Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2002, 05:10 PM   #11
andrewas
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:

It Was In 3D... Well... Sort Of... In Its 3D-ish 2D Kind Of Way...

Nope, that was Wolfenstein 3d (The very first FPS of all time, the game which showed the way towards doom. CARMACK IS GOD!!

Sorry, back on topic:

Castle Wolfenstein was a 2d platformer thats so old I havent played it. But I will. Ill have a look on underdogs next time i have a few hours free time.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:13 PM   #12
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Ahhh, I Never Knew That! I've Played Wolfenstien 3D! It's Actually Fairly Addictive!! I Downloaded It Off The Internet!!
Old 02-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #13
andrewas
Harper

quote:
Ahhh, I Never Knew That! I've Played Wolfenstien 3D! It's Actually Fairly Addictive!! I Downloaded It Off The Internet!!

Ive completed this game so many times its unreal. it dosent have the pace of doom though, and the weapons are too samey (knife, pistol ,machine gun, better machine gun).

The problem with remaking games in genral though is that its usualy done by a bunch of incompetents. look at asteroids. its rare to see a well-done remake, although battlezone and RTCW are examples of very good games.
Old 02-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #14
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

What's RTCW???
Old 02-11-2002, 05:38 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
What's RTCW???

Return To Castle Wolfenstein
Old 02-11-2002, 05:53 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

"Mein Namen" - I still don't know why they hollared that all the time... doesn't it just mean "My Name"? Or maybe I just misunderstood what they were saying?

Wolfenstein was the precursor, Doom and Doom II, and Quake were the Mastepieces. They were as revolutionary as a game software can get. They broke ground in so many areas, each building on the one before. Quite an achievement for the guys from ID

-First Person 3d shooters
-A player control scheme that was intuitive and incredibly fast... remember all those games where you had to move an icon on the screen and click to move... they were HORRIBLE.
-Multiplayer support that was actually USABLE, and made the game infinitely replayable.
-Support for FREE internet gaming. The "Pay for Play" sites were doomed to death unless they could add true value to the products they supported... thank ID for that. After I played Quake I took great delight in emailing several of those sites to tell them just how much I was going to enjoy watching their greedy self serving a$$es disappear. And ohhhh I did enjoy it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-User Mods- Allowing Users to build maps and create your own worlds was pure genius. One of the best mods I've ever played was the origonal ThreeWave CTF levels for Quake... I havn't played them for years but I could still draw out maps of every level from memory.
-Support for 3d cards- ID software made a lot of money for 3dfx...
Old 02-11-2002, 06:23 PM   #17
Thoran
Galvatron

Ultima V is being remade using the Dungeonsiege engine... http://www.dungeonsiege.com/index.shtml

If these guys really release this product in April like they're saying at they might very well steal a lot of the NWN thunder. In this game market you just can't afford to blow months in litigation and expect to hold on to the "cutting edge" technology image. NWN is probably going to be an "also ran" by the time it comes out... too bad.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:44 AM   #18
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, the guards in Wolfenstein said "Mein Leben" -- "my life". It was kind of a dumb thing to say, but the game was still amazing.

I don't know if remakes could capture the magic of games from 20 years ago. Fact is, a lot of older games would pale in comparison to what we have nowadays, but back then we were happy to have them! I spent many happy hours playing the original Ultima, but when I played it last year as part of The Ultima Collection, it just wasn't the same. It's being remade with a full-3D engine, but I suspect that the remake (however well it may turn out) will bear little resemblance to the original.

That said, I'd like to see remakes of the Ultima Underworld games--they were simply amazing--and the Starflight series. Well, they're actually working on Starflight 3 (http://www.starflight3.com) and there are a number of other fan-built Starflights in the works. Life is good.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:47 AM   #19
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Warcraft II baby... and it's being remade! The only problem is that they didn't see fit to include me in the beta. Oh well...
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 02-12-2002, 01:56 AM   #20
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

no one wishes to remaked master of orion?? i thought that was a good game before.. and im actually playing it once in a while..

Catch me if you can..