Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 10:01 PM   #1
hailitho
The Magister

This is at Den of Seven Vales.

I have me a thief jaheira minsc and Aeria(cleric I just got from circus, think that name is wrong) I chose not to take the thf he didnt seem trustworthy.

Anyways there are 2 wars, one mage up inside this inn. I cannot kill them no matter what tactic I try. I have the difficulty slider all the way to easy... Am I too come back later? or can anyone give me any good tactics? No cheats please.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:27 PM   #2
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Thats a tough fight early on I came back to it later, with me(ranger) minsc, jaheira, aerie, yoshimo,and keldorn. For tactics shoot first & use area magic(fireball,cloudkill,etc.)hope that helps

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 05-11-2001, 10:29 PM   #3
onthepequod
Quintesson

As I recall, this was a tough fight for me. And I had a full party including Minsc, Jahiera, Yoshimo (the thief you mentioned), Airie, and Nalia. When I faced them I had already finished a handful of quests and had leveled up a few times. At this point it was still a tough fight for me.

It sounds to me as if you are very early on in the game. My suggestion would be to get some experience and come back later. They're not going anywhere. But if you do decide to continue trying....
Minor Spoiler
Hit that stinking mage with spells like "insect plague" or perhaps "silence 15'" before he can do any damage. If you can take out their mage early on, it will be a much easier battle.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2001, 11:34 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I did this immediately after the circus quest, so it was a tough fight. I had to reload a few times before I finally beat them.

Here's what I did for my successful attempt:

1. When talking to the obnoxious dwarf, back off so that you don't trigger the fight before you are ready. I arranged my party in the room outside their bedroom. Cast all the protective spells I had (bless, defensive haarmony, chant, etc). Minsc and my kensai were at the door.

2. I got Jaheira to cast entangle (or was it Aerie casting stinking cloud? Can't remember) so that the other party would find it difficult to move around. Then I let 'em have it with spells and missile weapons.

3. Take out the imp (Pooky) first as it casts confusion - really nasty. Then go for the mage next.

4. Use Minsc and whatever tanks you have to hold off the fighters while your spellcasters concentrate on taking out the magic users, using ranged weapons and spells.

5. Once the magic users are out, it becomes a bit easier. Use whatever abilites, spells, wands you have.

Alternatively, you could come back a while later when you are more powerful. Mencar Pebblecrusher & his gang are not going anywhere.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-12-2001, 12:17 AM   #5
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Dont tell him to take the bards way out and come back later. Talk to mencar and tell him no trouble your going. Now when you get close to him he wont say anything and you can prepare right next to him if you choose. Cast all your buff spells and most importantly stoneskin for aerie and ironskins for jaheira. Hide your thief in shadows then have jaheira start casting entangle and backstab pookie. You can take the mage out in one hit but then pookie will get his protection spells up immediately so take him out and this injures the mage from his familiar dying. Whichever target you choose once your visible run back to the stair case and have aerie use wand of cloudkill and minsc block up the doorway. By the time your thief made it back jaheira and aerie will be done casting and can plug up the rest of the doorway for a bit because of their skin spells. Use direct damage spells and hold person and missile weapons to finish them off and make sure to kill brenan risling before he escapes.

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-12-2001, 01:50 AM   #6
Pennance
The Magister

Best tactic for thwarting those not-so-pesky and completely innocent adventuring bands who are really just kinda arrogant and not that mean is...

1) Web/Entangle/Stinking Cloud

2) Fireballs/Cloudkill/Death Fog

3) Archers

Its as easy as 1...2...3. And if any escape the traps then you've got warriors like Minsc and the ferocious Boo to go after them!
Old 05-12-2001, 08:59 AM   #7
Vampire

I had:
me
Jaheira
Minsc
Yoshimo

just 4 and I found it easy!
This is what you do:
use cloud kill and fireball
wait down stairs and they'll appear one by one
the dwarf is hard!!!!
one guy just surrendered and left!!!
use the good old arrow, run, arrow, run
Old 05-12-2001, 09:02 AM   #8
Tom
Elminster

I always kill him with no help, (no soloing though)

I have a mage with a bunch of different OFFENSIVE SPELLS.

Then I attack, I lure one guy at a time, and run aroung the bottem floor spell casting him. It was a DA*N easy fight!
Old 05-12-2001, 09:08 AM   #9
Tom
Elminster

And on insane difficulty.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:50 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Cast Greater Malison and Emotion at the start of the fight (they're level 4 and 5 spells you should be able to cast easily). It will affect about half of them. Summon insects on the mage takes him out of the fight and it's fairly straightforward after that. This is one of the tougher fights at low level.

------------------