Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2003, 11:53 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Turbine Tapped for D&D MMO [5/15/2003 11:21:39 PM ET]

Turbine Entertainment Software Corp., already on board with Vivendi Universal Games to develop a Lord of the Rings massively multiplayer online game, has now teamed up with Atari, Inc. to develop a Dungeons & Dragons MMO title.

Dungeons & Dragons Online will bring the Wizards of the Coast game online in 2005. The title will also mark the first project to be developed, funded and run by Turbine.

Players will be able to create characters from races such as Humans, Elves and Halflings, while choosing from classes that include Fighters, Clerics, Rogues and Wizards. Traveling alone or in parties, gamers will explore dungeons, battle monsters and solve puzzles, all while attempting to advance their character’s attributes.
-------

Wow. I've wondered for years now, why someone hasn't pitched THIS idea. I don't know about you, but if it's done RIGHT, and it's kinda like Everquest, I'll play!!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-16-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
MagiK

Wonder, will this be D&D or AD&D? there is a rather large distinction...

Old 05-16-2003, 11:57 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Light Bulb

Z, thanks for the heads up on this news! Where did you find the info.? Will the setting be FR or GH? I have never played MMO, but I just might if this is good.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Wonder, will this be D&D or AD&D? there is a rather large distinction...
D&D seems more logical... Though I have the feeling that most of the D&D-rules will be simplified drastically anyways to make it all work in a MMORPG-environment. We'll see about it sooner or later, though. Not much of a MMORPG-fan, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
Z, thanks for the heads up on this news! Where did you find the info.? Will the setting be FR or GH? I have never played MMO, but I just might if this is good.
http://www.gamedaily.com/template_ne...r.asp#AFCB3414

This was JUST released, so it may take time to spread around.

I HOPE it's AD&D, but I don't know....

Old 05-16-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

yay good i happy news was my reaction then i saw 2005...and i dont really care then since its a long time there....
Old 05-16-2003, 01:21 PM   #7
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Press release:

At the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Atari and Turbine today jointly announced plans to bring Wizards of the Coast's incredibly popular gaming universe, "Dungeons & Dragons"® ("D&D"®), to the world of massively multiplayer games with "Dungeons & Dragons® Online." This innovative online role-playing game will be the first project developed, funded and run by Turbine Entertainment, creators of the critically acclaimed "Asheron's Call" and "Asheron's Call 2." "Dungeons & Dragons Online" will provide players with the definitive online "Dungeons & Dragons" experience, complete with dramatic dungeon crawling, terrifying monster combat and challenging puzzles, character advancement and guild-based power struggles.

"We've been looking for perfect opportunities to enter into the world of massively multiplayer online gaming and there is no fantasy gaming brand with more recognition than 'Dungeons & Dragons,'" said Bruno Bonnell, chairman and CEO of Atari. "The key to a productive business model for online gaming is having quality content that consumers will pay for. 'Dungeons & Dragons Online' will build on the huge amount of established content in the 'D&D' worlds. It has the potential to be that killer online app...that breakthrough title that sets a new standard for the medium."

Slated for release in 2005, "Dungeons & Dragons Online" is centered on robust character advancement, challenging dungeon combat, meaningful guild politics and territorial control over major portions of the game world. Players choose and develop a character based on some of the iconic races associated with "D&D," including Humans, Elves and Halflings, as well as classes such as Fighters, Clerics, Rogues, and Wizards -- after which they can socialize, find quests, group together and equip themselves for future battles.

"'Dungeons & Dragons' is the ultimate fantasy role-playing game. It has introduced more people to game playing than any other title and has spawned hosts of imitators and admirers," said Jeffrey Anderson, president and CEO, Turbine Entertainment. "The social backbone of 'D&D' gaming -- groups of friends creating adventures and worlds to explore together -- along with its rich fiction, immense monster bestiary, and complex character development make it a natural for the next generation of massively multiplayer game."

"Dungeons & Dragons Online" will let players travel alone or in parties as they explore the seemingly endless dungeon complexes found beneath the world. Through the dungeons, players will engage in physical and magical combat with hideous foes straight from the pages of the "Monster Manual"(TM) rulebook. Battle will be challenging, fast-paced, and easy to control with a wealth of unique weapon effects and character movements, as well as specific monster behaviors designed to keep combat both tactical and action packed.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 05-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Knew others would have more info on this! What was the source? Or did GD add more to the story?

Thanks!!

Old 05-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

I copied the release from http://www.rpgdot.com

Here's the page.

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#16900
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 05-16-2003, 02:01 PM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

awesome news!!!!!!