Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Probably what's happening is that you're not too good with computers and don't know how to configure these programs properly. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I can't speak for AVG because I use AVAST, but avast never asked me any questions like that. It certainly scan my emails, but I don't see any options to block them.

Zonelaram is the one that block internet connections. It's it's whole goal, preventing internet connections without your permission. You said you might have blocked something. That could be the problem. You need to make sure you know 100% what a program does before you block it.

I'm not certain about Zonealarm, but AVAST has help forums and probably some tips for new users. You might want to give those a try.

[ 12-07-2006, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I've never had a virus and don't use a virus protection software.

I have a mac. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

I am so tempted to bring out a particular Ctrl+Alt+Del comic-strip in response. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Narf.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

That's your trade-off, lol.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #15
Griefmaker
The Magister

The only anti-virus program that I have ever used that gives me an option to deny soemthing from the internet is F-Secure. If something is trying to access your computer via the internet (usually this only happens the first time, or if you have not given the program/site permission to access your computer), then it give you the option of not allowing it access, allowing it access once, or always allowing it access. Do you have F-Secure on your system?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Fie! Fie!

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #18
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You beat me to it, Dundee! I had that comic at the ready for the next person silly enough to think that the only reason Macs do not get viruses is because they are better, when in fact its because they are the minority and nobody really bothers to make them. However, there ARE some virues exclusive to the Mac, and discussion of this has been posted on this forum in the past about that reality.

Go ahead and enjoy safety for now, you Mac'ers...your turn is coming.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #19
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Regarding the Avast anti-virus. I took a business computer class this semester, and we were given a chance to make 50 points extra credit to attend a seminar that taught various things on how to set up a wireless, establish a firewall, operate an anti-virus...you know...things that most college kids have no idea how to do (You'd be surprised at how many people were actually learning something new at that seminar, though most were attractive girls with big boobs...so I can see why they would not have had the time to learn on their own).

The speaker was talking about Symantec being available for only $5.00 to any student, and that is when I decided to ask about its comparitivity to Avast, a free software. He told me that Avast was just as good as Symantec, and that he actually had Avast on his home PC...but did not want to direct the students to trying to get it because most would not know how to download it and operate it as easily as Symantec, which the school would actually load it onto the students' PCs for them.

[ 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #20
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Avast installed itself. It did "not" ask for any settings. Of course why would I want settings that will not allow me to get my emails? That's stupid! Maybe it's another program conflicing with it?