Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 01:51 PM   #1
MagiK

Some of the press would have us believe that there is wide spread hatred and angst towards the American and British troops in Iraq.

Some of the Press tell us that the Iraqi's love us and are so happy we are there that they are offering their daughters as wives...

3 of my personal friends who are there say that there is a small faction of malcontents but the vast majority seem to love us....

My question is..has anyone else actually talked to anyone of Iraqi descent or someone who is or has been recently in Iraq and what their expressed opinions have been??

I believe my friends but every one has an opinion and theirs may not be shared. So let me know what you have heard first or second hand from people you know or have talked to....we already know that the media is saying both love and hate.

Edit: spelling errors.... *sigh*

[ 05-16-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-16-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I personally know someone who fled from Iraq in the eighties, no need to mention how he feels about all this. Last time i spoke with him, he said that he was planning on moving back, now that the regime is gone. He has some relatives who he hasn't spoken to in years, and doesn't even know if they're still alive today. I can imagine that he's anxious to find that out.

From what i saw on Dutch TV, the majority of Iraqi's here, were kinda enthousiastic about everything, except for the bombings of course. But they said it was an acceptable risk. Or in other words... it was the ONLY way to get rid of Saddam.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:04 PM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Magik, I would say the feeling is neutral. They are happy and love you for riding them of their tyrant. But they are at unease due to the presence of troops, and unsure what your government has in store for them. There are also those who feel overjoyed and those who are not overjoyed. Pretty reasonable! I am sure that all the stories are true but neither can sum up all the view of all Iraqis. The only way for us to know for sure is to put down our beer get of our comfy couch go pay a visit to Iraq, visit various towns and talk to various people in Iraq.

[ 05-16-2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 05-16-2003, 06:14 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Yes, I've spoken to a few Iraqis and it's basically like pritchke said. They are happy Saddam is gone, but they are also very uncertain and scared because they're not sure what will happen next and how their future will look like. Though all Iraqis that I've spoken to before the war thought war was wrong. They thought there were better ways to get rid of Saddam, and, yes, they had good suggestions. My boyfriend's Iraqi classmates also thought the same thing, with the exception of one person. So I don't think these Iraqis are very thrilled there are American and Brittish troops in Iraq... but I also don't think it's exactly hate.
There's this blog from a person in Iraq that you can read if you want to know what an Iraqi person thinks of all this and how life is for him there. Here's the address: http://dearraed.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

No war posts please Maj... I Don't want this to become a politics forum [img]smile.gif[/img] A NEW forum coming up will allow this. You should LOVE it [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album