Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2002, 02:19 AM   #1
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Vet as in animal doctor [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have a 10 month old boxer that got hit by a car about a week ago. We took him to the vetanarian (sp) and they did all the neccary stuff to get him fixed, it turned out he has a broken leg. His back left leg. They did surgeory on him and he now has a pin in his leg. They say it will be about 6 weeks before they take it out.

He has been acting strange though. We are giving him medicine, I am not sure what its called though. I, for some reason, think we are giving it too him in wrong doses.

He seems to have stomache problems. He hasnt vomited or anything, but he moans a bit, and his stomache makes loud nosies after we give him his medicine. And his front left paw shakes. I am kind of woried about him. I am wondering if anyone knows if this is normal recation to the given sintiuation or if somethings wrong. I will call the vet tomorrow, but its 1:30 am here right now.

The moaning might just be because he is a pretty spoiled dog and thinks hes just not getting enough attention.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-18-2002, 02:48 AM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hey GR! I'm no vet but i hope Bon pulls through!
Old 10-18-2002, 03:02 AM   #3
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Djinn [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am sure he will pull through. It may be hard, but he will do it. Hes asleep right now, I hope he stays asleep for a while. I am going to stay up as long as I can, so he wont be bored out of his mind with no one up. My parents usally wake up at about 6, I usally stay up till 3 or so, that gives him a 3 hour time to be alone and not able to do anything
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 10-18-2002, 03:32 AM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog GR . It's tough when your little ones get sick or injured, they can't tell you what's wrong but trust you to make it all better! Especially when they get injured like that too, I imagine he's not on much, if any pain medication either; I know when Bubbles was attacked, and also when she tore her cruciate ligaments she couldn't have anything for the pain because she'd forget she was injured and do something silly. Such a shame

Maybe check the label of the medicine you have? The stomach problems may just be a side effect. Or maybe he's having some sort of reaction to the medicine. Definitely get him checked out.

Hope he gets better soon [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2002, 03:35 AM   #5
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Aelia Jusa [img]smile.gif[/img]

yeah we wear scheduled to take him for a check up monday, but thats still a few days away. I will try and get a hold of the vet tomorrow and see if this all just natural or what.

But for now I am off to bed, 'night everyone.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:08 AM   #6
Epona
Zartan

I'm not a vet, but most good vets will happily speak to you on the phone if you've got any concerns. Just give him/her a ring and describe the problems you've told us about here and I'm sure they'll suggest whether that's normal. It's probably a normal side-effect since many medications can mess with your digestion, but it could be an allergic reaction so best check it out. And obvioulsy if the symptoms get any worse or become continual, take him to the surgery straight away.

Hope he gets better soon.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 AM   #7
Absynthe

It sounds like he's having a fairly normal reaction to oral meds, the stomach grumbling being a reaction to the pills. If there is only one type of pill prescribed, it's likely an antibiotic, given to ameliorate any infection from the surgery. You may want to ask your vet about a pain patch, which is a topical pain med that is absorbed through the skin over a period of several days. That should ease his recovery for the first week when the bulk of the pain is present. In any event, be sure you do not give him any human painkillers such as tylenol, advil, or aspirin, as these can be fatally toxic to animals in the wrong dosages.
Sounds like you're keeping a close eye on him and giving him plenty of comfort and attention, which will make it easier for him to recover. Call your vet when they open today, and ask them about a pain patch, they'll take care of you.

Old 10-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #8
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

They don't give pain meds to animals much because they don't know enough to stay off the bad leg except for the pain. He's probably moaning because of the achy leg. See if the vet will give some pain meds if he's not sleeping well.