Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #11
Link
Jack Burton

Heya Barry! Been a long time! [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] How are you?
Old 10-07-2003, 08:33 AM   #12
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I just wonder how come actors are widely despised as being namby pamby social apologists that are weak on everything and not in touch with reality - except in the instance that they are running for office for the Republicans? In that instance they suddenly posess relevant commentary and public credentials - at almost every other time they find themselves dismissed by the comment "what would you know anyway - stick to makin films or singing songs you filthy unamerican".

Just seems that there is a double standard in there somewhere - well to me it does. [img]smile.gif[/img]
This could be a separate thread all by itself, Davros, but you bring up a good point. I suppose the main reason actors/actresses are criticized for speaking out publicly on political matters is that it often seems like they are just jumping on the bandwagon of whatever topic is "hot". I don't really have respect for actors/actresses who suddenly have an opinion on a subject because it has become chic to do so. However, I do have respect for those who have actually spent time to learn the different sides of whatever issue they are arguing or supporting.

Example: I disagree a lot with the views of Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins, but I still respect their views because I know they actually spend time learning about the situations they are commenting on rather than just providing sound-byte lip-service. The same goes for Dennis Miller. He can be very sarcastic in his criticism, but he has also done his research before hand. The ones that I dismiss are those like Alec Baldwin who pop off with comments like "If George Bush is elected President, I'll move out of the country" {he didn't} and George Clooney {who decided to make a very insulting and insensitive joke about Charlton Heston developing Alzheimer's because he doesn't like Heston being involved with the NRA}.

As for Ahnold, I also wonder exactly what qualifications he has to be governer and run a state - other than being very popular. Then again, Gray Davis supposedly was "qualified" and he hasn't done that well either (looking from the outside, anyway). Also, Jessie "The Body" Ventura was elected governer of Minnesota a few years back as an Independent. Prior to that, he was best known as a flamboyant pro wrestler. I don't know how good a job did as governer. He had a tremendous amount of public support the first couple of years, but that waned quickly after the first couple of years. Then many of the same people that elected him were making public outcries to get rid of him. In a rather ironic twist, there is a commercial featuring him that pokes fun at the various occupations of the candidates that signed up for the California Recall Race.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:38 AM   #13
Link
Jack Burton

I think people see actors as actors rather than people. We look at Arnold Schwarzenegger, and we see a bodybuilder who has played the Terminator, Conan the Barbarian etc. We look at Robin Williams, and we see a guy who has played a comedian in multiple movies.
When an actor states something politically or socially we see them in yet another role, and that's what I think is the feeling that makes many oppose to Schwarzenegger trying to become governor.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #14
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Heya Barry! Been a long time! [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] How are you?
I'm fine thanks. I've been around for few weeks, just not posting much at present. Hows about yourself?
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 10-07-2003, 08:52 AM   #15
Link
Jack Burton

Yeah I noticed a couple of your posts, but never really realised that you weren't around that much anymore. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm fine, thanks. Little bit busy with rowing and university, but nevertheless I'll survive

I even saw Hiram Sedai around yesterday Talk about ancient relics!

[ 10-07-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 10-07-2003, 09:06 AM   #16
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I know, we're all here... we lie in wait like wolves... waiting... interminably waiting...

I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me there.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I know, we're all here... we lie in wait like wolves... waiting... interminably waiting...

I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me there.
I guess it was the slumbering HADB spirit that just took you over It's still waiting for the opportunity to lure back its fabled leaders Azure and Caleb you know
Old 10-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #18
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

To be honest, I really don't care about Arnold, as long as the entire show stays on the other side of the ocean!!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:24 AM   #19
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

To be honest, I really don't care about Arnold, as long as the entire show stays on the other side of the ocean!!
I second that. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #20
GForce

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
I got this in an e-mail a while back and thought it might be appropriate:

How do you know that you have been in London too long?
I would like to answer with:

... when you see more than two streakers in the same day. [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] I swear it. When I was in London for an American football exhibition (Chicago Bears vs Dallas Cowboys), I saw three streakers that same day. One in the Trafalgar Square, another on a busy intersection, and one during halftime IN the game. What a day.