Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #21
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
ARRRRRGH! ULTIMA IX!! *shields face and makes a crucifix with his fingers*.
That game was just one great big interactive b-movie. Wouldn't even give it the honour of the name 'Ultima'. Nice graphics though.
And on that note, I'd say that the Ultima series as a whole (barring that god-awful glob of rabbit-guts, Ultima IX) beats the BG series in terms of the best CRPGs of all time, but only just..
I will agree that IX wasn't a fitting end to the Ultima series, but now that I actually have a machine that can play it (I first tried to play it on a 450mhz machine, totally unbearable) I think it's actually a good game on it's own. The Hythloth dungeon, in particular, is quite challenging. (Anyone ever actually finish that one to the proper end? Not the "end" halfway through the dungeon...)

I don't think there's a game out there that beats the immersivity of it's environment, and the graphics are mind boggling. NWN doesn't even come close (now speaking of turds...)
Old 01-01-2003, 12:15 PM   #22
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Myth The Fallen Lords and Myth II along with Pathways into darkness Marathon Marathon 2 Marathon Infinity and Finally Halo (Yes they're all in one big storyline) is the best series of games i know! And they range from strategy to doom-like to FPS [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Are these all on the PC?[/QUOTE]I believe so. All were made by Bungie. I've played Myth II, and that was one of the hardest games I've ever played. I heard Myth I was equally successful, but Myth III looks like it blows. I heard it was made by a different company, now that Bungie has moved towards making Halo 2.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #23
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Oh come on, nobody played Fallout huh. Imo, it wipes the floor with BG and everything else.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #24
Nanobyte

Quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
Oh come on, nobody played Fallout huh. Imo, it wipes the floor with BG and everything else.
You'd have to play everything before you can honestly say that.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #25
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
quote:
Originally posted by the new JR Jansen:
You'd have to play everything before you can honestly say that.[/QUOTE]Well, that's treu but you can make an educated guess, can't you. And i haven't seen anything come out that resembles Fallout's uniqueness and immersion. The SPECIAL system allows for good replayability and total freedom. Also, it's the most non-linear game i've seen. You can go whereever you want, whenever you want. You only have to visit two places to end the game. The rest are optional but add a whole lot to the story. So, again, imo, Fallout is the best. Even better then it's succesor Fallout 2.
Old 01-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #26
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Ahh good job I'm making a total conversion for BG2 then.

In case anyone didn't know....
Well it's not TOTAL because we're keeping the creature graphics and spells but everything else is new.

New story from the start. New NPCs, creatures, kits, items, dialogues, AI you name it. Sorry for the shameless plug Still a while from completion....
but it's not worth making an add-on MOD these days cos no one is gonna play through shadows of amn or throne of bhaal again so you gotta make a whole new story right??
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #27
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
I will agree that IX wasn't a fitting end to the Ultima series, but now that I actually have a machine that can play it (I first tried to play it on a 450mhz machine, totally unbearable) I think it's actually a good game on it's own. The Hythloth dungeon, in particular, is quite challenging. (Anyone ever actually finish that one to the proper end? Not the "end" halfway through the dungeon...)

I don't think there's a game out there that beats the immersivity of it's environment, and the graphics are mind boggling. NWN doesn't even come close (now speaking of turds...)
Well....ok. I'll agree that the graphics are great and the environmental immersion is superb. But that's where Origin went wrong. They fired all of the great writers, storytellers and creative thinkers that made the ultima series great (well, either fired them, or they just quit when they became fed up with working for those Electronic Arts corporate bastards) and simply replaced them with a whole slew of graphic artists. The script, storyline, and voice acting are all terrible. Sorry for being an overly-critical little bitch, but Ultima was the fantasy world for me when I was a kid. I just felt that they raped it with u9.
And yeah, what's with the game not running properly with the RECOMMENDED system specs? Tsk tsk. I got it for my birthday back in 1999 and tried palying it on a pII 400mhz (not bad in those days). It ran like a snail doped up on valium. Just bloody awful.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 AM   #28
andrewas
Harper

All the real talent from Origin left when EA bought them. We saw the same with bullfrog, in fact with most companies that get bought. M$ may be evil, but in the games industry EA have done far more damage.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #29
The Hierophant

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
All the real talent from Origin left when EA bought them. We saw the same with bullfrog, in fact with most companies that get bought. M$ may be evil, but in the games industry EA have done far more damage.
Amen brother
The late 90's were for the gaming industry what the late 70's were for Rock and Roll. The art falls prey to the money machine of 'the industry'... white collar bastards... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 04:51 AM   #30
Vampire

I am making Baldur's Gate III at the moment it will be out in 10 years time at this rate.