Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2002, 02:45 PM   #11
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Along the sam vein [img]smile.gif[/img] China is blocking Google [img]smile.gif[/img] It's citizens get redirected to a "State Approved" search engine. Im not sure but I think it was mentioned that this was done in such a way that most users would not even know it.
LOL I heard it was called:

The Great Firewall of China!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:49 PM   #12
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Nachtrafe!!

Was that in Bonner's Ferry? Or close to it? I think i happened to be there when that event happened.. Around the same time i think a car flipped over on the highway and Montel Williams (the talk show host) saved someone(s) from the wreck!!

[ 10-25-2002, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 10-25-2002, 03:12 PM   #13
Lord Shield

we have our ISPs bannign sites, particularly illegal ones. but that's because, if a user can GET to such a site, the ISP can be brought to court for it (at least in the UK anyway)

Old 10-25-2002, 03:12 PM   #14
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Nachtrafe!!

Was that in Bonner's Ferry? Or close to it? I think i happened to be there when that event happened.. Around the same time i think a car flipped over on the highway and Montel Williams (the talk show host) saved someone(s) from the wreck!!
Sort of. Farther north actually. The compound was very near the Canadian border(draw your own conclusions about that). And yep, that was about the same time as the Montel Williams story. In fact, the Montel Willams story practically buried the other one. Which pretty much made it fiat accompli for the people getting the supremicists shut down. By the time anyone knew what was going on, it was over.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 10-25-2002, 03:14 PM   #15
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
I agree with your view point Nacht. but you can't expect a group with extreme views to be treated fairly and with the same rules that some groups expect to be treated with.....ummm Im not sure why though.
LOL...Neither am I. Apparently Free Speech is only good if it's endorsed by a movie star, a pop singer, or liberal politician.

Yep...I'm sure what the founding fathers really meant to say was "ALL MEN(except those that the PC police dont like) ARE CREATED EQUAL.

Old 10-25-2002, 03:20 PM   #16
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
quote:
I agree with your view point Nacht. but you can't expect a group with extreme views to be treated fairly and with the same rules that some groups expect to be treated with.....ummm Im not sure why though.
LOL...Neither am I. Apparently Free Speech is only good if it's endorsed by a movie star, a pop singer, or liberal politician.

Yep...I'm sure what the founding fathers really meant to say was "ALL MEN(except those that the PC police dont like) ARE CREATED EQUAL.
[/QUOTE]well uunfortunnately these things have owners and they can make the rules they like for their own systems, damn it

i would have thought such sites would be good for research for debates on such issues, or history even

how can a person get the full story on such things if he doesn't understand why BOTH sides do what they do?

Old 10-25-2002, 03:25 PM   #17
Djinn Raffo
Ra

[quote]Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Quote:
The compound was very near the Canadian border(draw your own conclusions about that).
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Or why anyone would have to draw conclusions about that. I draw absolutly no conclusions from that other than: That the compound was close to the Canadian border! Just like Bonner's Ferry. Just like Bellingham, just like Detroit and Buffalo and just like Vermont.

But Bonner's Ferry was a cool little town i thought and so was Sandspit i think just to the south of there. Nice places.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:25 PM   #18
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
well uunfortunnately these things have owners and they can make the rules they like for their own systems, damn it

i would have thought such sites would be good for research for debates on such issues, or history even

how can a person get the full story on such things if he doesn't understand why BOTH sides do what they do?
Yeah, I know. And the owners have to follow the law. It's just frustrating sometimes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I fully agree with your last point BTW. I mean, look in a modern history book. They dont even talk about the bloody Holocaust! It happened! It's a FACT! It's HISTORY!! Get over this over-sensetive, whiny, protect-people-from-their-own-shadow, big-brother-knows-best-mentality! Big Brother DOES NOT KNOW BEST.

*PANT* *PANT*....Hmmmm...guess I'm in more of a [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] mood than I thought. Sorry y'all. I think I'm off to go hunt gobbler or something else cheerful.

Nacht

Old 10-25-2002, 03:28 PM   #19
Lord Shield

hey, Nachty, switch to decaf and snog Cloudy - Doctor's orders

Old 10-25-2002, 03:29 PM   #20
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
Originally posted by Nachtrafe:
Quote:
The compound was very near the Canadian border(draw your own conclusions about that).
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Or why anyone would have to draw conclusions about that. I draw absolutly no conclusions from that other than: That the compound was close to the Canadian border! Just like Bonner's Ferry. Just like Bellingham, just like Detroit and Buffalo and just like Vermont.

But Bonner's Ferry was a cool little town i thought and so was Sandspit i think just to the south of there. Nice places.
LOLOL...Sorry Djinn. I guess I was being too oblique. One of the purported reasons that the compound was near the Canadian border was that it was easier for them to be able to smuggle in illegal weapons. And it also allowed them a quick International getaway. [img]smile.gif[/img]