)

I had it once and it did some major backstab...
By the way, when I use the girdle of Stromnos and some rings or shield to increase strength, each time I load or enter a new area strenght returns to 19. WHY ??
Old 10-28-2000, 03:58 AM   #5
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

First: you can't Dual class an Elven character: you can only Dual Humans.

Second: definitely take the Fighter/Thief: Stealth is useful as is the Backstab (Quintuple damage on the higher levels - yesterday I did a 98 damage in BG2).

Third: the reason why you are put back to 19 is probably bacause one of your items SETS STR TO 19, and doesn't give you a +1 to STR. Also, what was your base STR? Because if it's below 18, it'll go through all the "sub-STR's" in 18.

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 10-31-2000, 02:44 PM   #6
Adhrael

You´re right Peter and anyway I won´t do the cleric dual to fighter cause I thought he would be able to swing swords and I´ve discovered I´m wrong so I´ve started playing a single fighter in BG1 (I´ve played 3-4 hours and I´ve explored all the south half of the map-I will go now to the bandit camp !!!. Well i should say that the warrior started from level 1 BUT equiped with his final stuff. Do you have any suggestions for a ring for him ?? He has ring+2 but I don´t want the claw of Kazgaroth this time).

Well, sorry !!
Old 10-31-2000, 05:26 PM   #7
Petrarcus ap Bhaal

Well, this should now be on the BG section actually, but I think you should use the RoP +2. You could also use the Cloak of P +2, but I prefer the Cloak of Balduran (can be used with RoP +2). Wear Full Plate mail, the Helm of Glory. The Ring of Free Action would be nice, but you can't use the Boots of Speed then, which sucks. Other Rings are less powerful, like the Ring of Animal Friendship, the Ring of Energy and the Ring of Invisibility. I always use the two Rings of Fire Resistance (80% in total, 100% when used with Helmet of Defense!) for my main Paladin (he wears Plate +3, so no RoP +2). Finally: get Twinkle!

Petrarcus ap Bhaal.
Old 11-07-2000, 07:58 PM   #8
mack attack

Well the only charcter that I use is a Elf(thief) I find this to be one of the best charcters I have since he has a 21 dex and 18 str and -4 ac with the chian mail from the hand. But I am still new to the game. I will try a multi-class thief\fighter to bad it has to be human.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:23 PM   #9
hammer

Elf fighter/thief gets bonuses to bow, longsword, dex, stealth and can see in the dark. Halfling fighter/thief has bonuses for sling, dex, has limited infravision, and pluses for all thieving skills, esp. stealth, which is, in my opinion, the most important. Either of these characters is extemely versatile, tough, able to wear elven chain and still use thief skills, switch to plate when in the thick of combat, able to scout out new areas to prepare the rest of your party for what lies ahead... In many areas, I've found my fighter/thief has managed to clear out most of the rabble by his or herself, or spotted the enemy (in shadow, of course) and let the others just pick 'm off one by one. Either way, a valuable member of any team, either one.