Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Crap.... Major bad news. That interface was the neatest... now there are gonna use something like fallout dropdown menus. (Like Pools of Radiance 2).

Sounds bad. VERY bad.

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...75550&forum=95

[ 04-01-2006, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Although I wasn't overly fond of the radial menu (I kept clicking it for months accidentally and it would annoy me) this could be even worse with the dropdown. I think they could have just refined the radial and it would have been good.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I agree. And they talk of a June release yet, want to redo the entire interface? Hmm, either its done already and they just told people, or the release date will slip to Sept.

I just have a gut feeling this is a bad idea. Remember Pool of Radiance 2? HORRIBLE inferface. slow as hell too. Heck, World of Warcrafts setup would be EXCELLENT. Use XML for it so people can make their own UI. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Ugh I was just getting to enjoy the radial menu. It has its flaws but its really easy to use once you learn it.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:27 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I found the menu stuff in PoR to be tedious at best. One of the reasons I quit playing it, before I ever got very far. I wasn't overly fond of the radial menu, but I, like several others, had gotten used to it. That drop down thing will be really slow for MP too.
Edit: Unless they leave the quick slots alone.

Another Edit: After probably an hour reading through the posts, they aren't leaving the quick slots alone, they are adding a lot more of them. Something like 140 of them all together. That's a lot of quick slots. I think we are going to be in for some taking time to get used to it, which is to be expected with a new game, I guess.

[ 04-01-2006, 03:36 AM: Message edited by: robertthebard ]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:49 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Oh God, the PoR UI was just stupid. The many quicklots won't be a problem. The more the merrier IMHO. The key to having more is always giving the option to have less. Customization for players can do wonders to suit everyones' personal needs and tastes. If you want a sleek and clean UI make it that way, if you prefer quick access to everything you can do and have, make it that way too [img]smile.gif[/img] .

At this point though, this game is looking to be the only good D&D game were gonna see for awhile. I have concerns about it being rushed by Atari etc. but compared to the joke that is DDO this thing will be great even if it's just NWN1 with enhanced graphics and sleeker controls. Unless it has some terrible game-breaking element to it i'm getting it, even if only to recover from that horrid 'Stormreach' fiasco and finally get a good D&D fix.

[ 04-01-2006, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

The radial menu in NWN is decent but can be a chore to navigate at times. Probably due to the sheer amount of icons there.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

The number of icons was one of the issues forcing the change, from what I read. Implementation is going to be every thing, and they didn't have any screens of that. I really wish they would have, and the right click hold thing will take a bit to get used to. It's a good thing for me that I have a tendency to run through games like this solo, to become familiar with the interface.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

They do need to share the UI with people before release. A interface can make or break a good game. Hope they take input on it.

The only issue I had with the radial was with spells. SO MANY bloody spells, I never remembered which level they were and so on.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Same. You would have to navigate the radial for minutes before finding a spell. This was supoosed to be 'quick access' in theory but in practice it was easier to just drag from the spellbook.