Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2002, 09:06 AM   #51
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Interesting. We have said that they are stupid cause they live close to a vulcano. Did they know that it could errupt? And by the way.. How many times do earthquakes hit LA? Humans lives at the most stupid places all over earth, Take a closer look at satelite photos and you can see that in China the live close to were springfloods will come. Why? Cause it is the best land to farm on.

Stealing gas to pay for their children? Stealing gas to by medicine? If there are no medicines to buy in the first place?? And well why have so many kids if they canīt support them also comes in handy.. But then again... Who are we really to judge?

And about stealing country dreamer. Donīt know where you come from but you are probalby living on stolen ground yourself.. Most of us are if we just look back in time.. Most borders are indeed drawn in blood or money..

And wel, if I were desperate I might take a chance but I donīt know yet, I am not that desperate that I will try to run off with something flamable when there is hot lava around..

And about the laws. You know the laws down there?? Maybe it is still theft, maybe it is not..

Anyway, I still think it is a bit of the "what do you die from if you eat broken glass?"

Stupidity.. but thats my thoughts, they might have had reasons we donīt know..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
Old 01-25-2002, 09:21 AM   #52
Jorath Calar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Before you go and get upset, think about what really has happened in this thread. a comment ws made, and it ws decided by some tha according to their religious beliefs, that action was rendered harmles, yet some agreed together that such an act was a lack of a belief. Nobody pulled out any guns and there ws no holy war.
Some of us tried to imagine ourselves in a similar situation, and we expressed our thoughts on what we might have done differently.

Again I say, nobody was hurt in this conversation, and nobody has been lmade to cry.
Where is the problem, then?

Well, it did seem to me Dreamer was baiting you. coming up with all sorts of questionss for you, questioning your belief. I'm glad you are smart enough not to"cry about it" [img]smile.gif[/img]
But then thats just my impression, and I've seen lot of this lately here...
Old 01-25-2002, 09:49 AM   #53
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:

Well, it did seem to me Dreamer was baiting you. coming up with all sorts of questionss for you, questioning your belief. I'm glad you are smart enough not to"cry about it" [img]smile.gif[/img]
But then thats just my impression, and I've seen lot of this lately here...

You're right. We do get into alot of religious debates on the Gen. Con, and if anybody tries to bait me...well, they're the ones outta luck. I spent 2 years as a missionary, being baited every minute that the sun was up! I am a professional!

Anyway, The original intent of this thread was to decide if the theft of that gas justified their deaths.

Answer: No

Were they ignorant of the fact that they could die?

Answer: Probably...It's not every day that a hero is born. There are far more cowards on this Earth.

Do I agree with their plan of action?

Answer: No. I am smarter than that. I would rather die of starvation than by fire. Fire hurts more, I would think.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #54
MagiK

quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
And well why have so many kids if they canīt support them also comes in handy.. But then again... Who are we really to judge?

Hey Wolfie I agree with your post (obvious from my previos posts) However I do have an answer for this particular question.

"Who are we to Judge" when talking about people having children they can't support....I AM! I am a rational (well some times) thinking human being who knows it is an evil act to bring children into this world that you know you cannot support, or take care of. It is every parents responsibility to care for their young, failure to do so is an act of great evil. Now I dont mean that if someone has a kid and then hits hard times and things go bad that they are evil, I mean bringing a child into the worl KNOWING beforehand that you probably can't feed, clothe or provide the basic needs for....that is evil, selfish and wrong.

Yeah yeah I know some will say "Easy for you to say, because you live in a rich western country" Wrong answer..There are people living in this "rich western country" who are every bit as evil and selfish about this issue as anyone in any third world country. There is NO excuse for having children that you cannot take care of, except greed and selfishness.

Old 01-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #55
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

You're right. We do get into alot of religious debates on the Gen. Con, and if anybody tries to bait me...well, they're the ones outta luck. I spent 2 years as a missionary, being baited every minute that the sun was up! I am a professional!

Anyway, The original intent of this thread was to decide if the theft of that gas justified their deaths.

Answer: No

Were they ignorant of the fact that they could die?

Answer: Probably...It's not every day that a hero is born. There are far more cowards on this Earth.

Do I agree with their plan of action?

Answer: No. I am smarter than that. I would rather die of starvation than by fire. Fire hurts more, I would think.

I admire your faith, I wish I could believe as you do.
But i'm not a religieus person, I just look at the facts and I'm sorry if some of my posts were offensive to you.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:54 AM   #56
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:

I admire your faith, I wish I could believe as you do.
But i'm not a religieus person, I just look at the facts and I'm sorry if some of my posts were offensive to you.

I never said that they were!

You have valid points and if I was not of any faith, knowing what I know...I could easily see your points.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:26 PM   #57
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Its easy to have morals when you live in a rich western country, have a good job, a nice house and can take a holiday once a year. These people don't have that luxery.

Dreamer, it's also easy to have them when you live in a less prosperous place. I have met folk who DO and I can tell you it's inspirational. I met them through church and amnesty groups.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:32 PM   #58
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you just said. [img]graemlins/confuse21.gif[/img] (Your not one of those creepy religieus fanatics are you?)

Uh.. would you mind explaining exactly what do you define as 'fanatic'? Or were you joking and I missed something?

Cloudy
Old 01-25-2002, 11:12 PM   #59
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

Uh.. would you mind explaining exactly what do you define as 'fanatic'? Or were you joking and I missed something?

Cloudy

Seeing as how everyone is in such good spirits...
I'll let you off the hook and tell you I do not consider myself a 'fanatic' and I AM a church going Christian who tries to live what she believes.

And as someone else said, don't worry, nobody here is on a 'convert the masses' crusade!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:05 AM   #60
Donut
Jack Burton

This thread has meandered a bit. The original question was about what were the people who were killed thinking at the time.

Firstly I don't think you can judge people in the third world by the morals and ethics which prevail in the affluent west.

These people were poor to an extent that you and I cannot understand. Being poor in the US or western europe comes nowhere near being poor in the Congo. The idea of right and wrong would not have entered there heads, they would have assessed the chances of being killed against the chances of retrieving something valuable. As we know their assessment in this case was wrong.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show