Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #21
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
The 5th Age stuff (IIRC) was the post-Dragons of Summer Flame, right? Well, as the gods got sorta reworked in that novel, the setting became VERY different. Plus, TSR tried to do the game as sort of roleplay-intensive live-action type rules system. I don't think it worked. And, it certainly died quickly. Weiss and Hickman, IMHO, truly ended any meaningful stories of Krynn as we knew and loved it - which was fine by me. Closure is okay sometimes, y'know.
yeah, 5th age was the age of mortals, gods were gone, dragons were monstrously huge and more overpowered than before, and magic was all messed up, I haven't seen the rules for that part, but have heard about what happened in the books
Old 11-27-2002, 12:54 PM   #22
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

It doesn't belong in another forum, his original question is about dragonlance games, you all derailed it into a conversation about books. In answer to your question there is no games out there set in the DL realm since the ones in the 80's. Those are pretty cheesy anymore with stuff like BG2 out there, but if you like the setting you might like the games.
as for the books DL chronicles was one of the best fantasy series ever written IMHO. I put it put there with LOTR, probably even higher. NO FR books have that distinction.

[ 11-27-2002, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe ]
Old 11-27-2002, 03:27 PM   #23
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartless Butterscotch:
Yeah, the 80's DragonLance "Chronicles" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman are still among the best fantasy books, imo.

IMO too. I read exile from the Drizzt forgotten realms series and started in the Maztica Trilogy which I couldn't read farther than page 50 because I think it's boring. I read Dragonlance "chronicles" in less than a week and it never became boring. The characters are much more alive and true to their race and personality (and they're acting like that like Tass' "collecting" things and such) and i like that. Each Dragonlance character has more personality in a few pages in which he/she is introduced than most charaters in a whole Forgotten Realms novel. Dragonlance But I read little novels so it could be different in others
Old 11-27-2002, 03:41 PM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I picked up Sea of Swords by Salvatore, and it SUCKS. The gnome illusionist deserves to die - twice. And, I'll reiterate, if you ever have to write "he gave him a deadpan look" to convey a deadpan look, do us all a favor and throw yourself off the nearest bridge.

I'm still trying to give this book away if anyone wants it. It's dry now, but still smells bad because I peed on it.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:16 PM   #25
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

"This is not a book to be laid aside lightly. This a book to be thrown against a wall with great force." - Dorothy Parker
Old 11-27-2002, 11:46 PM   #26
DameonRules
Manshoon

since we are all on books some of the best series that i have read have been Wheel of Time by Jordan and the Rift war series by Fiest both of those series rocked i could read them over and over again. I fell asleep reading the dl series.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:01 AM   #27
norompanlasolas

hey, could somebody answer me a question? ive read a few dragonlance books but there are so many of them i cant remember which (plus, they are in argentina now). so itd be cheaper and faster to buy them again here in spain.

so which ones should i buy??? i want to read from the start, so that would be what... the chronicles, legends? explanations please... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2002, 08:29 AM   #28
Heartless Butterscotch
The Magister

I'm pretty sure it starts with the Chronicles in "Dragons of Autumn Twilight."

I'd list them all in order, but within the first few pages of each book there should be a series index.

HTH
Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 AM   #29
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:

so which ones should i buy??? i want to read from the start, so that would be what... the chronicles, legends? explanations please... [img]smile.gif[/img]
it starts with chronicles: dragons of autumn twilight, dragons of winter night, dragons of spring dawning and continues in dl legends at least that's what the prologue said
Old 11-28-2002, 11:31 AM   #30
norompanlasolas

yeah, but what about the books about raistlin, flint, tas, etc... i read those i think (the one where they meet in the tavern, and end up crossing a river and finding silvermoon, etc). i think its the first of three but im not so sure. which one is it? anybody knows the complete volumes/names?