Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 AM   #1
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Since NWN savegames are so large(16megs, and just in CH.1) I will need to get a removable media device. I want to get a CD-RW but I need direct advice. I want one that records data and not neccessarily music(I'm showing my ignorance here, I *think* data and audio recording is different). My ? is, what is the acronym that I look for in shopping for a CD drive that records data? TIA

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

A normal CD-RW will do both. There is some media that says its for music only ( that i have seen) but i've used these for media as well.

So the short & curly is it doens't matter what CD-RW you get it will do both.

Hope that helps

Cheers

T-D-C
Old 05-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Yup, any CD-R will be able to burn both data and music. Its still worth paying extra though, the cheaper models can be slower and less reliable.

Do not trust music only media to hold data though, they are lower specification and while it will almost certainly work, why risk it for the sake of loose change?

One alternative you might like to go for is a USB drive. Stores a fair amount, can be used on any computer with a USB slot. Much more convinient that carrying a CD around.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
Cienden
Manshoon

Yeah a USB drive is pretty handy. I have a 256MB one and I use it all the time and carry it with me.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:

One alternative you might like to go for is a USB drive. Stores a fair amount, can be used on any computer with a USB slot. Much more convinient that carrying a CD around.
Hmmm, what's a USB slot, and how would I tell if I had one?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:52 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

If your machine is anything approaching new, you have USB ports. They replaced serial ports a few years ago. Google around for pictures if your unsure.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

one hint, the faster the record speed the better the copy will be, the slower, the longer it will take, my cd-rw/dvd runs at 52X cd-r 24X cd-rw 52X cd-rom and 16X dvd-rom, not the greatest, but it is pretty fast compared to my old one
Old 05-24-2004, 09:51 PM   #8
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Sorry Stormymystic but you are only half right.

The faster the read speed the better but, for recording Data you will find that recording at higher speeds will reduce the Quality. When you try to copy Data from a Game CD or DVD you can end up with A corrupt copy that will not work or allow you to use due to missing segments while recording. So when ever you try to copy a Video DVD or a Game CD set the copy speed for 8X CD and 4X for DVD remember ROM means "Read Only Memory" and when you record Data always do it at aprox 1/8, 1/4 or 1/3 the speed that it is read depending on the type of copy being made.

Music recording is the opposit. Hi speed recording will reduce unwanted noise on the Audio recording so 16X or 32X is Better, Now you say where do I get my imformation from?
My best friends Father is the Boss and CEO of the MGM movie and music Library Owned by Ted Turner. I worked for him for two years, the main thing I did while I worked there is Turn Major motion pictures "Movie Film" into Master DVD's which in turn would be used to make The DVD's you buy at the Video store. Also We made Master CD's for the major Record companies, for music Videos and CD music masters.

Stormy you are right about, the faster the DVD/CD Players are the better they preform. But always record on the speeds I Have stated Below if you want High quality error free copies.

So DVD is read at 16X and you rewrite at 4X always any faster will look cheep.

your Music CD is read at 52X and rewrite at 16X or even 32X.

Your Data CD is read at 52X you rewrite at 4X or 8X, any faster and you will lose segments and the Game copy will be worthless.

Yes Slower rewrite takes more time but, Are you working on a deadline? As for me, I don't like to have to do things more than one time and I hate to waste money trying to work too fast and screw up High quality CD/R disks.

Faster Read is better for play back quality.
Slower rewrite is better for Copying quality.

I've copied maybe 1,500 to 1,800 different titles but please don't ask me to copy anything for you because I can't do it! It's against the law and against the forums rules! Sorry

If you can afford it buy Nero Express & InCD CD/DVD coping software made by AHEAD software. It is one of the best and easyest home copy Programs I have ever used. I believe I've used almost every copy software on the market. Nero comes with a real good set of instructions that are easy to follow and even easier to use.
For more imformation check it out at;
http://www.nero.com