Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2002, 12:41 PM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I feel that if you think a person is crying wolf, then just ignore him/her instead of making snide remarks because you might never know. Better safe then guilt for eternity.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:42 PM   #12
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

suicide in itself is a message that waiting to be expressed. without its body, suicide is a broad idea that we do not have places to start with. sometimes suicide is a self manisfestion of the messge being expressed, or being supressed. first give it a body, exam the circumstances in which it occures or threatens to, then follow the clues and dig into its roots and unravel its myth. then from there, gold might be found.

it is only expected to have variety of repondes from the members here. because we all come from different walks of life. thus while yorick would be on the "judging" side, Melusine might offer salvation. all has its validation, each of the responde in turn has its own body to look into, etc etc.

[ 10-04-2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: 250 ]
Old 10-04-2002, 12:44 PM   #13
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Personally, I feel that if you think a person is crying wolf, then just ignore him/her instead of making snide remarks because you might never know. Better safe then guilt for eternity.
Oh I quite agree. I am not callous. I would not tell someone posting that to jump off a cliff or whatever. I would just ignore them unless i knew for sure they were serious

Old 10-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Sorry, Mel, I usually agree with you on serious stuff, but not today.
Someone seriously considering suicide may feel more comfortable with a TRAINED PROFFESIONAL. It may even help that this person is a stranger; you could tell them anything without feeling embarrassed.
I think it would be very important to speak with a proffesional, and not to someone here. A random post may affect someone's life
Then guide him/her to professional help. Remember, they seek aid( assuming a genuine case) and comfort, so reassure the fella and put him/her on the right track. You need not take the sole responsibility of turning his/her life around, but as I, the lady in the article and several others I know, have done, we helped in the best way we could.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
Sorry, Mel, I usually agree with you on serious stuff, but not today.
Someone seriously considering suicide may feel more comfortable with a TRAINED PROFFESIONAL. It may even help that this person is a stranger; you could tell them anything without feeling embarrassed.
I think it would be very important to speak with a proffesional, and not to someone here. A random post may affect someone's life
Um, that's not what I said at all. I didn't say what I think is the BEST way, just what I think a suicidal person is most LIKELY to do. And I think that it is often the case that they go to a friend sooner than to a professional. So yeah I agree a professional is a. better equipped to deal with the problem and b. more likely to be able to help than that person's friends in most cases, but that doesn't mean that his/her friends should DENY help because of it.

Dundee said it all:
Old 10-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

The majority of suicide threats are cries for help, but this is a good example that all of them have to be taken seriously.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:54 PM   #17
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Lol, sorry Mel, I really do need to stop skimming posts. Or maybe just avoid serious ones altogether [img]tongue.gif[/img] I only make myself look all the more stupid
Old 10-04-2002, 12:56 PM   #18
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
The majority of suicide threats are cries for help, but this is a good example that all of them have to be taken seriously.
yes and no. who by? the members? the moderators?

i have seen lots of "suicide" threads which were just attention seekers wanting people to tell them they were loved or something. People that believe these lies get upset and for what? because of a drama queen?

sorry, but I disagree. If I don't personally have good reason to believe it, I won't. I won't make snide remarks, however

Old 10-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #19
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i can't agree or disagree with either opinion of whether it's more comfy to go to afriend or someone anonymous, but i do think coming to people online is both. you know them, their name, maybe their picture. you enjoy talking to them, sending jokes back and forth, listening to eachothers woes. this interaction even on the internet create's caring in some people. so someone crying out for help can come on here, faceless to most, care for by others, and cry out. those that care will reveal themselves, and the faceless ones that empathize, sympathize, or just plain want to help reply with hope. the faceless and even "caring" ones that reply without hope just show that person they're not being listened to, which is all they're asking for. i ask that if you see a message on this or anyother forum and you do not wish to offer hope or a listening ear, walk away without replying. as someone who goes through depression on and off i ask that you not make fun of them, or encourage them. it's is serious at all times. we're faceless to eachother, we can't tell a hoax. and even when we do see our faces it should never be treated as a hoax. even one f those is a cry for help. thank you for listening to me.....
Old 10-04-2002, 01:16 PM   #20
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
yes and no. who by? the members? the moderators?

i have seen lots of "suicide" threads which were just attention seekers wanting people to tell them they were loved or something. People that believe these lies get upset and for what? because of a drama queen?

sorry, but I disagree. If I don't personally have good reason to believe it, I won't. I won't make snide remarks, however
Of course, no member has any real responsibility to act or even respond to a thread like that.

The point I was making is that statistically, most people who threaten to commit suicide are doing just that, threatening and nothing more. But if you decide to pick and choose which ones are real, you'll eventually be wrong. Sometimes it's the ones you're sure are faking who just raked a razor blade up and down their wrists or ate a whole bottle of pills.

Do you have to take everyone of those posts you see seriously or at all? No, and that wasn't what I posted. My post was to point out that no one can judge who's hoaxing and who's not.

That's not a slam against your post or anything though. It's just an observation on the original story. Personally, I rarely look at those "I can't go on any longer" threads.

That moderator saved a life because she went out of her way to do the right thing.