Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 05:47 AM   #1
Darkskymoon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Having obtained the necessary amount to go on, should I go directly into Chapter 3 or would it be better to go on completing quests and getting more money and experience? I have the feeling that I have made only a small part of the game and left behind important and funny quests. Am I loosing time to go on investigating Chapter 2 and doing every possible quest or should I go ahead trying to free Imoen and killing that Irenicus guy? In other words and philosophically speaking... is it better to be wise or greedy?
Old 05-11-2001, 05:52 AM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

well a good part of the game is that you can choose either.
spolier ahead:
Later on in the game you can return to the city and do any quests you didnt do earlier so no sweat about that you are not missing out on anything. And i suggest going further on in the storyline as a break from sidequests. so I say go on and leave the quests for later

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-11-2001, 05:53 AM   #3
Leodrish
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It doesn't matter if it takes longer time, the storry waits for you. Take your time and do all the quests you like, it's fun and you get more experiense and get good equipment.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:09 AM   #4
Shrylia
Manshoon

Before I went to get Imoen the first time I saved my game prior to even setting sail for spellhold. Once there I found that I really did 'OK', but that I somehow got stuck in with a bunch of critters that I could not beat...frustrated, I returned to my saved game, did a bunch of side quests, got a bunch of exp and weapons,potions,spells and on returning I found things much more on an even par. But thats just me...I like to prepare!
Old 05-11-2001, 07:24 AM   #5
Lord Shield

There are a few encounters that are MORE powerful if you have a higher level, but not many. The minimum monster encounters are tough for starting parties

Old 05-11-2001, 07:42 AM   #6
Cayle
The Magister

I think it is up to personal preference. In chapter six, I felt myself driven to finish by the story. I only had a couple of (very) minor side quests left; the little boy’s stuffed bear and mimic’s blood. I played (still am, in ch7) a ranger and managed to miss it for so long. I found them an annoying distraction from going after Irenicus, so I was glad I did everything in Ch2&3. Same thing happened to me in BG1, except I did not take the time to properly enjoy Baulur’s Gate in ch4.

I think next time through, I will try to do spellhold, etc. early and leave most of the side quests for ch6. I will already know the story, so I will not need to see the end.

BTW- I have never played it myself, but I have heard that if you rush off the ch4 too early, it can get buggy.

------------------
- Cayle
Old 05-11-2001, 07:44 AM   #7
Lord Shield

I know what you mean. Leaving loose ends out there is distracting. I write down quests on a piece of paper so I can concentrate on them when I next get the chance (finish current quest, then look at paper) - If the Quests section of the Journal was combined, and not Chapter-specific I'd use that but I don't like flipping between all the screens

Old 05-11-2001, 08:37 AM   #8
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

You can play it either way.

It really just kind of depends on your playing style. I, for instance, prefer to do the large majority of the quests in Ch. 2 in order to build up my experience levels, items, and spells. However, as AzureWolf pointed out, you will have time to tie up any loose ends just before the end of the game if you so choose. I didn't particularly like that option because I could smell the end of the game and was anxious to wrap it up...

Either way, there isn't really any penalty for playing it one way over another.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-11-2001, 01:10 PM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I just thought id add that a LOT of people have a different playing style then me. I like to really involve myself in the main plot of the story and not go off in side quests and such bcos it deviates from the irenicus story. The first time i completed BG2 i did not do any side quests at all because i was so involoved in the storyline with irenicus that i neglected other quests and went through the whole game and only ended up a 12th L sorceror. But it meant I got the most out of the story of BG2 uninterrupted and meant that over these last 9-10 times ive completed the game i can take my time and do all the side quests. but like i said a lot of people think differently so i dont think its always good to take my advice even tho its freely given

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-11-2001, 06:19 PM   #10
Pennance
The Magister

This will sound strange, but I really didn't like having to do all those quests right then and there. It was like everyone in Faerun decided that they need Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes Son of Bhaal's help at the same time. And of course, as the hero, we have to save them all!

To delve further into this philisophical issue, consider this...which is more important, Imoen's escape from Spellhold or saving an entire twonship such as De'Arnise Keep (and surrounding farmlands) or Trademeet? Or is it more important to rescue one woman from imprisonment as opposed to liberating slaves from their masters?

Point: Adventure and get all the cool stuff! Be a HERO!!!