Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 01:03 PM   #21
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Now, now people....Mac games haven't really changed all that much! Baldurs Gate 2 was $39.99 for me (Canadian $$$) and it is well worth it! My latest game, Driver was 29.99! I even saw a game at the Mac Store I shop at for 19.99, and we got it, and it is a very well made game. Microsoft(Bill Gates to be persice) overprises games and so do many other game making companies, but not MacPlay or other mac game makers! *The lesson of the day is....Macs are cheaper and better for graphics stuff!*
Old 07-02-2002, 01:23 PM   #22
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Written by Megabotdon`t want to loose any more great game companyes! We have lost Sir-Tech, Looking Glass, maby soon also New World Computing because they dont earn money for the games the make so i think the prize should be around $50- 60 for greate games like Morrowind, NWN, Wizardry 8 and so on!
So who decides which games are great and which are not? The first 1000 game are sold for $40 and then those 1000 people decide that this particular game is good and should therefore cost $50? what if you buy that game and think it sucks? Happened to me when I bough MMIX. Paid a lot for the worst game I ever played! I got bored after 10 minutes. So if now say 500 of those 100 people enjoyed that game I ought to have been ripped of even more?
Old 07-02-2002, 01:24 PM   #23
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
I think it is about TIME some of those game companyes "make some profitt" for the games they make. I give a damn abouth the gamebox how it looks like if only the game is wery great and i also like the game manual to be nice and have lot of information about the game!

I don`t want to loose any more great game companyes! We have lost Sir-Tech, Looking Glass, maby soon also New World Computing because they dont earn money for the games the make so i think the prize should be around $50- 60 for greate games like Morrowind, NWN, Wizardry 8 and so on!
What would you say if Bioware, Blizzard, Westwood and Ionstorm close the door because that they dont make any profitt of the games the make?
And all things get more expensive to, like advertising, salery to the guys that working with the games and make them and so on
I know what you mean about the developers. The problem isn't as much that they don't charge enough money. The distribution of profits is skewed. The distributors and stockholders are getting so much of the profit that there isn't enough to keep the company going. Stockholders are a fickle lot these days too. Once they start selling off your stock, it's a snowball effect.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:30 PM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
I think it is about TIME some of those game companyes "make some profitt" for the games they make. I give a damn abouth the gamebox how it looks like if only the game is wery great and i also like the game manual to be nice and have lot of information about the game!

I don`t want to loose any more great game companyes! We have lost Sir-Tech, Looking Glass, maby soon also New World Computing because they dont earn money for the games the make so i think the prize should be around $50- 60 for greate games like Morrowind, NWN, Wizardry 8 and so on!
What would you say if Bioware, Blizzard, Westwood and Ionstorm close the door because that they dont make any profitt of the games the make?
And all things get more expensive to, like advertising, salery to the guys that working with the games and make them and so on
I don't mind paying $50 for GOOD games, but the 'overall' prices for even crappy games is now $49.99 now..

Hell, I would pay $90 for Thief 3!! I agree, Looking Glass was my #1 favorite Game company of all time (Even when they were Blue Sky).

It's the smaller companies that get killed. and those are usually the ones that make the best games.

But still, if you are going to up the price, give us a manual..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 07-02-2002, 02:45 PM   #25
Legolas
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Im all for that. One way of reducing piracy which might actually work is to put stuff in the box besides the game. Maybe a cheap mass-produced poster availiable only through buying the game, tiny miniatures or simply a manual which has seen some work.

Way back when the second Discworld game ever came out (called Discworld ) I bought it, and I recall finding cast figures of Rincewind and Death in the box. The manual had a lot of humour in it as well, much like the one which came with Discworld 2 only better. And unless I'm terribly mistaken, noone even thought of piracy back then
Old 07-02-2002, 03:07 PM   #26
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
I don't mind paying $50 for GOOD games, but the 'overall' prices for even crappy games is now $49.99 now..

Hell, I would pay $90 for Thief 3!! I agree, Looking Glass was my #1 favorite Game company of all time (Even when they were Blue Sky).

It's the smaller companies that get killed. and those are usually the ones that make the best games.

They make the better games because they spend all of their people and resources creating a game that took much more man work than most games made by big companies like EA or MacPlay. Also, the larger companies tend to create multiple games at once which brings in the more money. And us people usually only buy games made by companies we know of because we think that the smaller companies make worse games.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:11 PM   #27
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
If it's a graphic piece of art like NWN or Il 2 Sturmovik, i don't mind paying a little extra !
Old 07-03-2002, 03:37 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
New World deserves to go down the tubes after the crap they putout recently called M&M..whatten? and Heroes 4 both are crap and obviously not debugged or finished..
What you forget is that NWC is now 3DO. When it was New World Computing it produced marvellous stuff, wonderful games, really cool things.

Then when it became part of 3DO it began sucking, badly.
[/QUOTE] I know! I loved M&M 1,2,3,4&5 after that they started sucking, Heroe's 1,2 and 3 were outstanding works...4 pretty well bites

Old 07-03-2002, 03:41 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
Written by Megabotdon`t want to loose any more great game companyes! We have lost Sir-Tech, Looking Glass, maby soon also New World Computing because they dont earn money for the games the make so i think the prize should be around $50- 60 for greate games like Morrowind, NWN, Wizardry 8 and so on!
So who decides which games are great and which are not? The first 1000 game are sold for $40 and then those 1000 people decide that this particular game is good and should therefore cost $50? what if you buy that game and think it sucks? Happened to me when I bough MMIX. Paid a lot for the worst game I ever played! I got bored after 10 minutes. So if now say 500 of those 100 people enjoyed that game I ought to have been ripped of even more?[/QUOTE] I don't think anyone liked M&M IX, it was a totaly lame game right up there with Ultima IX Maybe its just the deignation IX? Earlier versions of the game up to #5 were not bad at all.

Old 07-03-2002, 03:47 PM   #30
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
I know what you mean about the developers. The problem isn't as much that they don't charge enough money. The distribution of profits is skewed. The distributors and stockholders are getting so much of the profit that there isn't enough to keep the company going. Stockholders are a fickle lot these days too. Once they start selling off your stock, it's a snowball effect.
Now don't go dissing the stock holders, the reason there are stock holders is because you needed money to produce something, so these people bought into your company with their money thus allowing you to use that money to produce your product. It is fair for the stock holders to expect returns on their investments.

It is not like they are taking something unexpected or unfair, all the terms were set out up front..

Ziroc has a point about $50 for crappy games...which should teach us all NOT to buy untill the final product has been reviewed by reputable gaming mags, or web sites.! LEARN THE LESSON [img]smile.gif[/img] I know I bought M&M IX the first dayit was out....big big big mistake...wait for the reviews!