Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Fallen
Dungeon Master

After having played through the game about 3 times, I decided to start the game again using a monk. I am now about halfway through act 2 (thats the one set mainly in Athkatla yes?) and im nearly lvl 12 i think. However I can't help i made a mistake in choosing the monk because up until now hes been a bit crap. He has 18 strength, 18 dexterity, 18 constitution and 18 charisma (with the ring) intelligence is at 3 and wisdom 9.

Should i carry on with him? Will he turn into the world-beating super fighter I've been told that monks are?

I need advice [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2002, 06:33 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Yes.

With that INT, though, you are going to have a real problem against Mind Flayers--each melee hit drains 5 points of INT, regardless of your Magic Resistance. So, 1 Critical Hit = Death.

[ 07-22-2002, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]
Old 07-22-2002, 06:43 PM   #3
Fallen
Dungeon Master

Hmmm, i guess I'll just try and keep him away from the mind flayers and let my other characters do the work. There's only two places in the game where there are large numbers of them about at once, if i remember correctly.

Well, I'm glad to hear that my effort hasn't been wasted on the monk. I look forward to see him kicking arse in the future.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:47 PM   #4
uss
20th Level Warrior

Don`t worry. Later on, he is the most powerful warrior class by far. Do you have ToB installed? if you do, youŽll get to higher levels which will make your monk overly powerful(like mine)
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:35 PM   #5
Sir Goulum
John Locke

DEFINITALY! Monks get so powerful at the end of the game its nearly not even funny!
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 07:38 PM   #6
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Monks are one of the best classes to have but have the sharpest difficulty curve, at the beginning of the game they suck put them im melee with a fairly hard opponent and they will be chopped to bits in seconds at the end of the game however the story is quite different [img]smile.gif[/img]

By the end of TOB he was like a god

+4 d20 fists (great for taking out those golems)
Natural AC of -10 (with equipment he had -19
- 34 AC against missile weapons (never fear big groups archers again)
78% magic resistance (he was the bane of wizards)
4 attacks per turn
immune to poison and slow
super fast movement rate

another thing to remember is NEVER equip a monk with a weapon, it seriously restricts their fighting abilities

And from my own personal experience - The ultimate Dragon Killer (with the quivering palm ability I took out the silver Dragon in my punch)

P.S If I have missed anything, then write it down (Its been a while since i played a monk)
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:32 PM   #7
The Dragon Reborn
Dungeon Master

Also monks can cast the limited amount of priest spells, and use all wands.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:05 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
With low Wisdom and Intelligence, you might face problems if you're in dialogue.. The Spectator Beholder comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there's more.. He sounds like a good char, and will definately be powerful.. I just wouldn't recommend playing a char with such unbalanced stats over a table with friends and a DM.. The DM would make life a living hell for you, for sure!

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 PM   #9
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Umm so someone is finally playing the monk, great. Here is what i have to say about monks, they are really really powerful esp when they are lvl 15. All the 3 evil dragons can be killed in one hit(quivering palm) can heal themselves real fast(lay on hands) great magic resistance, and yes good movement speed and large no. of attacks per round and surely with your high strength and dex. you must have +5? bonus to damage and +7 bonus to hit, ......spoiler.......... get the gloves after killin the prince in the sahauggin city(+4 to thac0 and damage), yeah with some enchantments the AC class can also be upgraded, so a lvl 19-20 monk is a living nightmare for enemies, but you cant solo him, i guess, or its too difficult then.
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:59 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

When it comes to soloing a pureclass character, the Monk ranks up there with the Sorcerer.

Ideally... a Monk will want,

STR: 18
DEX: 18
CON: 16
WIS: 08+
INT: 08+
CHA: 08+

[ 07-23-2002, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote