Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #31
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I know what you mean about the developers. The problem isn't as much that they don't charge enough money. The distribution of profits is skewed. The distributors and stockholders are getting so much of the profit that there isn't enough to keep the company going. Stockholders are a fickle lot these days too. Once they start selling off your stock, it's a snowball effect.
Now don't go dissing the stock holders, the reason there are stock holders is because you needed money to produce something, so these people bought into your company with their money thus allowing you to use that money to produce your product. It is fair for the stock holders to expect returns on their investments.

It is not like they are taking something unexpected or unfair, all the terms were set out up front..

Ziroc has a point about $50 for crappy games...which should teach us all NOT to buy untill the final product has been reviewed by reputable gaming mags, or web sites.! LEARN THE LESSON [img]smile.gif[/img] I know I bought M&M IX the first dayit was out....big big big mistake...wait for the reviews!

It could be argued that we get stuck with crappy games due to our greedy desire to have it NOW instead of waiting to make sure its worth having.
[/QUOTE]

Old 07-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #32
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
But still, if you are going to up the price, give us a manual..
Im all for that. One way of reducing piracy which might actually work is to put stuff in the box besides the game. Maybe a cheap mass-produced poster availiable only through buying the game, tiny miniatures or simply a manual which has seen some work.

Way back when the second Discworld game ever came out (called Discworld ) I bought it, and I recall finding cast figures of Rincewind and Death in the box. The manual had a lot of humour in it as well, much like the one which came with Discworld 2 only better. And unless I'm terribly mistaken, noone even thought of piracy back then
[/QUOTE] Naaa there were pirates right from the beginning, I know I used to hack the protection just for the challenge of trying to see if it could be done....lots of drive speed modding and stuff [img]smile.gif[/img] the good old days of the Apple II, the Original Ultima and Wizardry sold in in plastic baggies...piracy is nothing new.

Old 07-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #33
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
New World deserves to go down the tubes after the crap they putout recently called M&M..whatten? and Heroes 4 both are crap and obviously not debugged or finished..
What the hell are you talking about Magik?? I have played Homm 4 troug and i have not find any "bugs" in that one and M&M 9 is and ARE a little buggy but it is a great game i like it wery mutch!
And you say you LOVE M&M 1-2-3-4-5 and you say that New World deserves to go down the tubes because YOU DONT like some of they latest games what a bullshit to say about a company that have entertained you with those great games you say you love! And New World Computing is still a company like Westwood that are under EA and NWC they are under 3do! if you look at the gameboxes you se the New World Computing logo.

Quote:
I don't mind paying $50 for GOOD games, but the 'overall' prices for even crappy games is now $49.99 now..

Hell, I would pay $90 for Thief 3!! I agree, Looking Glass was my #1 favorite Game company of all time (Even when they were Blue Sky).

It's the smaller companies that get killed. and those are usually the ones that make the best games.

But still, if you are going to up the price, give us a manual..
Yeah Ziroc you and me KNOWE what type of games that we like to play so we dont waist money on "crappy games" you knove and I will also pay $90 for Thief 3 or maby $150 to because this is the serie of games i LOVE over all games in the world so even Wizardry 8 or Morrowind can`t come up with that game serie i am sure about that!

Quote:
Looking Glass was my #1 favorite Game company of all time (Even when they were Blue Sky).
It was my #1 favorite Game company of all time to when they maked Ultima Underworld #1 the name of LG was Blue Sky then and most of the developers moved over to LG so it was a great time back then when real RPG`s was created! lol!!

[ 07-03-2002, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-04-2002, 12:16 AM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Ok, I don't know about you, but it's getting pretty sad when the average cost of a PC Game is now $50 (USA).

Remember when they were $39.99? Not anymore...

And what REALLY pisses me off, is back when games were shipped on Floppy disks and CD's came along, the game makers said that it would be cheaper. Didn't happen.

Now? Now we get these mini doodle boxes that barely fit the CD Jewel case; that is, if they GIVE you a Jewel case.

They also said that these new smaller Game boxes would lower costs, yet I keep seeing the exact reverse. we've gone from 39.99 to 49.99 or even 59.99 (For Warcraft III). Give me a break. When a game starts costing the same as a piece of hardware, it's time to start getting mad..

Here is the current trend:

Give you less=pay more
Smaller box. lame (or not even) Manual/Book
CD with no Jewel case (Paper sleeves?!?!)
Nothing extra at all.

So how do you feel? what is YOUR price limit when it comes to Games?

Now, for me, a game like Neverwinter Nights is worth the $52.99, since it's such a HUGE game with an awesome editor, but have you seen the trends? does it anger you at all? will it ever stop?

Do you think Piracy is the #1. reason the prices are going higher and higher or is it just greed?

Comments?
I have noticed this trend! Oh and MY NWN cost me $54!

I really was shocked to see the prices going up like that! Kinda makes you want to wait til the games are old and in the 'cheap' bins. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'd suspect piracy is one reason for the higher prices. I can't imagine cost of production is up that much more.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:56 AM   #35
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, I REALLY agree about the paper sleeves. How much could jewelboxes cost, anyhow? Like the Z-man said, I would have paid MORE for NWN! I actually paid extra to have it shipped to me overnight, and then spent $200 to upgrade my PC to make it work. But, that's NWN, 2 years in production and great. (good manual, too, BTW). I would have done similarly for SoA, but I thought ToB was a ripoff, rotten manual, 1 CD, and the game, what a letdown.
BTW, I read on the Bioware website that Bioware shipped ONE MILLION copies of NWN to stores. I don't think that Bioware is gonna go under any time soon, piracy or no.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:24 AM   #36
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Personally I would gladly pay a higher price for a game that wouldn´t need tons of patches, newest drivers to work etc etc etc... whine rant whine..

I think that the PC game industry has been peaking at the console buisness where the games actually are more expansive, and they get away with it. Sure piracy increase when costs increase, but cost increase as piracy increase. It´s a dead circle leading to no good..

Hopefully ONE company dares to break the current flow and makes a good game to a fait price, and people will buy that game legally.. Utopia anyone??

*sigh* Well fortunatley I got NWN for a lower price since the last delay made alot of people pretty pissed, so I saved almost 20%. Had I bought it today instead.. full price.. :S

Don´t eat the yellow snow