Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
Target
Red Dragon

Hi,

Can you help? I've tried to stat the OC a few times but just not happy with my Druid attempts. So I want to try a broadsword wilding Paladin, can I have some help on what to put my points into, and feats to choose etc.

Cheers

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
ScottG
Drow Warrior

at lower levels lower hit dice characters can be difficult and even at higher levels they require some finesse. But in time you'll learn to appreaciate the game more for that finesse factor (in fact you'll likely despise pure melee-type characters after a while).

For now though do this:

Fighter instead of Paladin - MUCH better for feats (which is MUCH better for melee characters) AND not as restrictive alignment-wise. In particular the Fighter is the only class that allows the selection of weapon specilization feat.

If you have SOU and HOTU installed then you will have better prestige classes to "evolve" into - but for now I'm asuming that you don't.

Fighter
Human (for the exta feat)
Str.17
Dex.10
Con.16
Wis.9
Int.10
Char.10

The key potions a pure fighter will require are: Clarity, Cure Poison, and the two Restorations.

IF you have the other modules (SOU & HOTU) installed (you won't be dual-classing to a Paladin)
Str.16
Dex.13
Con.16
Int.13
Wis. 8
Char.8

Always increasing Str. at the appropriate character level-ups.

Feats 1st level:
Power Attack
Cleave
Exotic weapon prof.

2nd level:
Weapon Focus Bastard Sword (or Katana if you would prefer that type of sword - functionally the same).

3rd level:
Toughness

4th level:
Weapon Specilization Bastard Sword (or if you picked Katana for your Weapon focus at charater level 2 then Katana as your Weapon Specilization).

Past this level things feat selection becomes either a LOT more complex (IF you have the other modules) or a LOT simpler.

IF you don't have the other modules then consider:
Knockdown and Improved Critical (for either the Bastard sword or the Katana).

Skill point selection is:
Discipline ALWAYS
Persuade for at least the first 10 points
IF you don't have the other modules and can't select the feat Blind Fighting, then you should also expend some points in Spot and Listen (with more in Spot than Listen).

FIGHTER-PALADIN:

IF you want a multi-class Fighter Paladin (w/out the other modules installed) then you will need the stats as follows:
Str.16
Dex.10
Con.16
Int.10
Wis.12
Char.10

For simplicities sake just alternate levels starting with Fighter (then Paladin, then Fighter, then Paladin, etc.), until you reach Fighter class level 4 (which will be character level 7). At this time you'll get to choose your Weapon Specilization feat and from now on you can continue with Paladin w/out an exp. point penalty. In otherwords at Character level 8-20 you will level-up only as a Paladin.

Attribute increases will be primarily focused on str. BUT if you want your pitifull 3rd or 4th level spell(s) then you will need to select Wisdom at least once (twice if you want that 4th level spell). I'd advise against it however and just increase str.

[ 04-20-2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: ScottG ]
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:57 AM   #3
Target
Red Dragon

Thanks for that Scott, thats a great help, I do have the other modules installed but thought I'd better play the OC first. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Now I've got something to think about...

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

ScottG,

I agree with your comments about the fighter build, but I think you are off base on the paladin. The paladin's prime stat is charisma. With only a 10 charisma at the start, the paladin's special abilities are going to be sadly underpowered. I would recommend a starting chr of 14 to 16 with the points being stripped away from both strength and constitution.

Additionally, a paladin (with HotU installed) has the option to dual to a champion of torm which add additional power to the paladin special abilities AND partly makes up for loss of feats.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Target
Red Dragon

I think I'll have a go as a fighter for now. As I can get the fighting blind feat should I get that sooner or around 5ish?

Old 04-22-2004, 03:15 AM   #6
ScottG
Drow Warrior

I've maped out a character progression structure for you here:

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c&f=7&t=002516

Michah, feel free to anlyze it! Remember though that the base comparison is against a pure fighter - which a Paladin isn't (and incidentally isn't as good melee-wise).

Note that with the exception of only the pitiful lay on hands ability, smite evil's attack bonus (not damage), and savings throw bonuses - charisma is otherwise useless to a Paladin. Of course the biggie is savings throw bonuses - BUT do you really want to sacrifice attack and damgage bonuses that str. provides for a measily 2-3 savings throw points? (though of course their are also a couple of selectable feats of quality only if you have the charisma base - but they are quite limited in use per day and duration.)
Old 04-22-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
Target
Red Dragon

Cheers scott, That will be a great help.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

After going down the fighter path, I think I’m doing well.
Trying to go solo, and have just finished the prison part of chapter 1. Did struggle with the sorecer in the pits and the interlect devourer.
As I’ve now found a magic Katana I want to go to the smith and get the made one, but where do I find the ardermite (sp??)
In the beggar’s nest at the mo, zombies are easy to kill, they walk so slowly can pick erm off at long range. I find that I seem to have to do a lot of talking, breaks up the flow of the game.

Old 05-03-2004, 01:28 PM   #9
quietman1920

ScottG, I'm trying your build on a dedicated server. It seems to be working, but I must say that I am always as poor as a church mouse there.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:26 AM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

your welcome! However it works out, please place your comments on the build on the post (not here) - to let others know if its worthwhile or not.. and where you think it could stand improvement.

Target no doubt you have found some Adamantite by now - if not try and do a search here. (hint: think b4 blackisle..)