Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Curious if anyone reads books by Raymond E. Feist....I'm working on a few right now...

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

<font color=skyblue>Welcome to Ironworks!

Sorry, but I have not read any of that author's books.

I am going to move this thread to the Books and Movies forum, where the topic can continue to be discussed.

By the way...I like your signature phrase. That was actually a point of discussion at Christmas dinner with the wife's family. </font>
Old 01-03-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Welcome to Ironworks, Ilander [img]smile.gif[/img] I've read most of Feists' books, as he is one of my favorite writers. Which ones are you reading?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

And a good time will be had by all [img]smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to Ironworks Ilander - I have read all the Feist books. I can remember reading Magician way back in 1983 or thereabouts. I picked it up (the 800 + pages version) and it took me about 40 hours to read it (with about 10 hours lost for sleep and some PnP D&D [img]smile.gif[/img] ). It was about 3 or 4 years later before he released a sequal and I was hoping in all those years that he would continue to write about Midkemia.

Now to Larry - you should "Magician" by R E Feist to your reading list dude. That book can be read by itself, and is head and shoulders above all the books that followed (though I quite liked the Mistress of the Empire series). I would expect that you would really enjoy it Larry.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

I've read just about all Feist's stuff after I played Betrayl at Krondor. I have to admit I haven't followed him in a long time. I remember always liking his storytelling capabilities better than his writing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
InjaYew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I know what you mean, InjaYew...his writing style is kinda...not literature--but that's okay, because his storytelling is great (with emphasis). Now to Dreamer and Davros, I'm reading Apprentice right now, but I've already read the Serpentwar books and the Riftwar Legacy...my dinky little corner of Kentucky isn't so good for finding his books...though I have managed to hook a few other people on them...he he....I can't find the newest book anywhere (beyond the internet, that is), though, and am not sure if I even should expend the effort to find it....

What's your opinion on the last book (chronologically)? Worth reading if I enjoyed Serpent War?

Old 01-03-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I know what you mean, InjaYew...his writing style is kinda...not literature--but that's okay, because his storytelling is great (with emphasis). Now to Dreamer and Davros, I'm reading Apprentice right now, but I've already read the Serpentwar books and the Riftwar Legacy...my dinky little corner of Kentucky isn't so good for finding his books...though I have managed to hook a few other people on them...he he....
(grumbles) Stupid loser friends and their obsessions.... "Raymond E. Feist is the son of Barbara A. Feist, he lives..." Must... Destroy... "Ilander!"
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

You're thankful, boy. Don't bother me with idle threats...I introduced you to BG also...I can ruin your life with still other books and games...

Anyway, anybody have any good ideas for WHY Macros decieved the armies at the end of the riftwar? My best guess is that he had a premonition of Maarg's plans, and wanted to protect Kelewan from Shila's fate...but that's just speculation...

Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I am of the opinion his early stuff is his better stuff. Magician was only ever marketed as one book over here - I know it was marketed as 2 in the US - Apprentice and something else - Master presumably. I couldn't use my copy to check this because I have replaced the tattered 20 yr old paperback with a hardback copy of the "revised edition". In that one, Feist names the books "Pud and Tomas" and "Milamber and the Valheru".

I understand from what you have posted that you have read much of the later stuff but have not read all of the original Rift War Saga. Your question regarding Macros is best answered at the end of the saga. It sounds like you still have Silverthorn to read, and the book that gives you your answers about Macros's deceptions is the final book called "A Darkness at Sethanon". In that book, Pug and Tomas journey to find Macros the Black.

I would recommend you read those two books to complete the saga. I am reading his latest books, and they are a reasonable read, but not as captivating as the early stuff was some 20 years ago.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Now to Larry - you should "Magician" by R E Feist to your reading list dude. That book can be read by itself, and is head and shoulders above all the books that followed (though I quite liked the Mistress of the Empire series). I would expect that you would really enjoy it Larry.
<font color=skyblue>Thanks for the referral. I will have to check it out now, since you seem very confident on your advice. </font>