Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cause i am not so extremely used to the new d&d rules i created much senseless characters at the beginning (e.g. an monk who did almost no damage) and "exchanged" them by making a new one and "setcurrentxp"ing him to the same xp as the old was.

would you consider this as cheating?
(want to keep my honour but dont want to play it all from start till chapter 2....
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

i wouldn't call that cheating. hell, as long as you dont make him level 20 or something like that. if you weren't happy with the character, but didn't want to start all the way at the beginning again, then by all means, do as you must. this is just one elf's opinion though.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I did the same thing, and brought my new character up to par with the remainder of the group as though he had always been with them from the beginning. I see that as no problem at all. Afterall...it was only an "exchange"...
Old 09-23-2002, 11:54 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I would prefer to call that as party members experiment. Even in games, we will still have human resorce probelm from time to time.

In any case, if you are simply replacing you old guy with a new one with the same level, it should not spoil you game that much unless you are very concerned about kill %.

I haven't tried this yet but I am thinking of it now as my party is a lacking strong tanks. Here is my current party:

Average level 9-10
1. Fighter
2. Paladin
3. Cleric
4. Druid
5. Sorceress
6. Mage

My fighter and Paladin can dish out some punishments but my human cleric is too weak for a tank. I might want to replace him with a Barbarian/fighter...
Old 09-24-2002, 12:07 AM   #5
espeed
Dungeon Master

anything you do which goes against normal game procedures must be deemed as cheating
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by espeed:
anything you do which goes against normal game procedures must be deemed as cheating
Not all thing is defined as black or white... sometimes some shades of grey will do you good.
Old 09-24-2002, 02:25 AM   #7
Craig Alexander
Elite Waterdeep Guard

But then again, you paid money for the game so feel free to play the game however you like as long as you enjoy playing it.

Cheers

Craig
Craig Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:00 AM   #8
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Alexander:
But then again, you paid money for the game so feel free to play the game however you like as long as you enjoy playing it.

Cheers

Craig
well said and welcome to IW forums !
Old 09-24-2002, 07:51 AM   #9
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by kirdie:
Cause i am not so extremely used to the new d&d rules i created much senseless characters at the beginning (e.g. an monk who did almost no damage) and "exchanged" them by making a new one and "setcurrentxp"ing him to the same xp as the old was.

would you consider this as cheating?
(want to keep my honour but dont want to play it all from start till chapter 2....
No. I've done it myself. Why should I play with a defective character through the latter part of a game as I explore the ramifications of 3E choice as expressed by the developers choices? It's already difficult enough to go through the 3E rules/IWD:II differences due to the "fine print" manual. But to be penalized for dev choices (like Ranger racial enemy groupings being too narrow) as well is unreasonable.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:34 AM   #10
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by espeed:
Instead, he should what? Scuttle hours of play because this game has a very steep planning curve? And does he have free-time available to start all the way over with a new "approved" party?

And what happens if he loses a PC to "chunking?" In a PnP campaign, he'd start with a new character of the appropriate level. To insure the character was properly equipped, the 3E rules even determine the correct "GP" worth of starting equipment.

I could go on, but my task isn't to convince you. It is to rebutt you sufficiently that your comments lose their validity. Replacing characters with equal-level characters falls within the norm the 3E ruleset in game play.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote