Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 09:34 AM   #11
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Bah, so many people using WMP! Haven't you heard of all the crap surrounding version 9? Such as sending a list of all DVDs you watch to MS servers? The only sane option is to block it with your firewall but then you disable many features.

1. there is a recent thread about not believing everything you read (I'm not trying to be smart-ass, its just the truth!)
2. who cares? Screw MS! In 2005 they will own half the world! Why? Because they *want to* and there is nothing you can do about it.

To counter MS's upcoming totalitarian reign there are two options:
1) Everyone must boycot usage of MS software products, which will result in collapsing the global economy

or

2) Open source will make an astonishing break-through, forcing MS to co-op with them and giving up their monopoly-position to open up the digital world to every developer out there.

Point 1 is not a valid option and point 2 will not happen, so: MS will take over!
Old 10-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #12
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:
quote:
Bah, so many people using WMP! Haven't you heard of all the crap surrounding version 9? Such as sending a list of all DVDs you watch to MS servers? The only sane option is to block it with your firewall but then you disable many features.

1. there is a recent thread about not believing everything you read (I'm not trying to be smart-ass, its just the truth!)
2. who cares? Screw MS! In 2005 they will own half the world! Why? Because they *want to* and there is nothing you can do about it.

To counter MS's upcoming totalitarian reign there are two options:
1) Everyone must boycot usage of MS software products, which will result in collapsing the global economy

or

2) Open source will make an astonishing break-through, forcing MS to co-op with them and giving up their monopoly-position to open up the digital world to every developer out there.

Point 1 is not a valid option and point 2 will not happen, so: MS will take over!
[/QUOTE]I believe that about WMP 9 because I have experienced it slyly connecting to MS servers when my firewall was off. Also, credible PC magazines have discussed these issues - MS even admits it!

Actually point 1) is valid - in the end the customers do have the veto with their wallets. We can not buy MS products - I can't think of any area in which they have a product for which there is no good alternative. MS's strongest area is obviously the OS and even there there are plenty of options starting from Linux to other platforms like Macs.

2) Open source IS making an astonishing break-through in case you haven't noticed. Linux already has all the features and more than Windows does, the only thing that's lacking is the ease-of-use - once this catches up with Windows, MS will have to rethink their business strategies.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-05-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Yeh but Vaskez you probably had winmp set to connect automatically or something. There is a way to make it not connect at all.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:05 AM   #14
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
Yeh but Vaskez you probably had winmp set to connect automatically or something. There is a way to make it not connect at all.
I don't think MS would allow that. There probably is an option that makes you think it is not connecting at all. The only way to test would be to enable that option then use your firewall to see if it still tries to connect. I can't test it since WMP 9 is never going on this system again
Old 10-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #15
Link
Jack Burton

I use Winamp 3 for mp3 files, and Realplayer for movies (or Divx, whatever program I find first)
Old 10-05-2003, 10:09 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

Winamp 2.9 for MP3, I'll never install winamp 3.
BsPlayer for video. Way better than wmp.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:14 AM   #17
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I had BsPlayer as well, but then my computer got formatted That sure is a great movie watching tool! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #18
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Finally a sensible person! Although it is a bit wierd saying that about Willow [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-05-2003, 10:16 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
I had BsPlayer as well, but then my computer got formatted That sure is a great movie watching tool! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]So, err, why don't you just download it again? Failing that either me or Willow could send it to you since IIRC it's less than a MB. Am also wondering how your computer "got formatted". You mean you formatted it and forgot to back your apps up? Or some other evil person reformatted your HD without your consent?

[ 10-05-2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Old 10-05-2003, 01:05 PM   #20
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Finally a sensible person! Although it is a bit wierd saying that about Willow [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Thanks sweety. [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img] But you get a [img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img] anyway. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Link, BsPlayer is free and can be downloaded here. I also like MV2player since it allows two subtitles. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also have PowerDVD which came with my DVD player. Never watch DVDs on my computer though.