Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 01:21 PM   #21
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
That's not a slam against your post or anything though. It's just an observation on the original story. Personally, I rarely look at those "I can't go on any longer" threads.

That moderator saved a life because she went out of her way to do the right thing.
no worries - i know you weren't slamming, just clarifying your points [img]smile.gif[/img]

yes, that moderator saved a life. However, did she react like this to every such thread she saw? if so, how many times had the policec been called out for a hoax?

I'm not claiming she did the wrong thing by any means. She saved a life and I certainly cannot say someone caring too much is silly. I have the utmost respect for people that can care that much for "faceless" people as it is something i find difficult to do myself [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 01:28 PM   #22
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I guess, as a 911 operator, I have just resigned myself to treating every call for help like it's the real deal. It's been burned into my brain since I started this job. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You'd be surprised to know how many false calls like this police, fire, and rescue workers respond to daily. It can be a huge waste of resources, but they just can't take the chance, even when they know it's 99.99% a bogus call.

The key word I should mention here is liability.
Old 10-04-2002, 01:33 PM   #23
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Of course, no member has any real responsibility to act or even respond to a thread like that.

The point I was making is that statistically, most people who threaten to commit suicide are doing just that, threatening and nothing more. But if you decide to pick and choose which ones are real, you'll eventually be wrong. Sometimes it's the ones you're sure are faking who just raked a razor blade up and down their wrists or ate a whole bottle of pills.

Do you have to take everyone of those posts you see seriously or at all? No, and that wasn't what I posted. My post was to point out that no one can judge who's hoaxing and who's not.
I agree.
Another point... Ronn is absolutely correct that people who actually in all seriousness plan to kill themselves rarely if ever tell anybody about it. You only find out that they were suicidal after they did it (I'm sad to say I'm speaking from experience).
So yes, that does mean that most people who post such threads will not end up actually killing themselves - though they may very well make an "attempt".
But that does not in any way mean that they are not to be taken serious.
It is a sincere cry for help nonetheless - a way of letting the world know how desperate you are and how desperately you need help. They may not TRULY want to die, at that point in time they don't know how to live either.
Now if some members here have the time, patience and empathy to write them a few words of encouragement, even if it's only "attentionseeking", then I can only commend and respect them for it. But I don't blame other members for not being able to empathise quite so easily. People are just different and react differently to these things...
Old 10-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #24
Lord Shield

well, last time i saw one like that i think i did suggfest they talk with their family or someone professional

To be honest, I would hope the members here wouldn't let their problems get that far [img]smile.gif[/img] . If you need a supproting comment, there have been posts about asking for such (the "Respect" thread for instance)

Others have posted their problems in the cafe

i think discussing the problems before they become too BIG a problem is a better bet to be honest [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 01:40 PM   #25
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I quite agree that you cannot assume any suicide threat is automatically bogus. They taught us in medicl school that every successful suicide tells at least three people about their feelings. We are taught, like Ronn, that every threat is to be taken seriously. But, that said, what is the liklihood that a complete newbie would come on this forum and broadcast his/her feelings about such an important topic? I would think more seriously of a post by someone that I had at the very least seen around a bit.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:09 PM   #26
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I guess, as a 911 operator, I have just resigned myself to treating every call for help like it's the real deal. It's been burned into my brain since I started this job. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You'd be surprised to know how many false calls like this police, fire, and rescue workers respond to daily. It can be a huge waste of resources, but they just can't take the chance, even when they know it's 99.99% a bogus call.

The key word I should mention here is liability.
The legal crap:
1. There is no duty to rescue in almost every state in the US (Vermont being a notable exception). Legally, if you see someone drowning you have no responsibility to save them. Your responsibilities, as a rule, end a "don't hurt others."

2. In most states, if you do begin a rescue (e.g. jump in the pool), you then *assume* a duty to rescue. The thinking is once you've begun your rescue you have prevented other possible rescues. So, once begun, a rescue must be carried out.

3. You are sometimes liable for the harm you may cause while undertaking a rescue (e.g. you crack the guy's skull pulling him out of the pool).

And, no, AFAIK I don't represent anyone on this site. It doesn't take a genius, though, to put together the above statements and realize that there can be legal implications to how people on this site deal with such issues.

I really take umbrage with suicide threats and/or talk. This kid was different, because he was committed and in the (*botched*) act of doing it. Though, I'd have to suspect that someone eating a bottle of pills is looking for attention more than they are actually trying to kill themselves. Everyone I've known who did the pill bit ended up with a stomach pump and a crappy two-day hospital stay.

I get fed up with it really fast. I just recently had to address this issue with a teenage family member. It took so much restraint not to simply advise her that if she was going to attempt suicide at least do it right. I hate losers. If you're serious, you'll get it right. Remember - serious people cut their wrists up and down, not across.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:12 PM   #27
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

dude, thats a painful death I do not want... maybe I will just starve myself to death to painless gas, IF I do that...

[ 10-04-2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: 250 ]
Old 10-04-2002, 03:28 PM   #28
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

[B]3. You are sometimes liable for the harm you may cause while undertaking a rescue (e.g. you crack the guy's skull pulling him out of the pool)./b]

The Good Samaritan Rule applies in situations to protect people who, in good faith, try to render aid to the best of their ability in an emergency situation.

The liability issue I mentioned earlier was in regard to the "bogus" calls run by fire, rescue, and police. They have to assume all calls are real because they have a duty to act.

Posters in a forum don't have that same duty, but in our litigeous society I would be surprised if moderators might not be the subject of lawsuits under similar circumstances. I'm not saying they'd be right or that they would win, but it's something to consider.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:40 PM   #29
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
[b]3. You are sometimes liable for the harm you may cause while undertaking a rescue (e.g. you crack the guy's skull pulling him out of the pool)./b]

The Good Samaritan Rule applies in situations to protect people who, in good faith, try to render aid to the best of their ability in an emergency situation.
Yep, quite true. But, the rule is sometimes not enough of a shield for the samaritan.

And, yes, regarding the 911 operators and rescue folks as well.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:33 PM   #30
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

As someone who has been involved in a similar situation, all I would say is that I am extremely glad that I took the post seriously.

What it boils down to imho is that if you feel you can be supportive or offer good advice then go ahead and offer that advice or support. If you think what you are reading is some form of flamebaiting/trolling ignore it and move on.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)